Mantus anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
Anyone have any experience with Mantus anchors?

From all accounts they perform well, although their web videos don't look particularly convincing. They recently went from mild steel shanks that I doubt anyone would want to a better quality of steel, although it is unclear if they are shipping only strengthened shanks now or whether you have to ask for it. The hoop is huge so make sure it fits before investing, but from what I have read, if you get the upgraded shank and you want a hoop style anchor you'll probably be quite happy.

Mantus is the only anchor I have used so I have nothing else to compare to. That being said, it has performed flawlessly. Been using it a little over a year, maybe 20 nights on the hook and several "lunch" stops, from Virginia to Texas and it has been rock solid. I could not be more satisfied.

Also I think it's a good value. Mine's a 35lb and w/ shipping it was under $300
at Marine.com

Rafe

Haha couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a dig .. Boom tish! Get it, dig! Anchor! SARCA! Ahhh I crack myself up

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

The last anchor I bought is a 33lb Lewmar Claw and intend to use it as our primary anchor. If by next spring I find it necessary to save the day (or night) w another anchor it will be the XYZ. I should be unfortunate enough to anchor in at least a 40 knot wind by that time. If several times without incidence I'll have some real confidence.

Meanwhile I'll be watching the anchor tests hoping to see new untested anchors tested and others like the XYZ. Also I'd very much like to see a real objective test including some old anchors. I very much suspect the magazine tests are geared to sell the advertisers products.

AND ..... I plan to modify 2 of my anchors and report on that. One mod I thought of I already concluded won't work.

As to the Manta it seems like it should be as good as the other roll bar types. But everything including reversing directions and short scope performance have not been tested.

Can't complain

Just got back from 7 month trip , I have the 105 lb model on 40 ton trawler which is 54' overall , went from central fla. To key west, to exumas, Bahamas, back to central fla. Anchored almost the entire time in areas marked not so good holding to poor holding in winds 10 to 60 mph mostly 15 to 25 mph and the only problem I had were weeds or high grass.

Matt, life is sooooo simple for you Ausies.:D Stay tuned!

Yeah, Hendo's being a wee but provocative there. Those poor Northern Hemi folks can't seem to lay their hands on Sarcas yet Matt, so don't twist the knife too vigorously mate.

However, you might have flushed old Moonstruck out a bit there. Sounds like he has let slip he is working on that very issue, even as we speak/type…
That so Moonstruck Don..?

Yeah, Hendo's being a wee but provocative there. Those poor Northern Hemi folks can't seem to lay their hands on Sarcas yet Matt, so don't twist the knife too vigorously mate.

However, you might have flushed old Moonstruck out a bit there. Sounds like he has let slip he is working on that very issue, even as we speak/type…
That so Moonstruck Don..?

Pete, whatever could you be talking about?:confused::confused::confused:

Back
Top Bottom