Carrying a dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllanY

Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee, Trawler
I would like to know how people carry their dinghy

I notice that some carry them on the duckboard and others on davits

I have 2 dinghies an alloy one and a rubber duckie.

The PO took the davits off the boat as he thought they were too heavy.

I am thinking of replacing them.

I am a bit concerned with carrying a dinghy on the duckboard whilst out at sea.

What do others think??

Allan

-- Edited by AllanY on Sunday 1st of August 2010 05:02:05 AM

No davits are designed to carry at sea , as a breaking wave could fill the dink, which would be quite a load aft. Inshore there great.

We have used the Simpson Laurence davits on boats and find them excellent.

Coastal cruising , anchoring out , always creates a problem with waste storage, the dink is a perfect spot for carrying it.

One downside is the boat becomes 5 ft longer if you ever have to pay for a dock.

On LUCY our lobster conversion, the 9ft Grumman is so light I just grab the bow painter and yank it up over the stern rail.

Allan
Depends on where you are going and what you want a dinghy for.
Me I'm a tinny man, rubber duckies are teething rings for crocks.
I carry mine on the top of the wheelhouse and when I am up in the reef or cruising around behind Fraser I tow it.
If you can get it up high behind the fly bridge , then do it.
Davits just get in the way when you are fishing or trolling for spanish and also block your aft vision especially if you are night traveling.

Benn

We carry ours on davits off the back of the flybridge. Boats out of any harms way and the aft deck views and full use of the swim platform is maintained.

One KEY to good domestic relations is the bride MUST be able to launch the dink and go ashore at her whim.

Recovery aboard is an OK 2 person drill, but its best when she does not feel TRAPPED aboard.

"the bride MUST be able to launch the dink and go ashore at her whim."

img_24195_0_334a92f2dc0c37a66efb71207f64c345.jpg

We just bought a rubber duckie. 51lbs. That's the reason * * *..the only reason. I can easily pull it up on the high deck. Just never seem to get around to building a mast or davit for the FG * ..proper dinghy.

Eric Henning

Back
Top Bottom