Thread: masts and booms
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
healhustler
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
The mast/boom assembly on our Krogen Manatee was rated at 600 lb. max, according to Krogen, but I'd never get near that. I used it to hoist our dinghy and outboard on deck, maybe 175 lbs. with no issues, but it was a handful to control in beam seas or stiff breezes. At least one Manatee regularly uses a stay-sail (photo below) and I've seen it deployed while underway and at anchor. The size of the sail doesn't look like it would do all that much. but since this couple has done 23 loops (that I know of) and four down-island runs deep into the Caribbean, I'd say he should know. Also, his mast, boom and rigging were all super built to hoist a huge dinghy and big outboard onto a large cradle aft the boat deck.

When setting up a man-overboard routine on our Manatee, it was evident that my Admiral could not handle the mast and boom setup, so I removed it, built a fold-down electronics mast, and added a swinging dinghy crane that is easily managed. She can now bring the dinghy/motor combo aboard easily, and me with it if necessary. Block and tackle setups for the crane and dinghy davits were trashed in favor of hand-crank winches and Amsteel 5400 lb. line.
Attached Thumbnails
ManateeSailOpen.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote