Looking for Surveyor and Carpenter in the Chesapeake area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apres Ski

Vessel Name
Après Ski
Vessel Make
1991 French Canal Boat
Hi Everyone-

We are pretty far along in our search for phase 3 of our unexcused absence (a 40-ish foot, old-school trawler), and will hopefully need the services of both a "buyer's" surveyor, and then maybe a good carpenter, somewhere along the Annapolis / Deltaville / Norfolk / Great Bridge / Chesapeake axis.

For the surveyor, we are looking for someone to really dig into the boat's systems and give us candid recommendations, not just a bank or insurance surveyor.

For the carpenter, we are looking for (and are willing to pay for) high quality work. The biggest questions, if you all have any recommendations, are; did they do the work in the time frame promised, and within at least some semblance of the estimated price?

While I am a newly registered user to TF, I have been lurking for months and have come to respect and value your opinions very much. So thank you in advance!

-Kent (M/V Après Ski)

Brett at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great Bridge. Beautiful work (fine furniture quality), will probably be spot on with estimate and completion time, not cheap.

Call me and I'll make some recommendations.

For that kind of survey, Gale Browning of Hartoft in Annapolis. Did my Hatt when I bought, and I hired her based on the recommendation of several trawler and power boat buyers.

I have seen some of Atlantic Yacht Basin's work when staying there; agree it is top notch and they are really good people. Up in Baltimore, I and the PO of my boat had a lot of work done by Anchor Bay East, and also saw a lot of their work. Worth talking to. As a point of reference, the PO used to keep the boat at Calvert Marina in Solomons, right next to Washburns and near a few other yards with good reps. He took the boat to up to Anchor Bay to have any yard work done.

Thank you Tomas, Daddyo, and caltexflanc for your responses, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Did some poking around the interwebs and Brett Taylor (son of James Taylor the GM?) looks great.

Am also intrigued by Anchor Bay East and will drop in next time we are up near Baltimore.

Thanks again!
-Kent (Après Ski)

Peter Hartoft in Annapolis. He's done two surveys for us over the last 20 years or so...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom