Cat 3208 NA Exhaust Risers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bustlebomb

Vessel Name
Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Make
1981 34 Californian LRC
Wondering why my engines are running hot....I think I found the reason why. This is the best looking one out of the four. One of them is down to only one hole that is not blocked.

My question...Caterpillar wants $530 each (times 4) and they are back ordered (they have one in stock here and one in Belgium which means international shipping and that still only covers two out of the four I need).

Anybody have any helpful suggestions on where to purchase (based on both availability and price)?

Attachments

• image-2930683665.jpg
    image-2930683665.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 327
I called them. Dave is a nice guy. A couple of issues came up.

1. They only make dry risers with a heat blanket on it. The water injection changes to a fitting at the top of the riser where it attaches to the exhaust elbow. It comes with a 1" thick fiberglass blanket. I'm not familiar with the positives/negatives of the dry riser (longevity, heat in the engine room, noise, etc. )

2. The risers are $750 each ($225 more per riser or an extra 1,000 bucks).

3. (Most crucial) He is in the process of moving and wouldn't be able to build me risers until the middle of July. This puts my boat down for a month!

I did call caterpillar and they have located risers for me (two domestically, one in Belgium, and one in Africa). I am amazed that, on an engine that is this common in the marine world, they do not have ready stock for a fairly common replacement part.

I have a dry exhaust, wrapped from the turbo. You do not have to worry about heat or noise. I can put my hand on the exhaust with the engine running.

The only thing to be very careful of, that the water is injected high enough above the water line. A lot of the install photos from that site show (IMHO) some pretty scary installations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom