View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My comfort range in rounding all the shoaling inlets of the east coast is to run from sea buoy to sea buoy or follow the 30 foot depth contour around the inlet.

Usually I use 15 feet when running assistance towing vessels but that's a different game as I'm trying to locate the deepest points as I have to enter and exit even the unmarked inlets.

Even though the charts don't show it...Townsends Inlet, NJ is easy and safe to run (in all but Nor'easters). A straight shot in following the southern jetty...keeping the reds to starboard. If you are less than 20 feet the bridge is easily cleared without opening...usually up to 23 you can make it under too....when in doubt it opens on demand and takes a call or two on the radio as the tender is also a toll taker.

3 feet and seven seconds is not dangerous and barely uncomfortable as it is almost a swell. Is it comfortable???? That only you can answer as it's personal more than technical. I can only guess buy you boat would roll pretty well if on the beam or broad quarter...and might pitch a bit if almost on the bow and you are pushing (but a 6 I don't think it would be too bad.

Half days??? Again the inlets will decide and at 40-50 miles a day from Norfolk to NY harbor...that's easily over 250 miles....way more than 2-3 days unless running all night in a few cases.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote