Tampa Bay Anchorages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bsterk

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
Going to spend my first night on the hook in the Tampa Bay area. Any recommendations or favorite locations on the Pinellas side of the bay (anywhere from Johns Pass around the point to Snell Island area is where I am looking, but could expand area if needed).

Admirals first night not attached to a dock, so need to make sure it is as protected as possible (light winds predicted for the night, so there shouldn't really be much to worry about).

McPherson's Bayou near St. Pete Beach at 27 degrees 42' 40.77"N, 082 degrees, 43' 50.25"W. Quiet, out of the way, yet in the middle of a neat residential area. Good holding in about 8-10'.

A bit farther afield--near Longboat Key 27 degrees 26' 12"N, 082 degrees 40' 48.21"W. Of this two, I'd recommend this more than the other as there are restaurants, bars and a great beach for walking nearby. Good holding in sand with about 8' at low tide. Watch for the tidal flow as it can get quirky with the change of tide.

Great recommendations, thanks Capt. K and VT. I think Longboat Key is a little further from home than I am willing to roam on this first go around, maybe next time out after a successful weekend. McPherson's easy for me to get to, any issues with noise or other issues from the Bayway bridge construction? If so i may run up a little further to Veterans, seems like an easy enough anchorage.

I don't recall any noise issues, but there was no construction going on while we visited McPherson Bayou. Enjoy your cruise!

Gulfport is not far and an ideal anchorage.

A City Dink Dock and plenty of local resturiants.

Tuesday is street fair day.

Wound up in Gulfport, great rec FF. Don't have the dink yet, but there's also several slips at the muni dock. Gorgeous night and morning on the hook.

You may also want to venture out to the Manatee river to Desoto point. Anchor on the north side, more space and safer for the people who drag anchor. Also the Vinoy basin in St Pete on Tampa Bay side
Enjoy
Capt Don

You may also want to venture out to the Manatee river to Desoto point. Anchor on the north side, more space and safer for the people who drag anchor. Also the Vinoy basin in St Pete on Tampa Bay side
Enjoy
Capt Don

The Vinoy anchorage has been good in all but strong easterly winds when you can get a bad surge into the harbor. The plan was to install moorings there. Is anchoring still allowed?

No anchoring allowed in Vinoy since they installed moorings. Very popular place because of city front, secure dingy dock, showers and laundry. Free pump out also available.

A dingy is a must to really enjoy the downtown.

Last edited:
Behind eggmont key is popular day anchorage as are several of the spoil islands in the north bay.

I am an Egmont Key frequent flyer and anchor on the east side--it can get crowded though. Most boaters tend to frown on overnight anchorage their because it is not well protected. The biggest issue with my overnight stay at Egmont was the constant crying of seagulls and other birds! My little one and I had a great sleep but wifey was not happy! Nevertheless, it is one of my favorite places to visit.

I will second Egmont Key. Sometimes the pilot boat leaves its slip late at night but the noise and wake are soon gone. We saw a whale there diving in the ship channel.

Cleaning water tanks

I have two 100 gal. water tanks on my CHB. Been adding choline periodically, but would like to really clean them. Any suggestions?

I have two 100 gal. water tanks on my CHB. Been adding choline periodically, but would like to really clean them. Any suggestions?
Are the tanks Aluminum? If so Chlorine is really hard on Aluminum tanks.
Bill

Not strictly in Tampa bay but Desoto point on the manatee is popular as is the area between longboat key and Jewfish key near ICW marker 39.

A sheltered but seldom used anchorage is Terra ciea bay. Be careful to follow the markers as the channel has an unexpected loop.

Desoto Point is good as long as winds from the south or west. East and north winds can make it uncomfortable. I really like the anchorage near Long Boat Pass. It can be a little tricky to get in. From the north a narrow channel along the bridge. From the south watch the shallows as you find the opening. Plenty of water in the anchorage as much as 15'. Dinghy ride to a good restaurant.

All these photos are from the Jew Fish Key anchorage. first two photos are looking northeast and east toward Jew Fish Key. The 3rd photo is looking south toward the GICW and Sarasota Bay. The 4th photo is looking north at low tide showing the shoal you will pile up on if coming from the north you don't take the narrow channel along the bridge.

Attachments

• CIMG0094.jpg
    CIMG0094.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 133
  • CIMG0095.jpg
    CIMG0095.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 123
  • CIMG0096.jpg
    CIMG0096.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 133
  • CIMG0097.jpg
    CIMG0097.jpg