What is a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Art but unlike your boat adding power to mine won't increase it's speed.
Bill

Thanks Art but unlike your boat adding power to mine won't increase it's speed.
Bill

Bill

IMHO - No matter LOA (65' +/- or below, that is): Displacement, Planing, Sedan, Fly Bridge, Tri Cabin, Twins/Single Screw, Gas/Diesel, Catamaran or otherwise... etc, etc... for boats that are either completely or even pretty much self-contained; when they are used as fun cruisers or even for dock sitters = "Pleasure Cruiser"! :thumb:

Happy Boat Nomenclature Daze! - Art :speed boat:

On the GulfStar 36, I do not know. The GulfStar motorsailers I have looked at have all been pure displacement hulls, mostly with twin Perkins 4-236s. I do love the old Perkins engines. Not much on the "manicoolers" but thats any easy fix. To my way of thinking the 4-236 is a really good trawler engine. I also like the 6-354. Both good solid reliable iron. If the 36 mk11 has the same hull then trawler it is, no doubt.

Trawlers are cool.

A trawler is whatever boat I own.

A trawler is not the boat you own.

Unless I think you have a cool boat, then it's a trawler.

:)

The problem with the Trawler designation is that this site is the Trawler forum and maybe there is no such thing as a Trawler? I for one would love to see the people running the site define what a trawler is and I am not looking for the cop out definition recently printed in a major boating publication defining a trawler as any boat you would like to cruise and spend time on there are lots of other words for that like boat.

My 36 Mark II has the Mazda Perkins 4-154M's similar to the 4-236M but obviously less hp 62hp per side. The hull out of the water looks to be a true displacement hull. I really don't know the answer but I'll be happy calling it my trawler.
Bill

On a side note, You never hear a Krogen 42 owner calling his boat anything but a trawler or anyone else calling it anything else, it just is. If you own a true trawler you know it. If you dont and thats what you want it to be then you can just say it is and therefor thats what it is. But, very few of us actually "trawl" or even have a trawl net on the boat, let alone a pair of boards. I do carry a sport net and a little bitty set of trawl boards, just for rec. shrimp season. That still doesnt make my sporty a trawler.

On a side note, You never hear a Krogen 42 owner calling his boat anything but a trawler or anyone else calling it anything else, it just is. If you own a true trawler you know it. If you dont and thats what you want it to be then you can just say it is and therefor thats what it is. But, very few of us actually "trawl" or even have a trawl net on the boat, let alone a pair of boards. I do carry a sport net and a little bitty set of trawl boards, just for rec. shrimp season. That still doesnt make my sporty a trawler.

Then, in your opinion, are they the only "true trawler?"

Seriously though, a trawler is a specific type and rigged commercial boat. Recreational boats called trawlers are typically heavy, slow displacement boats that can be operated at good economy.

If you ask the typical boater in a marina what a trawler is and they'll point to a Grand Banks or Monk designed tri cabin layout with a mast. If you asked that same person what a motor yacht is they'd likely point at a sundeck or flush deck model.

Is the above correct? Debatable. But since I pointed out in my humorous post that trawlers are cool, most all manufacturers and brokers call their boat trawlers to attract sales.

JMHO, YMMV

Seriously though, a trawler is a specific type and rigged commercial boat. Recreational boats called trawlers are typically heavy, slow displacement boats that can be operated at good economy.

If you ask the typical boater in a marina what a trawler is and they'll point to a Grand Banks or Monk designed tri cabin layout with a mast. If you asked that same person what a motor yacht is they'd likely point at a sundeck or flush deck model.

Is the above correct? Debatable. But since I pointed out in my humorous post that trawlers are cool, most all manufacturers and brokers call their boat trawlers to attract sales.

JMHO, YMMV

"Yachts" is a word argued about just as much as "Trawlers". Everyone has their own opinion. We don't one a trawler or yacht or cruiser or sportsfisherman or downeaster or anything....just boats.

"Yachts" is a word argued about just as much as "Trawlers". Everyone has their own opinion. We don't one a trawler or yacht or cruiser or sportsfisherman or downeaster or anything....just boats.

Tell that to the homeless man walking past the marina or the young couple just starting out in life spending a day on the waterfront. I doubt many of them have much trouble defining a yacht.

When some people ask me what type boat we own... especially newbies dock side... I reply that our boat comes under the category of a "Thcay". Whereupon there is usually a breath and then moment of silence as they contemplate what I mean. Topic usually quickly changes!

Then based on the hull I would be comfortable calling my 36 Gulfstar MarkII a full displacement pleasure cruiser. That'll work just fine for me.....
Bill

Hah! My boat's designer says it is a trawler yacht!

(Three sets of individuals walking by the Coot in the marina after it's four-hour outing today, said the boat is "beautiful." Most days, it is only one or two.)

img_242206_0_fad3b1b3e9c848ed110c24893c9a6bed.jpg

When asked what kind of boat it is, I say it is a "Coot" produced by Seahorse Marine and is a slow, 14-ton motorboat with a single 80-horsepower engine and two steadying sails.

