Heavy duty telescoping stern ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
Can anyone direct me to a manufacturer of a heavy duty telescoping ladder like one in the photo (49 ft GB) that secures to transom and angles downward, also securing to swim platform? I need it to be strong enough to allow a scuba diver to come up with a tank

IMG_2271[1].jpg

Probably someone (not me) can direct you. My query is more as to why the diver would want to come up with a tank on? Kind of dangerous. We always take them off in the water. Only time I ever tried to get on the boat with a tank on was when a shark was in hot pursuit. Levitated, for the first and only time in my life.

Last edited:
re: kind of dangerous. Not with a strong ladder. Yes, an option is to take tank off at surface and pass to someone on platform. Much better to also have option for diver to ascend ladder.

Can anyone direct me to a manufacturer of a heavy duty telescoping ladder like one in the photo (49 ft GB) that secures to transom and angles downward, also securing to swim platform? I need it to be strong enough to allow a scuba diver to come up with a tank

View attachment 30555

a little confused...swim platform to cockpit or water to swim platform?

if swim platform to cockpit, then why telescoping? (unlike picture?)

if from water to swim platform and you want sturdy...telescoping wouldn't be my choice..I'd go for a dive ladder made with heavy duty attachment point to platform and single pole wit separate legs off each side.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
From water to platform or all the way to cockpit. May be hard to tell, but lower part of ladder in picture can telescope to several rungs below surface. So a swimmer or a diver can ascend from water to platform, or continue all the way to cockpit.

a little confused...swim platform to cockpit or water to swim platform?

if swim platform to cockpit, then why telescoping? (unlike picture?)

if from water to swim platform and you want sturdy...telescoping wouldn't be my choice..I'd go for a dive ladder made with heavy duty attachment point to platform and single pole wit separate legs off each side.

You want a ladder like this if you are having divers on and off your boat.. much easier to traverse with fins on...

the going up and down ladders is the least of the dangers when diving...LOL

While this probably isn't what you're looking for, it's important to establish the benchmark (IMO :socool:) by which all others should be measured. Besides, every thread needs a little highjack. :rolleyes:

Treads should be close together, flat on top, and have a non slip surface. Ladder should have hand holds that you can walk through and align with a transom door. Ladder should have open sides so that the diver can climb it with fins on. A solid mounting system is very important.

DSCN0788.jpg

The ladder should be inclined so that it is easy to climb and easy to stay on. Sturdy mounting and a positive locking device are important for diver safety. Hanging down deep into the water is also important for easy access.

DSCN0793.jpg

And now back to your thread. ;)

Ted

Mine: it's 10'6" and 6' in the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 79
re: kind of dangerous. Not with a strong ladder. Yes, an option is to take tank off at surface and pass to someone on platform. Much better to also have option for diver to ascend ladder.

Certainly do not disagree with that. The more options, the better. And of course different conditions for different places. When we dive here (Gulf of Mexico), spearfishing, the diver generally comes up pretty much exhausted, and there is a lot of boat motion. So we try to make it as easy for the diver to get out of the water as possible. Most dive boats will do the same in all the places that I have been (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, etc.). But hey, your boat, your diver. :)

Back
Top Bottom