What is a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayview

Guru
I am new here but have been boating for decades both sail and power of many sizes on both coasts. Despite all that experience I am confused about what makes a trawler.

Reviewing posts here and literature I see fast and slow boats, displacement cruisers and planing hulls and despite all my experience I don't know how to define a trawler.

I know a lot of people desire them and own them so I come here to the experts looking for an answer to the fundamental question of "what is a trawler"

Last edited:
In the case of private boats, it's really a marketing term that fits a look or boating style...that in itself covers a lot of ground as there is no "rule" to govern the use. of the term...

Some will say the only a fishing boat can be a trawler and to that I would say the world and language evolves whether they like it or not.

Sea Dory ran an add calling their flat bottomed OB boat a "trailerable Trawler".

And brokers will call anything a trawler to increase the chances of a sale.

If you really want to hear our take on it there's lots in the archives.

I think the most important identifying feature of a trawler is what's below the WL. But I think most people feel if it looks like a trawler it is.

Thank's Mark,
The Wikipedia definition is really quite good.
I don't think they should have mentioned the Portuguese Bridge as not very many trawlers have them and by their def Willy's not a trawler ... too small.

Last edited:
Our opinion is, "It's a frame of mind. Relax and enjoy the ride".

Bob & Jill

Searching

I did a lot of searching for things like trawler definition without success .
Zillions of references to various boats as trawlers but there are few similarities . Lots of discussion of fuel economy however that is more a function of HP used not HP installed. Trunk cabins sailboaty interiors seem a common theme.

Our opinion is, "It's a frame of mind. Relax and enjoy the ride".
Bob & Jill

I think it is a state of mind as well. To me, I think of what it means to "Go Trawlering" or to use "Trawler" as a verb. Somehow it involves moving from place to place on the water in a power boat, enjoying the water and the various places you visit. It's an appreciation for that you see. An enjoyment of the good times both on the water and at various stops one makes. It's boating because you enjoy boating. It's a leisurely undertaking. You could do it in a speed boat or a jon boat.

Most of the boats then that we'd classify as trawlers are boats designed for an enjoyable cruise. Not necessarily the biggest or fastest or most expensive.

I think the Wikipedia explanation is good too.

I don't consider a "fast trawler" a contradiction. Semi-displacement vs. full displacement (and let's not argue about those terms) to me makes no real difference. The speed or size isn't important.

Now we do not own a trawler at this point by most any definition. But we boat like Trawler owners. We move faster than some and right now have more passengers, but we enjoy the water and we love to explore each new town we visit. We will be getting what I'd call a "Loop Boat" as it will be one that can do the loop. Still won't be something most would consider a trawler but can very much be used as one.

A fast trawler is a contradiction.

:iagree:

The term has certainly been bastardised over the years. To complicate matters, what about "trollers"? I consider my boat a "troller" because of its salmon trolling roots. The again, the drawings of my boat call it a "diesel cruiser".

NOT a trawler:

img_241840_0_80d05e9c0dfed3d9c0181835088affa1.jpg

a little history

Designed first by Seattle designers Edwin Monk and William Garden, a type of boat began to evolve which was lighter and more economical than a true fisherman, yet offered adequate seaworthiness. "Northwest Cruisers" they were commonly called at first, though this term has about died out today.

As more and more of these boats were built, their reputation gradually became widespread and led to the sudden proliferation of vessels that today are called "trawlers".

[...]

Now, naval architects judge hulls mostly by using "coefficients" or "ratios." [...]

And we might add one I just invented. It is called the "trawler/truth ratio" (T/T). [...] There are yachts that would score quite high, as they were patterned after true trawlers. But today we see advertised as "trawlers," designs that would score, if one were charitable, one or two per cent.

-- Robert P. Beebe, Voyaging Under Power, 1975.​

The builder describes my Coot as a "coastal cruiser." The designer calls it a "trawler yacht."

NOT a trawler:

img_241847_0_80d05e9c0dfed3d9c0181835088affa1.jpg

But could be used like one. What if they did everything exactly as you do it, except they just went faster between stops? So the 50 mile day they do in just over an hour and have more time at the destination. Now most owners of boats like that won't, but just saying if they had the attitude.

We own a Riva (not what we're on at this time) but we've used it to do the exact things trawler users do. Just cruise at 30-35 knots instead of 6-10. But we've used it to just go up the coast and to go to the Bahamas and island hop.

Last edited:
Let's settle this argument once and for all.

Attachments

• speed boat.jpg
    speed boat.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Trawler version.jpg
    Trawler version.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 224
exactly....scary what some people think about....

Trawlers? We ain't got no trawlers. We don't need no trawlers ! I don't have to show you any stinkin' trawlers.

img_241890_0_6156bcfac049e0486e9178831ae90bf4.jpg

Last edited:
Forget the term trawler when looking for and evaluating a boat as all posts above point out Its no longer a meaningful descriptive term. You would be best to define a boat by the type of hull and how it is to be used. Most of the old timers remember when the term denoted a full displacement hull good fuel economy long range with substantial living accommodations and fish boat heritage.

Designating terms "Yacht" and "Trawler" are the two most adaptive (often misleading) word meanings in the marine world.

If the boat is used for private affairs - - > It is a "Pleasure Cruiser" :thumb:

If the boat is used for business affairs - - -> It is a "Working Craft" :D

If the boat is not used for any affair - - > It is a "Wasted Boat" :facepalm:

:dance:

Designating terms "Yacht" and "Trawler" are the two most adaptive (often misleading) word meanings in the marine world.

They are all just boats. You decide what you want your boat to do and then you find the one that matches best. You don't get bogged down in labels. Don't fall victim to preconceptions or misconceptions.

Wifey B: Or conception.....hehe.

Buyers seem to think they know what a trawler is

The comments here are very much on point IMO. It seems difficult to define what a trawler is today yet friends and acquaintances looking for a next boat are heavily oriented toward trawlers.
It seems that buyers are certain they know what trawlers are but owners don't. This trawler bias is especially strong among sailors considering moving to power. They want low fuel consumption and believe that only comes with boats named trawler by the makers.
If the makers marketing department called the boat a trawler then is seems to be a trawler regardless of hull design, power, or interior design.

The things that seem to define a trawler in the minds of buyers are primarily low power and a sailboat look. Few people seem to understand that with a given displacement and hull shape fuel use is determined by the amount of power used. If it takes 100 HP to move a boat at 8 knots the fuel use will be similar with 150 HP engines or 400 HP engines at that speed. Try telling that to a sail boater.

Reactions: Art
That's basically what is hard in the boating community now compared to 50 years ago...less people really understand boats.

I have a friend with a 42 foot sailboat that is ready to retire and he thinks it's time to go cruising.

He is the classic armchair boater. 90% of his knowledge is from mags and boatshows.

He's been boating and sailing for 40+ years yet was a "total" newbie when another friend and I helped him move his boat to Charleston a few years ago. Since then he's never anchored the boat in the last 5 years...even though he just replaced the anchors and chain (both were perfect) because he "thought" they needed to after reading something... Then the gadget and boat show type he is...shows up with a kellet and other trinkets every year after the big shows...still has never anchored the boat.

While I love him like a brother...I wouldn't want anyone near and dear to me to go off sailing with him....too much armchair...too little sea time (even with his USCG license and sailing endorsement).

He's talking trawler now...he worries about money in retirement and then out of the other side of his mouth he mentions a new Ranger Tug...I laugh so hard I can't stand it.

He's just like so many...hopefully he will find his way and live a long, happy retirement fulfilling his cruising dreams one way or another...I seriously doubt it will ACTUALLY match his current dreams...like so many.

My definition of "trawler" is, full displacement, small diesel (usually single, not always), and slow by design not choice. The kk42 is the prime example. No one need argue as to is it or is it not a trawler. The argument I see most often is from folks that dont really have a trawler but want to be with the "in" crowd. A liveaboard dock master once told me he lived on a trawler. It was a planing hull cruiser of older vintage with 375 hp 3208s. He did so want it to be a trawler, therefor it was. Or so he told folks. Or maybe he just didnt know, possibly his broker had told him it was a trawler.

kulas:

Slow by design not use, I like that if you mean hull design not power installed.
While I agree with you that the KK42 fits my idea of a trawler most people think the GB 42 is also a trawler. While the GB is a beautiful boat and many have been sold as trawlers it is very far from the KK IMO, as are very many of the boats discussed here.

Last edited:
My 360 hp / 500 fpt 1967 "Classic Luxury Muscle Car" (automobile) Buick Wildcat is not a Trawler either. However... I do occasionally go trolling for "Trawlers" (boats) in her.

In reference to quote from “bayview” post # 24:
“Few people seem to understand that with a given displacement and hull shape fuel use is determined by the amount of power used. If it takes 100 HP to move a boat at 8 knots the fuel use will be similar with 150 HP engines or 400 HP engines at that speed.” [End Quote]

That quote is spot-on! Same reality has been mentioned on other TF posts in recent years during nmpg debates. Soooo, I’d just like to add: Because a boat hull design is displacement and it can only travel at a relatively slow speed to continue reasonable nmpg fuel use (before digging a hole that consumes umpteen gpnm) that slow speed can also be utilized for really good nmpg fuel usage on most planing hull boats. Therefore, IMHO, if anyone would like to utilize the term “Trawler” for a boat – both hull designs can suffice!

Some of the clear reactionary differences between displacement “Trawlers” and planing “Trawlers” (i.e. Boats):

One draws a lot of water and rolls heavily/smoothly as it returns to perpendicular in beam seas with economical fuel use yet a limited continuous slow speed of travel.

One draws less water and does not roll heavily but its return is an abrupt-chop to perpendicular in beam seas with economical use at slow speeds yet capability to power up to fast plane which can smooth the ride, shorten trip’s duration, and use considerably more fuel!

Our fully self contained, twin screw gas engine 34’ Tolly tri cabin planing hull can putter along at 5.5 knots employing a single screw and get near 3 nmpg / puttering at 7 + knots using twins she gets 2 + nmpg / on plane at 16/17 knots she gets 1 nmpg / at 21 + knots near WOT she gets OMG nmpg!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nomenclature is in the mind of the speaker. Reality is in front of everybody... just gotta focus and play with the availabilities!

Happy Trawler (err Boating) Daze! - Art

Attachments

• Art's 1967 Wildcat - All Orig - 122K Mi.jpg
    Art's 1967 Wildcat - All Orig - 122K Mi.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom