Diesel electric fuel pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dklortie

Vessel Name
Wanderlust III
Vessel Make
Custom Steel Hull
Hi all,
I have a question for someone more knowledgeable then I.

I have a 32' steel hull trawler with a Perkins 4.270 4 cylinder (60hp) diesel engine (mid to late 50's) with a 12volt electric fuel lift pump between the fuel/water filter and the engine. Over the past two weekends, I have gotten more than proficient at bleeding the engine having it die 6 times on me while underway due to lack of fuel. I thought that I was getting air in the line as I had only put fuel in the port tank and shut the valves off on the starboard tank. Well after putting fuel in the starboard tank, opening the valves to both tanks and putting a second hose clamp on every rubber hose connection, I still had it die on me this past weekend requiring bleeding. When it died this weekend, I actually paid attention and found that the fuel pump wasn't running when it died.

So I now realize that it is the fuel pump that has gone south. Here in lies the problem. Original electric pump is a Stewart Warner 82055 which is rated at 7.5psi @ 65gph. After going to every marina and part store within a 50km radius, the only pump that I could come up with for less than $500 was one that is 6-9psi @ 35gph.

The question that I have is, will this pump suffice for my needs, or am I shooting myself in the foot putting the smaller pump in place. I burn about a gallon an hour at cruise (1500rpm @ 6.2knots) so in my mind 35gph should be enough to run the engine. HOWEVER, I know my way around gas engines, but this is a new adventure owning a boat now with a diesel engine in it.

Any guidance would be more than appreciated.

Regards,
Darren

Walbro pumps are around $200 and are diesel rated.

35 gal/hour should be plenty. Just make sure the pump you choose doesn't require a pressure regulator as it would be extra.

dklortie,
Did you buy that boat from Kim Redmond?

My boat has a 40hp engine and burns 1gph. Bought it from an engine distributor that sold lots of engines. They marineized mostly Isuzu and Mitsubishi engines. My Mitsubishi came w a small 12vdc electric fuel pump that says on it's side "Automotive Electronic fuel Pump". Brand name "Facet". I can't remember exactly the cost but it's cheap .. Probably around $50. And probably less flow and pressure than what you've been talking about. Had it for 10 years.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I will pick the pump up and see what happens in the morning.

Eric. I am not sure who the original owner of the boat was. I bought it from a friend who is a marine transporter who bought it from the original owners daughter in Owen Sound Ontario.

Regards,
Darren

Make sure the pump can handle the lift required from the pickup tube to the pump. Lift can be a challenge for some pumps.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

I had the Facet pump mentioned by "Manyboats". I used one with a 50 HP Universal in a sailboat. Good pump and you can get one thru Napa auto parts.

dklortie,
Your Wanderlust is not the boat I know. Sorry.

Re the pump re NAPA I thought so but was foggy on it so didn't mention it. Lots of gasoline things aren't rated for diesel but these little pumps seem to do fine. Perhaps manufacturers are too afraid of being sued. Since they are electrical I thought of having two of them in parallel w appropriate valves so if one quit the other could be switched in quickly. I'm going to have 3 of them in a few days and I'm going to change from engine mount to bulkhead mount but I'll need to sort out the wiring.

Since they are an automotive product they must have low pressure and flow volume. Plenty for my little 40hp. I should also mention that I have had problems w fuel flow to the engine as mentioned on a previous thread but I'm quite sure it's not the pump. But it's part of the system so ? But I have swapped out the pump. That's what I have two pumps.

You should be good with that pump as long as you don't need a lot of lift. For less than $30 I bought a little Mr. Gasket electric pump, 7 psi at 35 gph on Ebay just to transfer fuel and ended up running one of my 6-354's all the way back from Maple Bay, BC to Anacortes and it ran great.

Attachments

• Mr Gasket.jpg
    Mr Gasket.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 112
The fuel pump thing isn't as simple as I thought. Or may not be.

Facet fuel pumps - Google Search

Notice that a lot of specs are missing and that Facet has a lot of outlets. I did read that all facet pumps are diesel compatible. Some or even most do not have anti-siphon valves. Some are solid state and others are not. I think I'll try and get a solid state unit w the anti-siphon valve.

This one looks good and visually it's the same as the pump on my boat. I guess I could run two pumps in parallel running all the time. When one pump failed I could tell by feeling the pumps w key on and off.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=82&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c2692_a_7c9840_a_7c24483

Last edited:
I Have a 4270 and there is no electric pump and there is not originally. I have the work shop manual. The fuel pump-system is intirely mechanical. There is a fuel lift pump with a diaphrame. its activated from a leaver to prime or bleed the system and internally its activated by the pushrod with is activated by timing wheel under the mount.
If there is a electrical pump on your 4270 its after installed perhaps only for for lifting from tansk(s) when bleeding. Or ment as a replacement for the mechanical system. (bad idea)

Back
Top Bottom