Final Voyage Of The Mischief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flagold

Veteran Member
ICW log 1

ICW log 2

ICW log 3

ICW log 4

ICW log 5

ICW log 6

Final Voyage Of The Mischief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 6

ICW log 7

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Series ICW Log 7

ICW log 8

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 8

ICW log 9

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Documentary Video Series ICW Log 9

ICW log 10

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 10

ICW log 11

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 11

ICW log 12

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 12 - Cruising

ICW log 13

Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 13 Final Voyage Of The MIschief

ICW log 14

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 14

ICW log 15

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 15 Documentary

ICW log 16

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 16 - The Nina Ship

ICW log 17

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 17 How To Cruise

ICW log 18

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 19

ICW log 19

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 19

ICW log 20

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 20

ICW 21

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 21

ICW 22

Great Loop Documentary Video Series Final Voyage Of The MIschief ICW Log 22

ICW 23

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Prairie 29 Trawler Video Series ICW Log 23

ICW 24

Final Voyage Of The MIschief Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 24 - Prairie Trawler

ICW 25

Final Voyage Of The Mischief The Great Loop Video Series ICW Log 25 Documentary

She'll sail on, but that's the last voyage for her under our stewardship.

Safe Seas to all of you!

Matt & Connie

Thanks for sharing this voyage, well done. Calm seas in the future.

John

I watched several. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much for posting the logs from your trip. Have to admit, I watched every one. On the one hand, I know it must have been sad for you, have to sell Mischief, but on the other hand, the trip has given you a lot of warm memories to see you through. Certainly the new owners have a boat that was loved and one that is maybe moe capable than they might have realized.

Best of luck to both of you and best wishes for your health!

Thank you,
I thoroughly enjoyed taking the cruise with you. And remembering the trip we did a few years ago.
Wm

My wife and I very much enjoyed watching each step of your journey! As with all your boating videos, I learned much. Viewing your videos became an evening tradition over the past few weeks--glad the journey ended well and safely.

Best,

Chris

Matt and Connie

We just completed watching your videos to Maryland. We enjoyed every minute of it! You two should received an award for making such an informative video of your real time boating experiences!! Your trip mirrored part of our trip which we made in 2000! We regret we do not have videos to bring back memories of our trip, as your video has done for us! Thanks again for sharing with us! Good health to you both! Dick & Mary Jo Bradford LadyMJ

I've only finished about a third of the videos so far but wanted to post my thanks for your video log efforts. I've never cruised the east coast and find it very interesting.

I've often dreamed of doing the Great Loop and your videos give me a good look at the scenery and challenges. Congrats on selling your vessel thanks for sharing this bittersweet trip with us.

Wishing the best to you and Connie in all your endeavors. Hope you continue to hang around and contribute here on Trawler Forum.

Gotta get back to the videos now. Cheers!

Matt & Connie,

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us. Good luck and God bless.

~Fair winds...

Many thanks for the kind replies - we'll still be around from time to time. Connie and I haven't given up boating, we have been updating our 1996 13' Whaler Dauntless to trailer behind a camper van, so we've slowed considerably, but not throwing in the towel.

Safe Seas to all of you.

Matt. I want to thank you for the time you spent videoing and posting your Mischief tales. You made me a prairie wannabe.

Matt. I want to thank you for the time you spent videoing and posting your Mischief tales. You made me a prairie wannabe.

Not an all bad thing. Owning our boat was one of the very best experiences we had. Good luck in finding one!

Matt & Connie you have both been an inspiration to my wife and I who eventually hope to be able to cruise they way you both did. I enjoyed both series with the camper style boat and the Pairie. Somehow I have a feeling this chapter may have ended but the story isn't finished We wish you both the best.
Bill & Jan

Matt & Connie you have both been an inspiration to my wife and I who eventually hope to be able to cruise they way you both did. I enjoyed both series with the camper style boat and the Pairie. Somehow I have a feeling this chapter may have ended but the story isn't finished We wish you both the best.
Bill & Jan

Very best of success in making the leap to cruising - adventures not to be missed - and of course, you're right - we couldn't stay away from the water for long - the new "big boat":

Boston Whaler Dauntless 13 13' Whaler Dauntless Boston Whaler Dauntless - YouTube

I haven't had a chance to watch them all yet but my wife and I spent the days surrounding hurricane Arthur at River Forest (#21 & #22) tied up in the creek behind their boatyard.

