What is a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fuel efficiency is part of what makes a trawler a trawler but only a small part.

Weight is probably the greatest identifying element of a trawler. They (trawlers) were called "Heavy Cruisers" before the word trawler evolved. With the extra weight slow speed was a given and the only way to better that is/was a SD or FD hull form and/or diesel power. For more stability and a small speed advantage the SD hull became much more popular and the Diesel engine standard. So a fairly heavy diesel powered cruiser evolved that needed a cuter name .... trawler came from somewhere and stuck.

Last edited:
Fuel efficiency is part of what makes a trawler a trawler but only a small part
trawlers are not more efficient because they are named trawlers though many seem to think so.

Fuel efficiency is part of what makes a trawler a trawler but only a small part.

Weight is probably the greatest identifying element of a trawler. They (trawlers) were called "Heavy Cruisers" before the word trawler evolved. With the extra weight slow speed was a given and the only way to better that is/was a SD or FD hull form and/or diesel power. For more stability and a very small speed advantage the SD hull became much more popular and the Diesel engine standard. So a fairly heavy diesel powered cruiser evolved that needed a cuter name .... trawler came from somewhere and stuck.

Good one Eric!

If I may add: Since inception of the word (designating term) "Trawler" in manner you mention the same word (designation) has been stretched to its limits! Similar to the word (term) "Yacht" being used so freely. And, in dirt based RE the term "Estate" experiencing similar outlandish "term-adjustments". I recently noted a RE ad for a double wide trailer in trailer park rented lot that mentioned the words "This Estate has..." Don of Moonstruck would cringe at reading that copy - LOL :facepalm:

Absolutely I mean hull design. Any boat less than 50 feet that will go faster than 10 knots is not a trawler (assuming normal beam width) A planing hull with tiny engines is still a planing hull. It will never be a "trawler" no matter how much I want it to be. No matter who says it is or how it is used. I have a 48 foot sporty that I am planning to put a pair of small engines in, mostly to improve the economy of using it and to make it more usable for us. It will never be a trawler. I am not trying to convince anyone that it will be a trawler when I'm done. Even tho it will meet what most here will call a trawler. It doesnt have the look but a lot of boats that people call trawlers dont. I dont succumb to the "lifestyle" argument of what is a trawler, it is tangible and definable. Back in 1975 if you had a 67 Buick and told anyone they would have said "why?'. It was out of style and seriously looked down upon. Gas guzzler was an oft used term. A Pinto now that was in style, Vegas, the then new Datsuns, thats what everyone thought was "cool". Times change and fads with it. Being a trawler may not be popular in 10 years, then what will we want to be ? By the way, I love old Buicks. I drove a 1969 Wildcat with the 430 engine in high school. Dad bought it CHEAP in 1979, nobody wanted a big ol "gas guzzler" back then.

When I bought my boat, some people asked, "why did you buy an old man's boat?"

That is a pretty apt description, even if it a generalization based on demographics.

kulas44,
I agree and that's basically what I think but often what we as individuals think just isn't so.

I have an old Buick too and to some extent I think it's cool ... but it's not cool at all. The only people that do think it kinda cool are old .. like Spy alluded to. Or perhaps the retro crowd of which there are quite a few but still few. But most of us trawlermen are old.

I'd like to know more about your boat and small engine plans.

Can't out Buick Art but here's my Buick. Newer than Art's and probably less than 300hp. Love driv'in it but parking spaces get real small.

Art re the "estate" thing I think somebody died.

Attachments

• STH71057 copy 2.jpg
    STH71057 copy 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 88
When I bought my boat, some people asked, "why did you buy an old man's boat?"

People asked me a similar question -- "Too old to cut the mustard with the sailboat life any more, huh?" (Answer: correct.)

Kulkas:
you realize that smaller engines wont make much difference in fuel use at a fixed speed of say 6 knots.

Kulkas:
you realize that smaller engines wont make much difference in fuel use at a fixed speed of say 6 knots.

Quick calcs (no real basis on all prices, just good guesses - lol):

Engine remove/replace total coat = $25K + (could reach $50K + too)

Fuel cost reduction for 200 hrs annual at 2 +/- gallons per hr less in $5 ger gal range = $2K per year fuel cost savings

Break Even = 12.5 years to 25 years

Simple Math is soooo easy - - > So is simply enjoying a boat! :thumb:

Happy Cruising Daze :speed boat:

I don't understand why the smaller engines will use 2 gph less??
Are you replacing gassers with diesel?

If you want to convey information about the nature of a boat it is best to define hull type and a few other parameters such as displacement LOA LWL beam and draft. The above deck configuration along with basic drive system. Trying to define to someone the nature of a boat called a trawler without telling them it has IPS drives and a planning hull is mean less out side of sales mumbo jumbo..

I don't understand why the smaller engines will use 2 gph less??
Are you replacing gassers with diesel?

No real reason - I was just playing with likely numbers and hoped the replacement engines used would be that much more efficient.

going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke diesels does make a difference but still probably not worth the cost.

Across all 4 stroke diesels you probably wont find a big difference in HP produced per pound of fuel. Look up BSFC ( brake specific fuel consumption). Turbo charged is a bit more efficient at turbo loads but still not a huge difference.
from brand to brand and model to model there is a large difference in max rated power but little difference in efficiency. Full electronic control may be a bit more efficient than old mechanical engines but I haven't looked at their BSFC.

Last edited:
All in all - Repowering a used boat seldom comes out in a positive financial sense regarding profit or even break even in the long run. Sooo... take care of your engines and enjoy boating

I would really like to go from a best of 1 mpg to maybe 2 mpg, that would be great. Right now I'm considering using 3-71s. I can use the Allison MH gears, which I like for several reasons, one being the "get home" feature. I will probably need 3 or 3.5 reductions. The gears now are 2 to 1 ratio. 3-71s rated at around 90 to 100 hp each should be about right. I'm planning to use 7E55 injectors, which are the latest mech. injectors for the DDs. They were designed for metro buses in Cali. No smoke. Make 30 to 40 hp per cylinder non turbo. At that rating a 71 series will run a very long time. Will probably set max rpm at 2100 high idle. Prop it for 1800 at 9 knots or so. Best economy should be at 8 knots. Cost is not a big deal, I'll do it all myself. Its fairly easy on this boat. I can buy the 3-71s plus the marine parts used, cheaply. Availabilty is not a problem. You just need to know what parts are needed. The economy increase comes from only having 6 cylinders instead of 16. Parasitic drag comes into play. And, twin turbo 8v92s are just not meant for economy.

Sounds like you really know your stuff. Those 8v92 are probably way out of their efficiency range at 8 knots, not that they were ever very efficient. The little 3s will be much nearer the mid range. Be even better if you could go to 4 strokes but staying in the Detroit family will surely be easier.
I guess that you will also loose over a 1000 pounds that will help too.

And the boat will be lighter. Always a plus re efficiency.

Smaller engines are more efficient.
If you load them at the their most efficient rpm.
Bigger engines make a better heat sink and being a heat engine the more surface area exposed to combustion temperatures the more heat is lost. And heat is power. But also lower combustion temperatures will be present in a bigger engine not working hard. So it's a balance of combustion temp and heat loss. Usually smaller engines will burn less fuel. Take a 36GB w twin 55hp JH Yanmars pushing the boat 7 knots. There will almost certainly be less vibration, noise and fuel consumption. And the boat will weigh 2000lbs less.

Last edited:
Trying to define to someone the nature of a boat called a trawler without telling them it has IPS drives and a planning hull is mean less out side of sales mumbo jumbo..

Describes the current versions of the quintessential trawler....Grand Banks.

The reality is no one here gets to say one way or the other...they may have their OWN idea...but the boating world has already made up their mind..

If you go out in the real world and say Grand Banks aren't trawlers...you'll be laughed out of just about every place I know or have been.

Grand Banks owners will occasionally tell you they are not trawlers...we have (or had) a member that was adamant that GB and their "club" never claimed to be or used the word trawler in their (I don't know and don't care one way or the other) literature.

99.9 percent of my boating friends and associates don't care either.

Grand Banks never made a trawler. Lehmans Cats Cummins, whatever, not a trawler. It is a planing hull, pure and simple.
I`m off for a chat with the IG with Lehmans: "Plane you bastard, plane".
NS, "gentleman`s cruiser" might be another term ( cuts me out though).

Grand Banks never made a trawler. Lehmans Cats Cummins, whatever, not a trawler. It is a planing hull, pure and simple.

My post was intended to suggest the irony of it all. As psneeld points out, the vast majority of the boating public seems to think it is a trawler...planning hull, IPS, and all. After all it sports the penis extender topsides and interior.

I went into the Bible, with Concordance at hand, and could not locate chapter or verse defining "Trawler". Therefore It Simply Ain’t!! :thumb: :eek:

But rather... it must be a figment of our imaginations. :lol: :rofl:

Now, there you have it!! :dance: :ermm:

Wifey B: You dudes are getting way too hung up over a silly word that has no agreed definition. It doesn't matter. Darn. Trawler, displacement, semi displacement, planing, semi planing, fast trawler, twin engines, single, delta anchor, danforth. Just talk specifically what you want or don't worry about it. This is like arguing over how many stars there are in the universe. We're not on a "trawler" right now, but it will do anything a trawler will. Now I would agree Baden is not a trawler. It's a ..... well, I can't use those words here, but definitely not a trawler. I would agree trawlers should float upright.

Well, Kadey Krogen never put a pair of 375 hp 3208s in a kk42. It would not have made any since. GB on the other hand could benefit from more power, if thats what you wanted. Because it is a planing hull. And, you could get 300 hp from the venerable Lehman with a little tweakin, and a turbo. The rest of the drive train would be hard pressed to stay together and longevity would be seriously diminished, "bout like a 3208 Cat at 425 hp. At the average of 100 hours per year it would still outlive the warranty. Dont get me wrong, I do love the GBs and would like to own one someday. I will not call it a trawler. I do like the debate tho !!!

What would you call a Gulfstar 36 MarkII? I'm curious because it seems like a trawler to me...
Bill

What would you call a Gulfstar 36 MarkII? I'm curious because it seems like a trawler to me...
Bill

Bill - Personally believing there is no true definition of a "Trawler"... that it is a pliable, whimsical term... I'd call it a "Pleasure Cruiser"... Same as I call mine! - Art

Back
Top Bottom