Gas Kohler Genset Stopped Working, Looking for Mechanic in Bellingham,WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
A few weekends ago my genset with only 140 hours decided to stop working. It was running great, supplying power and recharging batteries. Then without any notice it died. :banghead: So with my limited mechanical abilities I headed down into the ER. I thought it might be a clogged fuel line, previously I had some bad fuel go through. So I drained the fuel water separator just to double check. Nope, nice clean fuel. Well, maybe the fuel pump screen has some debris on it. Took the fuel pump apart, no such luck - clean as a whistle. Four hours later, decided to call it a day. Later in the week decided to change out the plugs just to make sure. Nice clean plugs installed. Still nothing. It turns over and acts weak in the spark. Either way I am looking for someone that has experience in the Bellingham area. Anyone know of a solid mechanic? Thanks much!

Did I forget to mention, I checked the date stamp on the genset - 1994.

Back to basics- think F.A.S.T.

Fuel, air, spark, timing.

Seems like you've eliminated the fuel side as a problem.

Is the air filter clogged?

Spark & timing- weak spark means a low battery, corroded coil connections/bad coil, bad cap/wires/rotor, or incorrect dwell/point gap setting.

Have you checked these?

Check the actual spark. Should jump more than 3/8". Also, some of these need both plugs connected to fire either. Secondary winding not grounded, just one end to one plug, one to the other. If you test one wire with the other disconnected, you won't get any spark. Not sure if yours is this type, as I don't know which one you have.

Yo bro - first I noticed this thread...

We have 1977 7.5 Kohler.

You sure your plugs are getting fuel? Had to put new fuel pump on ours. Diafram ruptured one day and off she went. Simple fix, but, Be careful!!! - IT IS GASOLINE!!!

There are auto shut-down/start-up switches on sets equipped for load activation (ours is)... check it out with your repair manual if you have one.

If your set is load sensitive to start - be sure you have ample breaker(s) "ON" so the load switch activates.

I have manuals for older Kohler and would be pleased to email you copy. Maybe I have already??? Don't really recall! PM me your email addy if you’d like copies.

Best Luck! – Art :thumb:

PS: Odd item that we have always experienced with ours (but never found cause and it bothers us not – learned to live with it for several years now, probably has to do with load activation switch??) When we have run gen for whatever length of time required all is fine during that sequence. BUT – when we shut off the gen there is absolutely no way to get her to fire up again for approx an hour. Then – bingo – she will suddenly start instantly again and run smoothly till we decide to shut her down. Soooo... reason I mention this is because at first with the delayed time to restart it drove me nuts going into bilge in attempt to rectify... I thought there was a real problem! Soon I realized – just get all needs accomplished before shutting her down so the old baby can rest a while before again being tasked! We usually average 45 min to 1 hr run time in AM and same in PM for accomplishing all boat needs while on the hook.

Art, I am wondering if your generator has a defective temperature sensor perhaps it thinks it's too hot to start again? I assume when it's running the temperatures are normal? I have a much newer 7.3ECD circa 2008 on my Mainship it likes to run at 190 degrees. I have always felt this was too hot but it's not it's how they meet the emission standards.
Mine is a 3600 rpm unit and has a Vetus waterlift muffler on her.
These units are known for eating spark plugs, in addition when I 1st purchased the unit it would shut down for no apparent reason it ended up the factory repair tech had to replace both fuel pumps on the fuel injected unit. This solved our problem.
Bill

Art, I am wondering if your generator has a defective temperature sensor perhaps it thinks it's too hot to start again? I assume when it's running the temperatures are normal? I have a much newer 7.3ECD circa 2008 on my Mainship it likes to run at 190 degrees. I have always felt this was too hot but it's not it's how they meet the emission standards.
Mine is a 3600 rpm unit and has a Vetus waterlift muffler on her.
These units are known for eating spark plugs, in addition when I 1st purchased the unit it would shut down for no apparent reason it ended up the factory repair tech had to replace both fuel pumps on the fuel injected unit. This solved our problem.
Bill

Yeah, Bill – In addition to load activator switch I thought of heat sensor switch too, also of possible flooding when warm and trying to restart... set runs quite cool at all times and flooding seems to be not at all. I figure if it were the heat sensor it would shut down while running - not stay shut down with no restart for approx an hour during cooling process?? One way or other the item of it wanting to not start for an hour after running has become no bother to me (for 6 years!)... just makes me really definite that all needs are completed before shut down! :popcorn:

As compared to your 2008 gen set; our 1977 7.5 Kohler is antique regarding its operations. Runs like a champ though! :thumb:

Gas engines - 90% electrical, IMHO. Battery connections, loses wires, condenser if it has one.

140 hours since '94? Total servicing, plugs, points if it has any, float bowl, oil change, air filter, fuel filter you said you did, zincs, belts, all consumables.

Checks

Did two oil changes just to make sure it has good fluid, checked the coolant, changed plugs, took the fuel pump apart to check the screen to make sure there was no blockage. However I was assuming since there was no blockage that it was working. I haven't touched the carb yet. Thinking it's the next possible point of failure here. What a pain as it was running like a champ just prior to this.:banghead::ermm:

Following a troubleshooting sequence is a lot less painful.

Did you check for spark when you had the plugs out?

If you had spark did you squirt a little bit of gas in the cylinder, put the plug back and try to start it?

Find out what system doesn't work then go from there. Changing oil is not troubleshooting.

Thank you, changing oil is routine maintenance. Actually, identifying that there is oil and sufficient amount is part of the troubleshooting equation. The gen set has a low oil shutdown protection as well as high temp. So knowing that there is oil and coolant would be part of the process of elimination.

Oil pressure shutdown is bypassed when starting. Check for spark.

Will do and report back of course.

None of the above - would be the answer. I finally gave up and called in some re-enforcements. Within a hour, problem found. A seized water pump, who would have known? the shop said they haven't seen it before. Waiting on the new pump, should be here in the next few weeks. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Great to hear you are getting a handle on this. Fingers crossed for ya!

Back
Top Bottom