Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Storm two nights ago actually pulled one of the bimini loops out of it's sockets. That reminded me of a preventative maintenance item I have never taken care of. Drill a dimple for the hex key to sit into anywhere that you have them. The pressure connection is just not adequate when the joint is put under a severe stress. Not doing that had nearly cost me the $900 Bimini I had installed two days earlier. It was only the strength of the excellent construction by C2canvas that kept the whole thing together.

That Storm two nights ago actually pulled one of the bimini loops out of it's sockets. That reminded me of a preventative maintenance item I have never taken care of. Drill a dimple for the hex key to sit into anywhere that you have them. The pressure connection is just not adequate when the joint is put under a severe stress. Not doing that had nearly cost me the $900 Bimini I had installed two days earlier. It was only the strength of the excellent construction by C2canvas that kept the whole thing together.

When I have lost the small set screws in the past (or lost by PO)...I have gone beyond the dimple (good idea too) and drilled into the inner tube to accept a stubby 1/4" bolt (or whatever the set screws are). Usually they thread right into the tubing but occasionally I have had to tap when it was being stubborn.

Some may not like the lumpy head on the nice clean bimini fitting...but makes tightening a snal and I've never had a bow pull loose from the bolt method.

I waved when you went past Avalon, NJ....see me...:D

I agree that is the strongest option with the aesthetic price to be paid unacceptable to some. In reality had I been really prudent than pulling the canvas would have been best but hey that would have been a PITA. Was that you in the leopard print Speedo waving :)

Just describing that could get you banned...:D

....thankfully no picture for sure...:thumb:

Just describing that could get you banned...:D

....thankfully no picture for sure...:thumb:

Mark had that concern as well so he forwarded the picture and asked the question. Must have been a bit of distortion from the zoom at that distance or something. :flowers::D

Attachments

• fat_mullet.jpg
    fat_mullet.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 285
On marinetraffic you haven't moved in almost three hours. I check on you periodically and it's on the same spot. What happened? You show right off Atlantic City.

I don't know. We definitely have been moving :) albeit even slower than normal thanks to some good head seas most of the day. It has flattened out considerably in the last hour!!

Wow, I just checked and it jumped north many miles. Must have been a glitch in the web page.

Mark, did you anchored there last year (or any time before)?

Been reading about anchoring in NYC and some (also Active Capt) describe an anchorage behind Ellis Island or in the cut to Liberty Landing.

Seems like much of NYC Harbor is restricted and just curious what "enforcement" or none goes on or whether you heard from a good source where to anchor....just curious????

Mark what is your average speed when cruising? You just made the trip I need to make in the next month.
Thanks,
Bill

Mark, did you anchored there last year (or any time before)?

Been reading about anchoring in NYC and some (also Active Capt) describe an anchorage behind Ellis Island or in the cut to Liberty Landing.

Seems like much of NYC Harbor is restricted and just curious what "enforcement" or none goes on or whether you heard from a good source where to anchor....just curious????

I have not. Last year I went rhumb line from Cape May to Cuttyhunk. This is the same Liberty Landing anchorage.

Mark what is your average speed when cruising? You just made the trip I need to make in the next month.
Thanks,
Bill

We cruise at 6.8knts +- tides and currents.

Mark, how many hours a day do you generally run on a delivery, like this? My son and I are going to start moving Stella Maris north from Palm Coast in the ICW this coming weekend. I don't plan to run on anything like a schedule, but don't want to waste daylight hours either. Thanks!

Headed to the Cape Cod Canal, pre-dawn.

ForumRunner_20140623_040730.jpg

ForumRunner_20140623_040753.jpg

Long Island Sound on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon!

Some pics from NYC two nights ago.

ForumRunner_20140623_041005.jpg

ForumRunner_20140623_041025.jpg

ForumRunner_20140623_041040.jpg

ForumRunner_20140623_041107.jpg

Had an engine overheat in the middle of "The Race" in LI Sound. Recalibrated the AP to steer with one engine running than went below and disassembled the entire cooling system to find the problem. Of course it had to be the starboard engine so I had to lean over and around a very hot engine! Turns out of all things it was the two year old thermostat went bad! Well at least now I've taken a good look at the coolers, lines, impeller, hoses, strainer, clamps, thermostat, antifreeze, etc!!! Sometimes it's really nice to have twins.

Mark,

It's always the starboard engine.I had my lift pump go out mid channel and another time my raw water pump's drive connection fail. Always Starboard and over it when it's hot. I carry a small rug below just for that. :mad::mad:

Mark,

It's always the starboard engine.I had my lift pump go out mid channel and another time my raw water pump's drive connection fail. Always Starboard and over it when it's hot. I carry a small rug below just for that. :mad::mad:

For me its always the port engine. The raw water pump is outboard against the fuel tanks. Of course its the only one that has failed twice. The fuel injector pump is just above it and of course it has had two leaks that you need a mirror to identify and get a wrench on. Damn murphy

Making great progress, where did you stay/anchor before the cape cod canal?

We didn't. Straight from Northport to Boston. Now leaving Boston rhumb line to Southwest Harbor. Should be about 26hours. No cell out there so signing off.

Had to detour to Boothbay as the wave angle was unpleasant. Great to be in Maine!!!

ForumRunner_20140624_100714.jpg

Are those head seas or following seas?

We had nearly beam seas. Looking at that for 26+ hours was a why do this?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom