Advice and Info on buying a small trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PuppyR

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Morning Starr
Vessel Make
Marine Trader DC
Hello All:
I have found this forum to be interesting and informative. I'm getting closer to a possible offer on a boat but have a few questions.

1. I am looking at a Senator 32 Sundeck (Double Cabin) but can't seem to find much information on them. Looks like they made more 35s than 32s. Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer was, and enlighten me as to possible issues with this brand of boat.

2. 32 vs. 34? We are new to "big" boating and my wife has even less boating experience than I do. My thought process has been to limit us to a max length of 34. We plan to use the boat for weekend outings along the ICW and maybe spend a week or two down the road. What are the opinions out there on this thought process?

3. When making a offer who pays for the out of water survey? engine survey? Pulling charge? etc. Is there a customary way of handling these items.

4. Will offer be contingent on survey and sea trail (ie can I walk if I don't like either)?

5. How long should the whole process last?

6. I will hire someone to show us the ropes. What should I expect to pay, what should be covered, and how much time should this take? I have owned boats off and on my whole life but they have been mostly smaller fishing boats up to about 24 feet.

7. The electronics on the boat are fairly old so I would want to add a navigation system and engine management system. Assuming around $4000 for the hardware what would be a ball park for installation?

8. Boat has no fuel gauges just sight tubs on each tank...any issue?

Still have a few more boats to look at before I pull the trigger but would really appreciate any input and thoughts on the above. We really do like the looks of the Senator just need more input.

Thanks for the help!

1. Sorry I can't help you on that.

2. In most cases bigger is better. And a lot of people regret buying a boat that turns out to be to small for them. And they quickly find that they have out grown it. So I would look at 34' - 36' if you think 32' is enough.
You should also consider chartering a few boats before you buy. Both for training and to get a better idea what size boat you are really going to be comfortable on.

3. You do. Your broker should be able to explain all the steps for you.

4. Yes and yes in most all cases.

5. That depends on a number of things. How busy all parties involved are, where the boat is located, etc. But a week or two is normal.

6. $250-$350 a day is in the ball park. The training should cover boat handling, nag skills, basic engineering, anchoring, basic general maintenance, etc.
No way to tell how long it will take. Depends on a lot of factors that aren't known at this point. Again, consider chartering with a captain before you buy.

7. Could be depending on what all you need/want. Could easily be double if you want the latest, greatest and biggest. Installation costs can vary greatly depending on what equipment you're getting, access to run cable and if any custom enclosures have to be made.

8. Not for me. Sight tubes rarely fail or give false readings. :)

Who needs to pay for "nag" skills? My wife already has that one down pat!

Other than that, pretty much agree with Cap't Bill. there is no real difference in handling a 34-36' over a 32' boat. Find the boat that suits you, and you will pretty quickly learn how to handle it.

Senator .... and all other TT's (Taiwan Tubs) are pretty much the same. Do your reasearch on any Taiwan trawler and you'll find they all have the same issues to watch out for ....... rotted deck core under the teak decking, rotten bulkheads around the leaking windows, very questionable propane systems and rusty fuel tanks (often quite seriously). There are some decent ones out there but your best defense is self education.

Take a look at Marine Survey 101 before you look at the next boat.

Survey! - Survey!! - Survey!!! With competent, recommended, certified, accountable Professional Marine Surveyor and Marine Mechanic. Worth their weight in GOLD... for either having you realize it's time to walk away, or time to dicker for representative BIG price adjustment, or worth purchasing at a reasonably agreed cost.

Just make sure you get contingencies well written into pre-sale contract so that if you decide to for any reason you can walk with DP $$$ refunded.

Best Luck Cap'n!

Cap't Bill-actually her "Nav" skills are pretty darned good. And, since she occasionally reads this, I was kidding about her "nag" skills!

I'd follow Capt. Bill's advice. Also you will need a survey to get insurance on the boat. It took me almost a month to close on my 36 Gulfstar.
If I were you I'd look in the 34 to 36' range it will broaden the number of boats available to you. I come from the camp that bigger boats are easier to dock and handle especially anything in the 34 to 40 foot range.
Bill

Boatpokers comments apply to ALL boats, not just taiwanese. While looking, check the difference between boats kept in covered storage and those in the open. Rainwater is what rots boats and all boats leak... somewhere. If a boat was maintained it will show. If it was neglected, regardless of where it was built, that will show too.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input. I will keep advised as to the progress on my search.

OP, stop and read this again. It will give you a great point of reference and the experience you will need anyway.

You should also consider chartering a few boats before you buy. Both for training and to get a better idea what size boat you are really going to be comfortable on.

It is very wise advice
:thumb::thumb:

We are new to "big" boating and my wife has even less boating experience than I do.

As others have said, you would do best to get some experience (primarily through chartering, though there are other routes like clubs) before you make what could be an expensive mistake.

You have friends with boats? Maybe a ride that way... to get a feel-of-the-deal!

You have friends with boats? Maybe a ride that way... to get a feel-of-the-deal!

And one way to make local friends - who boat the same waters and probably use their boats the same way - is to join a yacht club. Not for everyone, but if you join an active club you will get opportunities to go out with others. My club uses the motto "A yacht club is the best accessory you can buy for your boat", and I agree with that. Plus, a member who sells to ( or does a partnership with) another member CAN be a low-friction transaction. As always, your actual mileage may vary. ?

Back
Top Bottom