Nickel Grommets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wannabe

Vessel Name
Hakuna Matata
Vessel Make
DeFever Pilothouse 49
Well, Wannabe is a wannabe no more.* We are beginning work on our new to us DeFever 49 Pilothouse.* The Admiral is working on replacing the weather cloths along the boat deck.* She is sourcing parts, and has found some nickel grommets.* Is nickel an appropriate material for this use?* The grommets will not come in contact with any other metal, so I think my only concern is how they will last in comparison with stainless steel.* Will this work?

Thanks for all of the wisdom shared in this fourum.* It has been an excellent source of information.

Wannabe

Nickel probably really means "nickel plated" and would look pretty for awhile, but fall apart after the nickel electroplating wears/corrodes off. I'd stick with SS, or brass/bronze.

Wannabe

Do it right the first time and go for the stainless steel
The only downside to this is they are a bit harder to set
Spend the coulple of cents extra and use a spur grommet

Allan

Wannabe,Your'e going to like this:
The Rolls Royce Silver Cloud had nickel plated hub caps. Actually as I recall nickel plating is a preparatory process of chrome plating. When I asked about the Rolls hub caps I was told it dosn't shine as much as chrome but lasts much longer.

Eric Henning

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 11:35:22 PM

Sailrite has SS grommets and the tooling you need at a decent price. I wouldn't use nickel-plated for marine environment.

Back
Top Bottom