Anyone have a Standard Horizon CP590?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I'am thinking of upgrading my CP1000 at the lower helm to a new CP590. I now have radar on a separate display and the 590 supports the Si-Tex MDS radar that I already have and with the addition of a heading sensor I could overlay on a larger screen. I would appreciate any reviews from users of the CP590 especially any use with radar. Thank you

Ok so no one has a cp590 how about a cp500 with radar anyone have this gear?

I have installed and used several CP 590s. I really like them and think you get a lot of bang for your buck out of them.

Thank you Capt. Bill, I just bought the 590 about a half hour ago. I'am sure I'll be happy with it I was looking for reassuring replies that it's money well spent. SH has outstanding customer support, I've relied on it a few times when wiring up my GX-2150 VHF radios which now I'll have to do all over again

Mr. RC, let us know how it works out. I have the CP500, and would be interested to know what the improvements are. I don't have a radar linked to mine but it's something I'm interested in doing.

It should be here this week, I'll give my 1st impression of it after getting it all wired up. I have a heading sensor I'll have to mount and add to the nema 0183 data wiring, all other wiring is in place with my present displays. I started out looking for a used cp500 but I've only ever saw a couple on eBay in the last 3 years.

A year and a half ago when I was looking to upgrade my plotter I looked at the SH series of plotters. What made me look at them was their excellent customer support and the fact that they were the only plotter that had full internet connectivity, at least at that time.
I think the future of plotters will include full internet connectivity via icons similar to what you see on cell phones and tablets.

I decided to go with a Raymarine unit that the company heavily discounted because it was no longer in production and all my other stuff was Raymarine.

I'm not sure if SH has a computer interface that allows you to plot routes on your computer and then transfer them to the plotter. That feature is important to me and would be a deal maker/breaker. I also wanted a touch screen and I don't think SH has a unit that supports that feature.

Anyway I think you bought from an excellent company with great customer support.

Tim I thought a touch screen like my iPad would be great until a recent trip from the upper Mis, thru the Great Lakes to the Detroit river. In rough water on Lake Huron the iPad touch screen was difficult at best to use and that's holding it in both hand or laid on a flat surface. I would of stayed with my cp1000 if it had supported my Si tex radar. A bigger screen is easier on old eyes.

I got the 590 mounted and did a temporary wiring to try the radar and chart no overlay still have to mount heading sensor. I really like the larger screen, targets are easier to see. I then got sick with flu or cold and went home to the Dr and found out I have pneumonia. After a shot and some antibiotics I'am feeling much better, I plan on heading back to the river next week and may be able to finish the permanent wiring while getting ready for the holiday weekend with kids & Gkids. I'll post some screen shots and my impressions after using it for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom