Ok.. Now about serpentine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mule

Guru
Vessel Name
Florita Ann
Vessel Make
1982 Present
In the movie, Soyent Green, Heston had an assistant he called "The Book" who remembered and knew everything. Seems on this site there are a lot of people that know a lot.
Here is the question; I have a Ford-Leahman Super 135. It has 2v belts pulling the hydraulic pump for the stern thruster and a single for the alternator. Just got the boat, not sure if there are more belts but on my other (buyers anyone?) boat is a 5.9 Cummins with a serpentine belt and I an a believer. This is way down the list an more of a just wondering exercise but I wonder if converting to a serpentine system I practical, cost effective and worthwhile.

altmount

altmount_33.jpg

Mule,
You must have an electric clutch to disengage the hyd pump when not in use.
So I would think a serpentine belt would be only a very slight advantage as it's so seldom used.

Also I think belt adjustment on the 2V would have much more latitude requiring far fewer adjustments as time goes on. I suspect that's why spring loaded tensioners are found on cars.

Also I suspect much less tension would be required on the 2V belt. Don't know though and it could be the other way around. Who knows?

Probably not much of an advantage

Serpentine belts have the ability to run at higher speeds , bend around to multiple devices, run at better pulley ratios, and higher belt tensions. Do you need this? Why screw with something that's been working well for years? One big disadvantage is that when it breaks you lose multiple devices instead of maybe just one or two.

You are right, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, I so happen to have a cummins 5.9 with a stock serpentine belt. But it also has v belts for the hydraulic stern thruster. Not sure why, but there you go.

Back
Top Bottom