42 Krogen on eBay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
Had a neighbor stop by this afternoon asking about this one. Does anyone have any information to add?

42 Krogen Trawler 1979 | eBay

From the listing, what do members think it will take to finish? I know there are a lot of unknowns and it's a wide open question.

Last edited:
Interesting project for someone handy with time on their hands. This might be a yay for a DIY'er to get into a boat they might not otherwise be able to afford.

Hard to tell what it would take since we dont really know what needs to be done. If you hired a shipyard you can eat a thousand man hours quicker than you think, and at probably a hundred an hour it could get expensive quickly.

Then what is a "very good" KK42 actually selling for today, $150, 200, 225? I dont know but that is where you'd have to start and work backwards. I'm guessing from Yachtworld that for $200K you could get into a very nice KK42.

Having been through a very expensive refit of a boat that was complete, working and in I'd say "good" condition, I can say money can add up quickly. Quicker than you might imagine. Unless you bought the boat cheap having a shipyard finish the boat is probably fairly expensive.

Last edited:
146 hrs seems low for a 1979, (edit: I see that's for the genset) but then again who knows. Looks like a project for sure.

It was floating when the pics were taken. Which is better than a brand spanking new 90 footer of recent fame.

I don't do eBay, so not sure how all that works. Was the putative buyer able to look at the boat beforehand? Do a survey? Is the sale final now? Inquiring minds wonder about these things.

Someone got wither a pretty darn good deal or a FANTASTIC deal.

So, if you're looking at what a really good condition KK42 is worth, I'm gusessing there's after the purchase price between $125 and say $175K left over for a refit. :)

I don't do eBay, so not sure how all that works. Was the putative buyer able to look at the boat beforehand? Do a survey? Is the sale final now? Inquiring minds wonder about these things.
Depends on the seller, it could be those things were allowed, or not. I think the idea of Ebay is the seller is supposed to provide info "warts & all" on pain of getting a bad seller rating if he misleads. Buying solar panels is one thing, buying a boat is entirely different,not sure I`d do it.

Someone got wither a pretty darn good deal or a FANTASTIC deal.

So, if you're looking at what a really good condition KK42 is worth, I'm gusessing there's after the purchase price between $125 and say $175K left over for a refit. :)

I think you're right, especially if the buyer can do most of the work.

Here's another, older, KK42 with a recent rebuild on the engine (55 hours) for ~$148K. FYI: Both of these KK42's were built before the wheelhouse, boat deck and cabin had the moulded FRP design.

1983 Kadey Krogen Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Some of the older ones (I am told) were laid up on a male mold. They all have there share of major problems. Mostly to do with tanks and leaks. Balsa coring can be a HUGE problem in these boats. Plywood decks are another problem. Not saying they all have these problems, but Ive not seen any in this age bracket that didnt have some of them. The biggest problem is that sometimes these problems are just "masked" by POs. Epoxy injection into rotted balsa, epoxy coated tanks, painting discolored interior to hide water stains, etc. instead of proper repairs. I hope the buyer got a good deal, but, he probably got his moneys worth. I have bought a couple of big boats on ebay and it has worked out well. Both were in need of extensive repairs/refits but were within my ability to do. I knew exactly what I was bidding on and how much I would bid. These ebay boats are usually bought by dreamers that dont have the $$ to buy a similar boat in useable shape. That is a sure recipe for failure. If they cant afford a big boat they surely cant afford to refit a big boat. I had one experience buying a boat in Hawaaii, a 46 foot steel motorsailor, that was listed by BoatAngle on ebay. Seller represented the hull to be in "good" condition. After looking at the hull and getting a surveyor to verify what I was looking at, it was determined that the hull was in "poor" condition and my deposit was refunded promptly. And my wife and I had a very good time on the islands. There are a few things that can be used to undo a boat deal, especially a boat over a certain length. Misrepresentation is one.

These ebay boats are usually bought by dreamers that dont have the $$ to buy a similar boat in useable shape. That is a sure recipe for failure. If they cant afford a big boat they surely cant afford to refit a big boat.

I think that happens with all boats.

You see the cheapest boat on yachtworld get sold.

I think people have no clue about the time and the financial commitments it takes to do a refit on a large boat.

I know this to be true

I think that happens with all boats.

You see the cheapest boat on yachtworld get sold.

I think people have no clue about the time and the financial commitments it takes to do a refit on a large boat.

I'm working with three owners right now that are finding this out the hard way. Kevin you started out with a boat that was a modern production boat. There is a lot of support available from other owners and you knew what changes and upgrades you wanted to do going in. You also had the money to do the work fairly rapidly. I think you had a fair idea of what you were willing to spend. You may have been a little surprised in the cost. Most bargain boat hunters don't have a clue. I would be willing to bet almost all of these cheap boat projects, if finished end up costing 2-3 times what the finished boat is worth. Many if not most just die and end up cut up and scrapped. The Cal delta is just full of old dying boats. Someone said the other day this is where old boats go to die. Since I've retired to work as a shipwright I've been educated, I look at boats through a different set of eyes today than I did five years ago. The best boat is a well maintained boat that the owner spent the money over the years to keep as close to perfect as possible. Pay a fair price, use the boat, take care of the boat, sell it when your done for the best price you can get. That's a bargain boat, if there such a thing.

I'm working with three owners right now that are finding this out the hard way. Kevin you started out with a boat that was a modern production boat. There is a lot of support available from other owners and you knew what changes and upgrades you wanted to do going in. You also had the money to do the work fairly rapidly. I think you had a fair idea of what you were willing to spend. You may have been a little surprised in the cost. Most bargain boat hunters don't have a clue. I would be willing to bet almost all of these cheap boat projects, if finished end up costing 2-3 times what the finished boat is worth. Many if not most just die and end up cut up and scrapped. The Cal delta is just full of old dying boats. Someone said the other day this is where old boats go to die. Since I've retired to work as a shipwright I've been educated, I look at boats through a different set of eyes today than I did five years ago. The best boat is a well maintained boat that the owner spent the money over the years to keep as close to perfect as possible. Pay a fair price, use the boat, take care of the boat, sell it when your done for the best price you can get. That's a bargain boat, if there such a thing.

Steve I completely agree. Its sad to see people, and we've both seen them think they were getting a bargain only to learn the reality the hard way.

I not only knew what I was doing, I was financially prepared and had a great support network, along with a shipyard I could trust.

That said I was suprised as it all came together. When I tell people to be careful because you can make a hundred grand disappear before you know it, it's because I know it can and will happen in a refit. My refit was budgeted at about 75k and before I was through I doubled that amount.

But it's done now and as I write this we're going accross the Gulf of Alaska in honest bouy measured 6 footers. I'm burning some fuel doing it to keep the ass end squatted into the water but the ride is nice. I'm on the satellite internet and the admrial is watching a movie in the salon.

The new engines are purring along, and you can't hardly hear the new generator. Having a refit boat is great, you just have to be prepared to get through the process and not freak out over the inevitable expensive suprises.

Last edited:
That said I was suprised as it all came together. But it's done now and as I write this we're going accross the Gulf of Alaska in honest bouy measured 6 footers. I'm burning some fuel doing it to keep the ass end squatted into the water but the ride is nice..

Kevin, the voice of experience in your post. Inexperienced captains should take a lesson from this. Run your boat in all kinds of conditions changing trim to find what works best. I also learned to trim the stern down in those conditions. It gives more directional stability, and less chance of "stuffing" the bow. A little extra power is not a bad thing to have.

Kevin, the voice of experience in your post. Inexperienced captains should take a lesson from this. Run your boat in all kinds of conditions changing trim to find what works best. I also learned to trim the stern down in those conditions. It gives more directional stability, and less chance of "stuffing" the bow. A little extra power is not a bad thing to have.

Yes, power is your friend.

Actually TF member SCARY taught me that trick several years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom