How long does it take to build a duck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel Ducker

Hello,

I'm very interested in the Ducks so I would like to know how long time it takes to build a Duck, from order to delivery? I can't find info about it on Seahorse's or Asboat's webpages.

thx.

I'm very interested in the Ducks so I would like to know how long time it takes to build a Duck, from order to delivery? I can't find info about it on Seahorse's or Asboat's webpages.

After the keel laying conference, about 25 days.

Attachments

• Mallards-Mating-01.jpg
    Mallards-Mating-01.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,324
How long to build a Diesel Duck?

It depends. :rofl:

I have heard that most Ducks are built in 2-3 years depending on design changes and money flow from the owner/buyer. There is a Diesel Duck site, Forums where Bill Kimley, the owner of Seahorse Marine hangs out. He is online at the moment. :)

If you get a chance to go to a Trawler Fest that has a Diesel Duck to show as well as Bill attending, I HIGHLY recommend doing so. We went to the Anacortes Trawler Fest last May and met Bill, Duck owners, and Duck Owner Wanna Bes. BEST vacation we have had and people we met were amazing. Bill is a hoot and a great guy to talk too. He knows boats and the business. We we were lucky to talk to Bill frequently over four days, including many day's sitting on a 462 Duck.

We had dinner 3-4 nights with Bill as well as with other Duck owners and wanna be owners. We were able to talk to George Buehler off and on over a couple of days as well. If you can get to the Trawler Fest in WA that has Bill at the show as well as a Duck or two, I highly, Highly, HIGHLY suggest you do so if you are interested in Ducks.

We looked at a few of the boats at the show but the only one we are really interested in is the 462 and maybe a new model that is being discussed.

Later,
Dan

Send Bill an email. He's responsive. ... It took about nine months from order to California delivery for a Seahorse Coot. He had the hull and exterior superstructure of the boat already built.

Starting the Coot's completion:

ry%3D400

Hello,

thx.

Which Duck model interests you?

Later,
Dan

Evening,

The 462.

I'm a sales person myself, I know what it takes to sell ....:banghead:

That's why I prefer information from people (like Mark) that has dealt with the yards before.

I am halfway through Ducktalk for the second time, searching for comments about the process and the time to build one. I didn't find much, except happy owners and excited dreamers.

Are there any owners out there that can reply? Or drop me a PM if privacy is an issue?

There are some used ducks on the market maybe two out here in PNW. After doing a custom build that dragged out over 2 years and sucked more $ than expected, I say go for the used boat no mater what the build..

Evening,

The 462.

I'm a sales person myself, I know what it takes to sell ....:banghead:

That's why I prefer information from people (like Mark) that has dealt with the yards before.

I am halfway through Ducktalk for the second time, searching for comments about the process and the time to build one. I didn't find much, except happy owners and excited dreamers.

Are there any owners out there that can reply? Or drop me a PM if privacy is an issue?

Have you read the following blogs?
Fuel System | MV Shearwater
or
On The Hard | D & D Nagle aboard MV DavidEllis

Both blogs are about the 462 and have quite a bit a details about the boats, how they work in seas, fuel usage, etc. I found these blogs very helpful.

The Metal Boat Society(MBS), which I think is a great resource if one is going to own a metal boat, has some back issues discussing DD 44, DD 41, and DD462s. MBQ Back Issues

There is a PDF, which I can't find at the moment, that I am pretty sure was from MBS about getting boat built by Seahorse. The PDF was a presentation to the MBS about building a DD, I think a 462, by Seahorse a few years ago.

If you read about the ICE's engine/fuel troubles in Tarawa which is mentioned in the latest edition of Voyaging under Power and other places, the problems appeared to have been caused by fuel filters that were filtering at a too fine of a level. My understanding is that the ICE's fuel/engine problems were due to using 2 micron Racor filters to clean the fuel supplied to the engine filters. The Raycor's should have been 30 microns.

I can't find an unhappy Seahorse owner. There has to be at least one somewhere though. :D My two cents from talking, listening, and reading is that there are minor issues but nothing major and the owners are happy with the boats.

Later,
Dan

FYI,

Seahorse and Buehler are finalizing a new DD design. The new design, DD 492, adds about three feet to the 462. The extra length has been added to the aft state room, engine room, the forward stateroom, and I think a bit in the saloon. The design is still being tweeked. The big addition is enlarging the forward stateroom so there is a queen sized bed and a space that is almost as large as the aft stateroom.

The final length, beam, weight, draft, etc., is still being determined.

Later,
Dan

Hello,

thx.

I flew out to Izmir and visited Asboat a few month's past. I think you'd have to monitor the construction carefully if you wanted high quality, at least during the stages from keel laying to insulating. So I'd suggest you plan on renting an apartment nearby for 4 or 5 months. If you think it's like a factory fiberglass boat and you just place an order and wait a year for it to arrive then you will be disappointed in the what you receive. Best would be to live there during the entire build of course, if you have that luxury. Izmir is a nice city and you would enjoy traveling around Turkey and the Levant for a year.

If you get a chance to go to a Trawler Fest that has a Diesel Duck to show as well as Bill attending, I HIGHLY recommend doing so. We went to the Anacortes Trawler Fest last May and met Bill, Duck owners, and Duck Owner Wanna Bes. BEST vacation we have had and people we met were amazing. Bill is a hoot and a great guy to talk too. He knows boats and the business. We we were lucky to talk to Bill frequently over four days, including many day's sitting on a 462 Duck.

I might be able to spend a few hours at the Anacortes Fest if my travel plans work out .......:thumb: Looking forward to the sneak peek and talking to the Duck owners and Bill.

I might be able to spend a few hours at the Anacortes Fest if my travel plans work out .......:thumb: Looking forward to the sneak peek and talking to the Duck owners and Bill.

We cant go this year. :cry::cry::cry: I am hoping that I might be able to fly out at the last minute but I doubt that will happen. The wifey can't go in any case.

Later,
Dan

I can't find an unhappy Seahorse owner. There has to be at least one somewhere though.

Does this SeaHorse Marine also build a fiberglass boat?
I've seen some SeaHorse 52's and maybe others.
If the same company-do you include the fiberglass boats in that statement?

Ken

Does this SeaHorse Marine also build a fiberglass boat?
I've seen some SeaHorse 52's and maybe others.
If the same company-do you include the fiberglass boats in that statement?

Ken

Seahorse builds the fiberglass 52s.

I am not interested in the fiberglass boats but I have not read or heard any owners unhappy with their Seahorse boats, fiberglass or steel, from reading Ducktalk, the Yahoo group, various blogs and owners.

Later,
Dan

Saw this boat at our guest dock the other day. Is it a Diesel Duck?

Attachments

• Weaver Mounts on Boat 001.jpg
    Weaver Mounts on Boat 001.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 510
Dannc, you mentioned a Yahoo group, I never found a link or reference to that - is there a link available.....:blush:

Not sure how I found the group but it took some work. :blush:

There is not much traffic in the group but I found it interesting.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/seahorse52/info

Seems like I had to get a Yahoo ID to join the group as well. You had to ask to allowed into the group.

Later,
Dan

FYI,

If you can get to the Trawler Fest in Anacortes this week, Seahorse has a booth to visit.

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom