To Craig by boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Here's some of the pics I took on my way (Sat,Sun,Mon) to Craig where I can have Willy hauled to do a bit of work on her. Wanted to go elsewhere but the weather went to 25 to 30 knots and 7 to 8' seas.

Attachments

• sth71173.jpg
    sth71173.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 65
  • sth71174.jpg
    sth71174.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 77
  • sth71187.jpg
    sth71187.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 66
  • sth71188.jpg
    sth71188.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 77
  • sth71192.jpg
    sth71192.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 73
  • sth71193.jpg
    sth71193.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 73
  • sth71197.jpg
    sth71197.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 63
  • sth71203.jpg
    sth71203.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 76
  • sth71205.jpg
    sth71205.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 78
  • sth71212.jpg
    sth71212.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 75
EricNice!!! I love those foggy mornings with "some" visibility.

Beautiful! I could SO get into boating up in the PNW!!!!

Woodsong,I wish I was a young man * *..I'd start a charter business for guy's like you. I don't know if you can charter a U-drive up here or not. You can in Puget Sound though.

Carey,
Always nice to see you pop up. Fog and very low clouds are'nt exactly a morning thing here. These pictures were taken in the middle of the afternoon. Frequently or much of the time the outer coast is like this and in the fall * * ..most all the time.

For all,
The 1st two pics were taken in Northern Clarence Strait (inside waters).
Pics 2-4 were taken on the outer coast at the SW end of Sumner Strait.
The 6th pic is of a little Islet w a white sand beach.
The last 3 were taken in Dry Pass at the northern end of ElCaptain Passage. There are lots of "inside waters" just inside of the outer coast on the west side of POW Island.

Seeing those pics Eric, I think it answered the question I put on the other board about why you anchor so deep. My comparison with Fiordland was somewhat closer than I thought. That being the case....the sooner you get that winch set up, with 30' (not 10' - the length of the boat remember) of 3/8 chain and 200' of your nylon rode, and a big 44lb Manson Claw, Supreme or Rocna on it, the better, (seeing you can't get SARCA over there yet apparently). Then you just forget all those other, (using the word advisedly and ducking)- rubbish anchors, like ABC, CQR, XYZ, Danforths, Castles or Fortresses or whatever, because that's all too much hassle and trouble, and get enjoying those beautiful places to the MAX, ok? And no....that was not a suggestion to go and add a SuperMax either. Tooooo many anchors in your repertoire already.....
Did you enquire if the supplier would trade your (smaller) Manson Supreme?

Beautiful Eric!
My son spent 3 or 4 years working on the fishing and crab boats in Alaska. I always enjoy looking at the pics as I have never been there. I will some day.

Dude,
*Your area so looks like Prince William Sound. I think the mountains here are bigger. Steeper anyway

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 5th of August 2010 12:33:16 PM

SD,Yes. You've got much bigger mountains. The tallest mountain on POW Is is a little over 3000'. Too high for this old dude to climb up to the top * *.. well I prolly could but wouldn't be that much fun. We've got lots of small mountains though.
Boy that anchor sticks WAY out on your bow. Looks like a Bruce. I saw a Bruce at Craig that was on the bow of a fish boat and bent about 2" * *..the shank. I didn't know they were that malleable. Here's some of our biggest mountains.

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 7th of August 2010 08:12:09 AM

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 376.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 376.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 64
Eric:*

It looks like you went through El Capitan at Low Water!* Much braver than I!
Thanks for the photos.

OS

Old *Salt,*

Good to hear from you and where have you been? Tom and Jan White (Sunchaser) wer'e by earlier this summer. Sorta hoped We'd see you but * * .....
It was sort of a flip flop for me * * *..El Cap was almost boring and Dry Pass was beautiful and exciting.
Brave??? Not really. Youv'e got to stay in the channel but it's dredged plenty deep for me (3.5 my draft). Going right through all that kelp was the only brave part of it. So much Kelp there was no point in doing anything w the helm to avoid it. I may go back there w my skiff and trailer. Right after I went through a 55 to 65 footer named White Rabbit entered the pass at close to 10 knots. I wonder how he did w the Kelp. He was so anxious to get in there he just about pushed me aside. I could have spat into his aft cockpit as we passed *..he going twice as fast ???
We're on the hard finishing up the work and will launch friday. Perhaps I'll find a bit of and not too much adventure coming back to Thorne Bay. OR *.. *maybe I'll rent a slip in Craig for awhile.
Please throw in your 2 bits to the anchor thread. Iv'e been hoping for you and Richard Cook * * ..maybe Cook did make a post??

Eric

nomadwilly wrote:

SD,

Boy that anchor sticks WAY out on your bow. Looks like a Bruce.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 7th of August 2010 08:12:09 AM
Yeah,
*** *I got a deal on some HDPE. FREE. *I intend on cutting it down, to much flex. UHMW is great stuff but you can't seal anything to it. I need a better idea.

*SD

Hi Eric!*

We're here in Thorne Bay at the transient dock.* Come by and say hello if you like,

skipper,We've goy lots of yellow cedar. I'll send you a piece if you send dimensions.

Eric

We saw White Rabbit in several places this summer. No kelp showing.

Back
Top Bottom