Hershine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you thank you! I love the boating community!

I will garner the books mentioned right away.

Thank you for the info on the chains, I have seen reference to link length, didn't really make sense till now..

Ahhhhh toilets. So one toilet is what I believe is called an electro san? The other is a more typical looking NASA designed multi handle toilet.

Before I open that can of... well ... um "worms" if I am going to start a discussion about toilets is there a specific thread, or maybe even its own forum :) about marine toilets?

I wanted to share this little bit with you all...

So my closing date on my house slipped a week, CO was VERY cool and didn't pitch a fit, in fact he sent along this snippet...

He is taking the boat to port townsend from bainbridge island to be ready for haul out and survey...
I had sent an email about the date change.. he sent back he was OK with it, then a little later sent this..

"On the way to Port Townsend, Sitting back with autopilot driving, tv playing a game, fireplace is on.... sweet ride!"

Wow, when I looked up Nigel Calder books, he also has done works explaining einstiens relativity?!! Holy Cow, I hope I don't have to understand Einstien to maintain the boat!

The only thing I can think of is that Rebecca's brightwork book is out of print and there is a very high demand for it. We bought our hardbound copy new in a marine store--- Fisheries, West Marine, I don't remember-- not long after buying the GB. As I recall the cover price was thirty-something dollars.

A quick perusal of internet hits showed some used paperback copies in the thirty dollar range.

There was a current atlas published in this area a long time ago called Cap'n Jack's Current Atlas. Just a basic large paperback book, it covered the area from Puget Sound to the north end of Vancouver Island/Cape Caution if not farther up. It's the only current atlas to my knowledge that's ever covered this wide a range. The atlas itself never goes out of date: every year they published the tables that you used to determine which current chart in the atlas matched the day and time you were interested in.

The atlas went out of print years ago but somebody kept publishing the annual current tables (and still does). Problem is the tables are useless without the atlas. I managed to find a copy from a used bookstore on the internet and bought it for about $25. It was in near-new condition. A few years later I was looking to see if they were still available used as a friend was interested in getting one. I was stunned to see prices in the $200-plus dollar range.

So I don't know what the deal is with Rebecca's book. New, it didn't cost anywhere even close to what the prices I saw at Amazon and so on are. But if you can come up with a copy for a price you're willing to pay, it's a great book to have if you have a boat with wood that wants a bright finish on it.

Last edited:
I noticed at Amazon that she has a 13 chapter smaller book, looks like it might be more of a "rubber meets the road" (whats the maritime version of that saying?) type book for a lot less. I ordered it, supposed to come available today.

I have a 1979 Hershine Trawler in Nanoose Bay, B.C.. In my travels up north and around the Gulf Islands, I have only seen one other. It seems that they are rare, not enough to have a rendezvous I guess.

I looked at a 1979 hershine 37 today for sale in Berkly Ca. I was trying to find out some information on the company that built them to decide if i want to buy one or not. Basic DeFever design with a bit wider walkaround at the sacrafice of interior room. The name of this one is Zephyr # 4010048.
Doi you know anything about them?

Rocna 25

Congrats on your Hershine purchase. We are currently doing the Great Loop in ours. It is perfect for guests with the two state rooms and heads. We had a Knock-off CQR that got us into trouble and bought a Rocna 25 that has worked beautifully. We also knew nothing about cruising and have learned along the way. You will too. And by the way, we are from Ashland, OR and bought our boat in Florida last June.

Welcome to the club, Osprey37! Tell us more about your Loop trip sometime.

Hershine 37 same boat as Albin 36

In the process of researching a Hershine 37 I found out from Brian Smith @ ADC that the Albin 36 and the Hershine 37 are one and the same boat, all made at the Hershine Yard. His family sold them all the Lehman 120's found in almost all of them. The Hershines were sold mostly on West Coast and the Albins on the East Coast. Once you look at a few on Yachtworls, you will see, they are the same. 11 Hershine 37s and 81 Albin 36 on YW currently.

Yes, the hull, deck, and structure all seem to be the same with a few differences. Access to the bridge on stb side. Master cabin layout a bit different with no aft entry and head/tub aft. Everything else seems basically the same. I wonder if the hull is a foot shorter - why the 36 instead of the 37??? Engine compartment seems identical. I love mine.

I think that the Marine Trader 36 is out of the same mold as well. I would be interested to know how many of these boats that are Ford 120 powered are marinized by bowman from England vs Lehman. I too am very comfortable with our boat. There is always wishing there is a little more room for storage but over all it suits us well. Single engine, bow thruster and all the comforts of home and the ability to travel along way with low fuel consumption.

Attachments

• 244.jpg
    244.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 423
Do you ever use your steadying sail? I took my mast down to paint it and enjoyed the openness to the sun deck without the standing rigging. Now that it is back up I wonder if I will ever use it? I don't have radar so I don't need the mast as a platform. The next time I go out on a breezy day in the San Francisco Bay I will hoist it and see if it indeed steadys the ride.

Hi all you 37 owners. I am looking into buying a 37 Hershine. Any advise a pre owner should look out for or know? All advise will be well taken. Thanks,

I recently purchased a 1987 37' Hershine Newburyport and love it. It's a 1987 so shopping for newer equipment.

Hershine Boats

I've just done some serious research on Hershine Boats, since I'm in the process of possibly buying one in Everett, WA, a 1980 model 37' with a single Ford Lehman in her. I've discovered that the company went from being a fishing fleet in Taiwan of 12 boats to building their own boats, then using the same trawler hulls to build pleasure craft, starting in 1977... Noting that several of you have posted with 1978 or 1979 models, you were among the first ones they built for the export market. In 1982, Jefferson Boats approached them about expanding their product line to build motor yachts and trawlers for them, as they wanted to do more than just houseboats. Hence they've been continuously expanding, now with a mainland China plant for the smaller boats under 50', with the original Taiwan plant building just the larger custom orders, with over 150 employees just in the Taiwan plant.

My wife and I have given up the "big dream" of converting our 1978 Chien Hua 39' Heritage from a Tri-Cabin to a Europa-style with raised Pilot House, and are hoping to not lose too much of our initial investment in selling her as a "project boat," since all the plywood under the fiberglass shell of the cabin and decks rotted out due to sloppy care by the previous owners... I bought it as a "sweat equity investment," not realizing just how much work she would really be... Too much work and money for the limited potential of return if we have to sell it, so rather than invest so much into the year+ project, we just will settle for a boat in close configuration to the one we already have, but in usable condition. If I make the deal on the 37' Hershine, it will be a very safe investment, since I'm getting it about $15-K below market value, and everything is in good shape except the Onan Generator, which is partially disassembled... But I have been doing generator repair work for more than 35 years, so will either repair or replace it.

Last edited:
It appears that many different brands of Taiwan-constructed boats shared the same basic hull configurations, especially in the late-'70's and early-'80's... Indeed, many brands were built as basic hulls, then erected by different "families" which consisted of different crews who rotated through the different actual marketing companies. Chien Hua no longer builds boats for export under their own name to the USA, but their factory produces the Kady Krogen line, as well as several other brands.

JJ-has Chien Hwa changed their name? KKs are built by Asia Harbor Boat Builders.

Churn Hua/Kady Krogen

The word I got when researching my own CH was that they were no longer marketing under their original name, since numerous family members were using the "CHB" initials, the biggest being Chien's close relative, Chung Hua, who died in a motorcycle wreck several years ago, but whose family yet carries on the business. Like many other Taiwan-based boat builders, with the unification of China, they have opened new plants on the Mainland to capitalize on cheaper labor & materials, retaining their best products for their Taiwan plants... Outsourcing happens there, too! With their major line being KK now, their name needed to change to have no confusion with "CHB". They also build several other brands in the same factories, all marketed under DIFFERENT company names... The very same manufacturing plants can bear several names!

My wife and I should close on our 37 hershine later this week. We are very excited and have many questions about different things on our new boat!

Hershine 37

Congrats, I'm sure you will like yours as much as we do ours. What was the year? I'm always curious to see the different layouts that come in these boats.

Ours is a 1981 there will be more pics after I take possession and start cleaning her up.

Ours is a 1981 there will be more pics after I take possession and start cleaning her up.
Congrats so where are the pictures? I'm just joking but pictures would be nice.
Bill

All I have right now is when she was hauled out for the survey. I ll try to get that one up.

Well I did get some pictures in an album. Not to tech savy but I am gonna need all the help I can get with this project.

We just purchased our Hershine 37. A 1980 IN everett wa.

Hope you love yours as much as I love my 1987

Hope you love yours as much as I love my 1987

Ditto, My 79. I am in the process of adding radar,chart plotter to the bridge. Modified the mast to support the extra weight of the open array antenna. Plus some standing rigging. Pics are coming. Lets see some of the new boat as soon as you can. I Know it's a busy time though. That's mine on the website header as you sign out.

Back
Top Bottom