Last edited:
I'd state the definition of a trawler this way:

A boat with a displacement or semi-displacement hull and diesel power, typically with traditional styling, and with a design and features that emphasize comfort, range, and economy over speed.

Badda-bing, badda-boom. Done and done. Send in the next case!

Last edited:

A boat with a displacement or semi-displacement hull and diesel power, typically with traditional styling, and with a design and features that emphasized comfort, range, and economy over speed.

Not Bad! Not Bad at All!

Hah! My boat's designer says it is a trawler yacht!

(Three sets of individuals walking by the Coot in the marina after it's four-hour outing today, said the boat is "beautiful." Most days, it is only one or two.)

img_242210_0_fad3b1b3e9c848ed110c24893c9a6bed.jpg

Well, they seem to not now....from their website...lol

"COOT" STEEL 35 FOOT COASTAL CRUISER
The "COOT" is a great pocket cruiser and may be the perfect boat if your plans include low cost safe "gunk-holing" along our coasts or exploring our great canals and rivers. It has a very strong steel hull, keel piece 12mm, bottom 5mm, 4mm hull and superstructure sides. Commercial windows, doors amd hatches. Probably the most seaworthy production yacht under 38 feet.

I see no mention of "trawler" on their site....

I see no mention of "trawler" on their site....

Correct. As previously mentioned, that adjective/noun is on the designer's site.

Correct. As previously mentioned, that adjective/noun is on the designer's site.

Aha.....designer and builder can't even agree and here we are.....Well, we think it's a beautiful coastal cruiser trawler yacht...

We call our GB 32.....Ebbtide and that works for us.

Sheesh, we're taking the boat out!

We call our GB 32.....Ebbtide and that works for us.

Sheesh, we're taking the boat out!

First the tide rushes in
Plants a kiss on the shore
Then rolls out to sea
And the sea is very still once more

So, I'll rush to your side
Like the oncoming tide
With one burning thought
Will your arms open wide

At last we're face to face
And as we kiss through an embrace
I can tell, I can feel you are love
You are really mine in the rain, in the dark, in the sun

Like the tide at its ebb
I'm at peace in the web of your arms

OMG - Trawler / Yacht could be shortened to spell the nickname "T W A T" OMG!!!

Is that why boats are consistently referred to in the female gender???

Just Wonderen!! LOL :dance:

OMG - Trawler / Yacht could be shortened to spell the nickname "T W A T" OMG!!!

Is that why boats are consistently referred to in the female gender???

Just Wonderen!! LOL :dance:

Now that's funny!

To quote The Queen, from Alice In Wonderland:
"It means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less"

(It may not not generally known, but I am reliably informed, The Queen had in mind a genus of pleasure boats called "trawlers".)

There's certainly enough mushrooms to go around it seems.

A boat with a displacement or semi-displacement hull and diesel power, typically with traditional styling, and with a design and features that emphasize comfort, range, and economy over speed.

Not bad…not bad at all…quite close in fact. However, in my view the thing that distinguishes a trawler 'style' cruiser, and I emphasise the word style, because that is as close as any of our boats get to trawler really, is the style. Even a converted trawler is no longer a true trawler if it does not have serious fishing gear on board.

This is what true trawlers look like…
Bugger, it's the bottom pic, sorry - just as a reference like…it was meant to appear here, dammit...

So…in my view the feature that characterises a trawler style cruiser is the overall impression of being sturdy and purposeful, instead of flashy. Certainly has no pretence at aerodynamics, and clearly says this boat places practicality over speed. Usually it will have a blunt stern, decent free board, and be full or semi-displacement, although some, like the Beneteau Swift Trawler series, come close to having true planing capability.

This is what trawler style looks like…just one example...
New 2014 INTEGRITY 340 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

This is not a trawler style boat
Used 2008 MUSTANG 3800 SPORTSCRUISER Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

I don't think the engine size or power or number really matters actually, so arguments re economy, efficiency and over or under loading are purely personal opinions in my view. THe engines don't define a trawler in my view, and that from someone who has your archetypal Lehman 120.

That's gonna provoke some comment…but…that's what a trawler style cruiser is for mine...

Attachments

• Fishing_trawlers_and_National_Marine_Aquarium,_Plymouth.jpg
    Fishing_trawlers_and_National_Marine_Aquarium,_Plymouth.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
One fellow asked the other "wanta coke ?" other fellow says "yeah" first fellow says "what kind ?" The name coke has become generic for softdrink. A Pepsi will never be a Coke and Pepsi drinkers dont call it that. If a friend is sent to get them a coke he may not know what they prefer. Boats are kinda like that, as land lubbers are not as intimately involved as some of us are. To them, and some here, if it looks like a trawler (or not in some cases) then it is. I still say if it goes over 10 knots (50 x 16 or less) it cannot be a trawler, I dont care what Beneteau calls it. "swift" trawler, thats like a "racing turtle" and folks that know turtles are just shaking there heads in dismay :).

Finally. The definitive trawler thread. All it took was two Buicks, a bit of poetry, and the mere mention of mushrooms. I get it now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom