France made Motorola alternator replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldenstar38

Vessel Make
Goldenstar sportfisher
Is anyone aware of an alternator replacement that will replace the Motorola, France made alternator?
It is installed on a Perkins Range 4, 6 cyl turbo, 1985 vintage.
There are not any numbers on the factory label unfortunately, other the Motorola, France

Take the alternator to a local alternator/starter shop and they can match up a replacement. They can also test it, and possibly repair it. Problem could also be with a remote regulator, if it has one.

I have no issue matching or even adapting an alternator if an exact replacement cannot be found. However, part of my concern adapting an alternator is maintaining the tachometer reading. I thought the Perkions tach signal voltage was derived from the alternator, possibly an AC voltage signal? If an exact replacement cannot be found, how do I restore the tach signal?

The AC sends a pulse depending on the number of poles on the alternator. In most cases the back of your tach will have a jumper that can be reset if required.

The alternator will have an R terminal for the tach signal. You will likely have to re calibrate the tach however.

Back
Top Bottom