CORD for Raymarine 215 VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BellaDonna

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
BELLADONNA
Vessel Make
34' MAINSHIP HARDTOP TRAWLER
The Ray 215 radio cord is cracked in several places and needs replacement.
I am unable to get a replacement from Raymarine it is no longer available.

Looking on line I can not find one, does anyone have a suggestion or other info?

I really hate to purchase an entire new radio.

Ray marine VHF cord

Yes the cord needs to be replaced it has multiple cracks. Any idea where I can find a replacement?

Ray marine VHF cord

Yes the mike cord needs to be replaced it has multiple cracks. Any idea where I can find a replacement?

I checked all my usual sources, and you have some options:

Cheapest would be to cobble up a new cord from a different radio. You're looking at the cost of the parts and fabrication- perhaps as little as $10.

If it were me, I'd opt for a new or replacement radio. I think the low cost of a VHF is completely justifiable, as it's part of your safety gear.

I checked all my usual sources, and you have some options:

Cheapest would be to cobble up a new cord from a different radio. You're looking at the cost of the parts and fabrication- perhaps as little as $10.

If it were me, I'd opt for a new or replacement radio. I think the low cost of a VHF is completely justifiable, as it's part of your safety gear.

I agree with you that a new radio is the best solution. A VHF old enough to need a replacement microphone cord because of age will be lacking many features including DSC capability.

I don't agree with you on cobbling up a new cord from a different radio for $10. I suspect that if the OP had the tools and skills to do this he wouldn't have asked in the first place.

Some older radios have exceptional distance and clarity performance.

The Icom 59 (which is on my assistance towboat...2 of them) was one and so is my Raytheon Ray-77.

While lacking in features, having one hooked to a big stick antenna can give amazing range..mine easily out performs the newer Icom cheaper models and a few Standard Horizons (both well respected names in radios).

While I definitely support having a DSC capable radio..an older radio that performs better than many is a worthwhile project to keep aboard. trusting your radio in an emergency transcends modernization.

If one is not available through Ebay...may want to check a couple old time marine electronics firms...sometimes they have them lying around or can wire a new one to the old connector.

Some older radios have exceptional distance and clarity performance........

Ahh yes, tube radios with crystals for each frequency. Nothing beats vintage when it comes to electronics.

Seriously, 25 watts is 25 watts. That's the maximum allowed. And it's pretty pointless to have more transmitting range than receiving range.

Ahh yes, tube radios with crystals for each frequency. Nothing beats vintage when it comes to electronics.

Seriously, 25 watts is 25 watts. That's the maximum allowed. And it's pretty pointless to have more transmitting range than receiving range.
Sorry...automated "recorded/retransmitted radio checks" have the proof in the pudding...

Stick to what you know please.....even independent tests from people like Practical Sailor seen to think not all 25W radios are created equal.

Last edited:
.......... Stick to what you know please.....even independent tests from people like Practical Sailor seen to think not all 25W radios are created equal.

Electronics is something that I know. You're going to need test equipment to make an accurate judgment of one radio against another. Just saying "testing, testing, 1 2 3" is subjective and not a true test.

And as we learned not long ago, testing done by print media is often biased and not to be trusted. ;)

I'm not sure there "IS" any better test equipment than a remote radio that records and plays back your transmission.

Sea Tow automated radio check on ch 26/27. tried it from NJ to FL and back for 2 years.

If I transmit to a tower 25 miles away with one radio and it's loud and clear and another radio on the same antenna isn't...hard to argue with that isn't it?

I may not be a radio tech..but have probably been transmitting way more than the average person for the last 35 years...seems to me real world tests always beat lab equipment every time.

I'm not sure there "IS" any better test equipment than a remote radio that records and plays back your transmission.

...seems to me real world tests always beat lab equipment every time.

+1 roger that :thumb:

The Ray 215 radio cord is cracked in several places and needs replacement.
I am unable to get a replacement from Raymarine it is no longer available.

Looking on line I can not find one, does anyone have a suggestion or other info?

I really hate to purchase an entire new radio.

I did a quick search and ran across this listing for Raymarine P/N R49060. The image does not look like a mic cord, but it could just be generic photo. Along the way, several boaters mentioned ordering them from West Marine as recently as Feb. According to the comments, it is easily changed.

Good Luck!

Larry
M/V Boomarang

VHF Part

Download catalog from: Gemeco.com
Good luck

VHF Radio Mic Cord Deterioration

I see several old posts re: Ray Mic cords...

Mine is the Ray 215 radio and replacement cords are definitely available.
Raymarine Part # is R49060
Replacement is simple - 4 screws and the cord has a plug which makes it easy...
only trick is to make sure the plug is turned the correct direction... there a two "lugs" that fit into holes and keep the plug attached (see photos)

My question...
Has anyone tried to get Raymarine to provide replacement cords at no charge under warranty or out of warranty??

After doing some research I find a similar problem w/ Icom radios except they have taken the high road and agreed to replace detiorating cords even if out of warranty.
When I called West Marine to place the special order for the cord the store mgr looked up the part no and indicated they had sold over 400 of the replacement cords! I also found an interesting post on another forum site...
"As a surveyor I am seeing more and more of this on boats I look at. It is not just an Icom problem as I see more Raymarine units with this than any other brand. My guess it is poor QC from parts the manufactures purchase from sub vendors. I am also seeing this in hoses less than a few years old. There seems to be an issue with rubber products out there in general. I am guessing Icom and Raymarine as well as others are fully aware of the issue whether they admit it or not. So all I can say is you are not alone in this issue. I hope Icom takes care of you with this."

I'm in the process of seeing what Raymarine will / won't do just wondering what others experience has been.

Attachments

• 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 515
  • 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Mic 001.jpg
    Mic 001.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 946
  • Mic 002.jpg
    Mic 002.jpg