The owner is nothing if not a character but the whole place seems to be going downhill.

I watched every video throughout the course of the day.Most excellent journey.Thanks for sharing.I learned a lot and got to see what I will eventually experience.

We felt some strange combination of happiness and sadness as I'm sure you do. Joy that you got so much enjoyment and got that final great voyage in. At least you got to choose how you wanted to end the time. Sadness that it had to be the final trip.

But determination to make the most of all our chances and build memories. Just takes one condition to say our cruising days are over. I hope even then we can continue to enjoy the beauty as we look out and the trips of others just as we did before we could go ourselves. It's hard to put a label on it, but you've not just entertained us and brought us pleasure, you've also taught us a lot and continue to do so with your Whaler now.

I haven't had a chance to watch them all yet but my wife and I spent the days surrounding hurricane Arthur at River Forest (#21 & #22) tied up in the creek behind their boatyard.

The owner is nothing if not a character but the whole place seems to be going downhill.

Ron were you talking about Mark Smith the owner of River Forest Manor? That place has always been a little quirky. Back in the 70s I had some business dealings with Bernard Voliva who lived across the street from the Manor. He was good friends with Axson Smith, Mark's father. We always ate over there with Axson when I was in town. There was a bad piano player and all kinds of squaking and talking birds in the place. It was a must stop on the ICW with all the noise associated with a crowded room of sailors. The buffet was endless. What a place. We also stopped there on our trips north and south on the ICW. The last time we were there was 2007. and Mark showed us through the mansion again. That brought back memories of some happy times in NC.

Last edited:
BandB, ben2go, thanks for that and yes we're continuing on our adventures on the Whaler.

rwidman, Moonstruck: from what I could gather, the place is being split up due to a contentious divorce case. The buffet has been long closed and agree that it has very much the feeling of lost splendor. I really would have liked to have experienced it in the 70's - it must have been THE place to be back then.

Last edited:
First stopped there in 1972, it was the hot spot on that first part of the trip. Over the years it slowly fell into disrepair, my last stop in the early 2000,it was obvious it was on its last legs.

But that area in the 70's and 80's it was the place. The docks were always little sketchy, but the manner and the buffet were something. If you wanted to stop in Belhaven, you needed to get there early, or make a reservation.

John

Ron were you talking about Mark Smith the owner of River Forest Manor? That place has always been a little quirky. Back in the 70s I had some business dealings with Bernard Voliva who lived across the street from the Manor. He was good friends with Axson Smith, Mark's father. We always ate over there with Axson when I was in town. There was a bad piano player and all kinds of squaking and talking birds in the place. It was a must stop on the ICW with all the noise associated with a crowded room of sailors. The buffet was endless. What a place. We also stopped there on our trips north and south on the ICW. The last time we were there was 2007. and Mark showed us through the mansion again. That brought back memories of some happy times in NC.

I'm talking about Axson Smith. Axon is in his late 60s and inherited the place from his father.

He was the only marina who would take us as Arthur was approaching. He hopped on our boat at the marina and took as around the other side of the peninsula to the creek behind the boat yard. Eventually, he tied us to the dock on one side and a large tree on the other side.

He mentioned that he had had cancer twice and was trying to sell the manor but keep the marina. He did take us into the manor and it's closed and in pretty bad shape. No restaurant, no bed and breakfast. It would take a lot of money and effort to bring this place back to its former glory.

The marina itself also needs a lot of work. Apparently they were hit hard by a hurricane a couple years ago and the marina had a lot of damage.

He and his wife were very friendly and accommodating but he did charge us a hefty premium because of the storm. We were the only boat there.

BTW: I have to feel a little sorry for him and the other marina in town. The town has recently completed a nice set of docks in the center of town and charges $1 per foot or so. It seems unfair to collect taxes from a business and then use them to build a competing facility.

Last edited:
First stopped there in 1972, it was the hot spot on that first part of the trip. Over the years it slowly fell into disrepair, my last stop in the early 2000,it was obvious it was on its last legs.

But that area in the 70's and 80's it was the place. The docks were always little sketchy, but the manner and the buffet were something. If you wanted to stop in Belhaven, you needed to get there early, or make a reservation.

John

John, everyone did a side tie on that one long dock. The dock master would snug the first boats up next to shore, then fill out to the end. The dock was a little rickety, and if that wasn't bad enough a rattle snake crawled across the dock in front of us. We were the second boat in on the South side. A big south wind came up pinning us to the dock. I had to wait until all the boats behind us left. Then to stay off the dock came out in full throttle reverse on the port engine. We stayed about a foot off the dock the whole way. I was thankful for twin engines that day. What a place!

Matt & Connie

That was an amazing journey. Thank you so very much for sharing.

The wife (Lori) and I hope to follow some of the same waterways you took us down when we get our boat finished.

Good luck in all your future adventures! Keep the Youtube video's coming.

Regards and thanks again for such a wonderful travel log.

Matt & Connie

That was an amazing journey. Thank you so very much for sharing.

The wife (Lori) and I hope to follow some of the same waterways you took us down when we get our boat finished.

Good luck in all your future adventures! Keep the Youtube video's coming.

Regards and thanks again for such a wonderful travel log.

Thanks for that and best of luck in your travels with that most unusual looking boat! How wide is that? Are there any pictures of the cabin?

Thanks again

Thanks for that and best of luck in your travels with that most unusual looking boat! How wide is that? Are there any pictures of the cabin?
Hi Matt

It is indeed a Bateau.com TW28. We stretched he design 1 meter midships. She's 31' 5" LOD and 10' 3" beam. As of right now I'm just priming the bottom (boat is upside down). We hope to flip it over in a few weeks time to start the fiberglassing on the inside. When it's finished it should look something like this.

img_254884_0_65b0a06431a7f9c17a70a77d104a7b34.jpg

You can follow along on our thread here. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s25/new-construction-she-kon-15431.html

Ok, nuff about me. Carry on! :thumb:

Hi Matt

It is indeed a Bateau.com TW28. We stretched he design 1 meter midships. She's 31' 5" LOD and 10' 3" beam. As of right now I'm just priming the bottom (boat is upside down). We hope to flip it over in a few weeks time to start the fiberglassing on the inside. When it's finished it should look something like this.

img_255054_0_65b0a06431a7f9c17a70a77d104a7b34.jpg

You can follow along on our thread here. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s25/new-construction-she-kon-15431.html

You need to start another 'builders' thread with this designs headline. It deserves to have its own page.

Hi Matt

img_256168_0_65b0a06431a7f9c17a70a77d104a7b34.jpg

After finally getting enough time to go through the thread, I agree with Cappy and would take it one step further and do a video series. This is a very interesting project you're doing, not to mention using it to do the ICW. Very best of luck to you!

Some sad news:

Some of you might remember the trip we took up the Intracoastal to deliver the Mischief to Maryland:

https://youtu.be/PLre_kjIJ8Q

Well the new owner's health has failed, and the the boat is up for sale (at a giveaway price as far as we're concerned). $28K. The last 3 owners (us in the middle) have rebuilt all the systems on the boat.

Step on, turn the key, go.

Ad on Yachtworld: 1979 Prairie Single diesel Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm not the owner, part owner, mortgage holder, or broker - but naturally we have a strong attachment to this boat and want to see it get into good hands that will cruise it. It deserves a better fate than sitting and rotting down.

Phone the owners: Joe & Mary Ann: 410-286-2552.

Thank you,

Matt & Connie Mattson (old owners)

Great looking boat. Yeah, I hope it looks like that too. Sure to be following along on this one!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom