Fourth of July Cal Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scary

Guru
Vessel Name
Cary'D Away
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
Anybody going to Manderville for the fourth?

No, not this year. Will probably cruise into the Delta during August for a week or two.

I'm kind of liking my back door view at Angel Island today. 94 degrees in Sacramento today....74 degrees on Angel Island. Gotta grab another IPA...Ahhhhhhh!

img_243020_0_7c2b6a4af7277a0ae70bbd248f6efea8.jpg

One of my favorite places

No, not this year. Will probably cruise into the Delta during August for a week or two.

I'm kind of liking my back door view at Angel Island today. 94 degrees in Sacramento today....74 degrees on Angel Island. Gotta grab another IPA...Ahhhhhhh!

img_243023_0_7c2b6a4af7277a0ae70bbd248f6efea8.jpg
Sounds good

Where is that? Are you proposing a TF raftup?

Too much excitement/craziness for me. ... I'm busy contemplating attending two weddings, resolving dirt-home plumbing problems, and compiling a worklist for my annual boatyard work (bottom treatment, engine maintenance, shower-sump issue, and so on) to be done this summer.

Where is that? ...

Ayala (formerly Hospital) Cove on Angel Island. It's a sanctuary in the teeming San Francisco Bay.

img_243044_0_a62eacf01a5f600081c35142ce13c619.jpg

img_243044_1_cb3ea595cfec811e6d452bb9a603fcfb.jpg

Last edited:
Mandeville is at the Hilton Duck Club, aka the Hilton House, where the Hiltons have sponsored fireworks for over 50 years. It's crazy, it's fun, it's wild!! Definitely rated NC-17 or higher.

Look for Mandeville Point, south of Venice Island. It's only a few miles southeast of your berth. The mayhem is centered on the MOB on the chart.

Attachments

• Mandeville.jpg
    Mandeville.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 142
Well, nc17 work for my wife and kids, so i guess we won't be there. But we could make a raft up somewhere that week if anyone is interested.

Mark, what plumbing issues are you having?

Mark, what plumbing issues are you having?

Toilet running, shut-off valves not working, sink corroding, pipes rusting, yada yada: the sort of things that happen with 25-year old plumbing.

The big crowds and rowdy behavior are a turn off for us too Bligh. We usually hang out near the tule island at the top of Franks Tract.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1403141451.759164.jpg

Can you see the fireworks from there

The big crowds and rowdy behavior are a turn off for us too Bligh. We usually hang out near the tule island at the top of Franks Tract.

View attachment 30662

Believe it or not there were about 10 boats anchored at Manderville already this weekend. I'll be there for several day's if it gets too out of hand I'll move to Mildred Island.
Several years ago I got talked into watching the fireworks with my daughter and friends with her ski boat and returning to Locke that night. Something I will never do again. The exodus of small boats was terrifying. Usually pretty quiet after the show if you just stay put.

I've watched the fireworks from Mildred, but they are underwhelming. There's normally open anchoring near the NE end of Mandy Pt, out in the open water. 15-20 ft depth, good holding bottom. Most use a stern anchor, too. Those who don't can get very close to their stern-anchored neighbors.

Oh I believe it as we cruised past last year the week before and saw about 20 with some raft ups already starting. Mostly large houseboats and a couple large cruisers. The after show exodus is what I wish to avoid as that's perhaps the most dangerous part IMO.

Hey Al, how do you think the view would be from the top side of Franks? It looks like 2.6 miles distance if Navionics is right.

Last edited:
Hey Al, how do you think the view would be from the top side of Franks? It looks like 2.6 miles distance if Navionics is right.

Probably better than Mildreds. I just measured the Mildred distance at 4.6 miles line-of-sight.

Mildred Island

Probably better than Mildreds. I just measured the Mildred distance at 4.6 miles line-of-sight.
Too far to enjoy the fire works. Nice anchorage with lots of room. Buggy close to the levy. I anchor out a hundred yards or more. Not much current and good wind protection. I have quests this year that want to see the action at Manderville.

Last edited:
Yes, Mildred's Island is too far for the fireworks. But we stayed entertained listening to the mayhem on the radios. I remember one guy who was clearly drunk and called Vessel Assist twice after running out of gas both times. It was a few years ago when the winds picked up and blew smoke and ash from a local island fire into the Mandeville crowd. Many revelers complained on the radio of the smoke and ash.

We were very glad to be on Mildred Island that year!

First time in years we will not do 4th in the Delta aboard our Tolly. Planning a long weekend further into summer; several regular length weekends otherwise. Enjoy! :D

Are there fireworks in SF bay? I heard there are fireworks in pittsburg as well but Im not sure if they are on the 4th.

SF pier 39

Fire works are visible around the bay, however SF has a display off pier 39 that can be seen from Clipper Cove. Or if your staying at Ayola Cove can be seen from the Island. Either by walking around the perimeter road or if your up to it, hiking to the top of Mount Livermore. Fog can be an issue, dress warm.

Back
Top Bottom