What is a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I confess; we don't have a trawler. Not an FD one, not an SD one, not a "fast" one, not a duck, not a trawler yacht, not a passagemaker...

Even though we often run it like folks do who have trawlers. I guess that makes our avatar another example of NOT a trawler :)

I think at those times you run it like a trawler then it is one. Makes a very nice one too.

The centerline queen bed and the rounded buttock line of my land trawler didn't seem to draw much chick attention.

Attachments

• land trawler.jpg
    land trawler.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 60
Wifey B: Boy, you dudes.....well, the good thing is we don't have to spend money on that. Although both Jenn and I have been asked many times if we've had it done....that's just plain rude.

I neither ask nor glare! :ermm: :D

There's always other cool ways to handle that situation! :dance:

Especially aboard a "Trawler"!! Ain't swimming FUN!!!

Guys, before you get too intrigued with this sidebar, I have it on good authority that "Wifey B" is actually Marin in iDrag. :eek:

Strictly kidding, Mrs. B. :D

Greetings,
To Wifey B: My humblest apologies for those of my sex who have dragged this post into the depths of lechery. For those degenerates who MUST. Here's a picture of a nice pair....
th

Speaking for myself, I'm MUCH too polite to comment on boobies.

Guys, before you get too intrigued with this sidebar, I have it on good authority that "Wifey B" is actually Marin in iDrag. :eek:

Strictly kidding, Mrs. B. :D

Wifey B: Funny, I've seen Marin referred to many times. Going to have to use the search to see the source of his notoriety. Obviously we weren't here for it.

Wifey B: No, silly. Jenn and Tabitha are two of our girl friends. They are with us at the moment.

Ah.

Got it.

And all three of you are able to turn Hubby B into a...

OK, I understand.

:)

-Chris

Greetings,
To Wifey B: My humblest apologies for those of my sex who have dragged this post into the depths of lechery. For those degenerates who MUST. Here's a picture of a nice pair....
th

Speaking for myself, I'm MUCH too polite to comment on boobies.

Wifey B: They are....I like them too. I admit it...hehe. Those look to be something like maybe 42G as they're currently positioned.

Did you notice their feet are different colors or did you not look at their feet?

Oh and hubby and I and friends are going to explore in the tender a while, so you'll have to continue without me distracting you.

If we go slow is the tender then a trawler? It's got a 120 hp Weber I think so guess not since it's not diesel, plus it will go 40 knots. Oh well.....bye bye for now.

Last edited:
I think at those times you run it like a trawler then it is one. Makes a very nice one too.

Looks even more trawler-ish when we remount the dinghy on the stern after I get tired of fishing.

No, it doesn't really :)

Although I guess I could legitimately say it's a troller during our early striped bass season.

:)

-Chris

Last edited:
Hmmm... about a '47 Hudson? Or...?

-Chris

Close. A 1950 Nash. It didn't help at all when I moved to this sleek rocket-nosed Stude. I thought at least the illusion of a semi-plaining land-trawler would get some attention at the Dairy Dip. Production planing land-trawlers didn't really get going for sure till Brodrick Crawford sported his 55 Buick Century.

Attachments

• 1950_studebaker_commander_100010651_s.jpg
    1950_studebaker_commander_100010651_s.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 120
  • highwayPatrol01.jpg
    highwayPatrol01.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 61
Me thinks B and Wifey B are one in the same. What say you?

That thought crossed my mind a long time ago.
If not, they would/should have created two separate accounts.

MODS ... what say you?

Two very distinct persons. Flywright has been sent our individual emails. There are others who know us from another site where we have separate accounts. That was complicated since we often read together on a single phone or tablet as we'd have to sign out and in to post.

I would think our styles are distinct but maybe after 14 years together they aren't. I'm the serious one. She's the fun one.

Oh and we did ask early if sharing the account was a problem, the first time someone brought it up. And I'm typing now because she's driving the rib. Well, mostly dictating, but correcting autotype's.

It was midnight blue, and shaped like a flattened torpedo. Its headlights were under glass, and there were louvers on its long hood. Instead of a grille, there was an empty oval with a chrome bar across it.

I reached for the door handle on the driver's side. The first thing I noticed was that my fingers didn't go all the way through. Interesting.

The second thing I noticed was that unlike the case with the other cars in the showroom, the door was locked.

My mom found a salesman and deferentially asked whether five-year-old me might be allowed to sit in the car. To his credit, the salesman was happy to unlock the car for me.

When the door opened, I was almost knocked over by the intense smell of tanned leather. If I concentrate, I can still smell it.

Once I clambered into the driver's seat, I was confronted by an angry gold cat, silently growling at me at eye level from the hub of the steering wheel. The second thing I noticed was a long row of toggle switches in the middle of the dash. I've loved toggle switches ever since.

That gentlemen is how you describe an E Type

That gentlemen is how you describe an E Type

That's true, but any accurate description of an E-type would have to be poetic. Those other than poets (or at least the feelings) wouldn't know. The scent of leather, the richness of burlwood and the tease of a twin overhead-cam 3.8 or 4.2.....all shaped by passion instead of rationality. I mean come-on. Poetry.

Why is it that I listened to jazz or classical in my Jag and Rock & Roll in my American Muscle?

Close. A 1950 Nash. It didn't help at all when I moved to this sleek rocket-nosed Stude. I thought at least the illusion of a semi-plaining land-trawler would get some attention at the Dairy Dip. Production planing land-trawlers didn't really get going for sure till Brodrick Crawford sported his 55 Buick Century.

I think Nash would have been my second guess, but from memory I expected that shape to be older than '50. Carry over from post-war (which were mostly pre-war) designs... So much for memory. In this case, looks like the change started in '49, largely evidenced by incorporating the wheel wells into the main body, versus the protruding fenders of the '48s...

Two different renditions of "bullet-nose," on the Studebaker and the Buick. :)

-Chris

Last edited:
I think Nash would have been my second guess, but from memory I expected that shape to be older than '50. Carry over from post-war (which were mostly pre-war) designs... So much for memory. In this case, looks like the change started in '49, largely evidenced by incorporating the wheel wells into the main body, versus the protruding fenders of the '48s...

Two different renditions of "bullet-nose," on the Studebaker and the Buick. :)

-Chris
I had a 4 door 59 Studebaker Lark wow did that not impress the girls in high school!
Bill

You have an advantage on us as many of you can remember riding in these cars you're discussing. To us, they're only cars we've seen in car shows. I think the one that surprised us most was when we sat in a Packard once at a show. We did not realize they were such large luxury vehicles.

Yeah, I remember driving our '53 Studebaker pickup...

-Chris

I had a 4 door 59 Studebaker Lark wow did that not impress the girls in high school

Fortunately the HS girls impressed by the cars owned by HS boys probably would not impress you today.

It seems that we have concluded that what is often called trawlers and 1950 Nashs have a lot in common. Form is much more important than function and neither particularly well suited for their intended purpose.

Last edited:
Wifey B: You dudes sure lost me around the point of Studebaker's and Nash's. Next it's going to be model T's. Or was the horse and buggy the trawler of it's period? Of course won't be long till we mention Oldsmobile and younger people say "What's that?" Then I'll feel old. Say "Plymouth" now and the word association will be "Rock". I do think some of the older cars are cute but don't think I'd want to drive them every day.

I do laugh at SUV's. They're freaking station wagons you know. I mean like for real. Everyone makes fun of station wagons and they died. You only see them on old tv shows. Now SUV's. Now you tell me what's the difference in an Escalade and a station wagon? We have a Mercedes station wagon I guess...And vans? They're buses.

A rose by any name still has thorns....

If you frequent auto enthusiast websites, you'll find estate cars and station wagons are cool to young people. Go figure.

I loved my Volvo 740 turbo and I still like my HJ62 Land Cruiser.

If you frequent auto enthusiast websites, you'll find estate cars and station wagons are cool to young people. Go figure.

I loved my Volvo 740 turbo and I still like my HJ62 Land Cruiser.

Wifey B: Yeah even cool to those who had they been alive back then wouldn't have been caught dead in one. We're funny how we choose particular things to like. Almost everyone collects something. And how we end up on the something we choose, who knows. Makes you wonder what of the things we use today people will collect 30 years and 50 years from now. I mean look around you and think of all the modern conveniences which will be non existent and obsolete.

Scene 30 years from now: "I collect hybrids. Well, yes, they had them because they couldn't go far enough on batteries so had to have both. I know. What a waste. They are cute though. They were so backwards back then weren't they."

Another scene: "Microwaves. Yes, dangerous too. We all couldn't have worn our heart stimuli back then. And they were so proud of 3 minutes warming. And now we just set it on the pad and 5 seconds, it's warm. But that was the olden days."

All this reminiscing does that suggest that trawlers what ever they are ,are the old man old girl boat type. Re; Studebaker and Packard, I drove a souped up barely street legal 56 Studebaker-Packard Golden Hawk back when. Definitely not an old mans machine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom