Re power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I've got a frack somewhere. Can't find it so I decided to repower. Found a reman cat 3208 n.a. First thing was to cut a hole in the side of the boat. Seems they built the cabin after the motor was installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I tried to post a few more pics it didn't work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 105
Looks like I can't put up more than one pic at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 91
Skipperdude,

Sorry to hear about the forced repower. At least you've got air conditioning for summer..

Where did you locate a rebuild? Was it a local company or mail order?

What's a frack?

Looks like I can't put up more than one pic at a time.
Is that last one steam from a blown head gasket?:)
I can post a max of 3 pics before the system says no. Depends on the "size" of the pics I think.

Sorry ment to say crack in the block,head or exhaust manifold. Found the motor on Craig's list. A fellow in Florida rebuilt 2 of them a 30 year cat mechanic. I wasn't sure of the 're man
so I pulled the oil pan valve covers and the fly wheel. I could see the new pistons and the rear seal. Fired it up and she ran right away. Hard at rebuilding the cabin now. It wasn't a head gasket because I had no coolant in the oil. It wasn't going in the bilge. Went 40 hours run time 10 gallons of coolant. The New motor was set up as a 24 volt had to change the starter,alternator and fuel solenoid as well as all the other senders. Just swapped them off the old engine. Got a lot of good 3208 parts for sale. She was running fine just using a ton of coolant.

Sd

Last edited:
Rebuilt my exhaust system while I was at it. New stainless. I'm dry stack raw water cooled.

Sd

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 92
I don't understand what problems are a dry stack. the exhaust comes off the engine and up thru the roof. The end. No spray ring no lift muffler. Just a big truck muffler up on their roof. What's to put up with? Perfect time to repaint the ER

Sd

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
We had a bad head gasket on a recent rebuilt 6.354 Perkins with the same symptoms. Plenty of steam, eating coolant, yet no coolant in the oil. To our surprise it turned out to be a head gasket. We had been ready to jerk the engine out and go to war with the re-manufacture. The re-builder sent a Perkins OE head gasket, the head and block surfaces were rechecked and the new gasket installed and it solved the problem. They had installed an after market gasket, which our mechanic said looked thinner.

With the Perkins it depended on the location of the gasket failure whether you get coolant into the oil or not. In this case the block and heads were tested by the re-manufacturer for cracks before assembly, so they were relatively sure it was the gasket.

Love the dry stacks. . . all our gillnet boats were dry. You could set a can of soup or ravioli on the muffler and it would be ready to eat in short order. LOL:blush:

I replaced the head gasket 2 years ago. At the time I discovered one sleeve on a cylinder had shifted. This was from a previous rebuild. She knocked bad on that cylinder. Anyway when this issue came up I decided I was through with it. Found the 3208 for $8k. Kind of a pig in a poke all I had to go on was invoices for all the parts to rebuild 2. 3208's
And a good story. Cat wanted $18,500 with out the heat e exchanger. I did talk to the guy that rebuild tr it he did it for his own use but had to sell.
As to the dry stack I truly can't see a problem with it. KULASS44 has me puzzled

Sd

As to the dry stack I truly can't see a problem with it. KULASS44 has me puzzled
Sd

If you lived in Florida or the Southern gulf (that other gulf :whistling:) I can see where the extra heat could be an issue, but here in the PNW and Alaska, the heat was a blessing in the cold and rainy fall months. You get wet working on deck come in and hang up your gear near the stack, it would dry right out and be ready for your next pick!!

That was an excellent engine deal :thumb:

ps: Two of our boats were keel cooled too which was great because you avoided plugged water intake, with poppers and eel grass mainly and the others had heat exchangers for the engine cooling, but all had dry exhaust.

Last edited:
Just a big truck muffler up on their roof. What's to put up with?

Folks that have white boats might consider Googling Hospital Critical Silencers , there big and heavy , but much quieter than truck mufflers.

Folks that operate in the winter either use dry stack & keel cooling , or spend hours winterizing the sea water side of a heat exchanger system on every return to the dock..

I won't use dry stack as I don't have room for that pipe and big muff running through my cabin.

Back
Top Bottom