Taking Off Adhesive Residue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I mentioned in Post #17... "Spray on carburetor cleaner” with Toluene in it. NAPA auto stores. If you can get pure Toluene, be careful. CA outlawed it some time ago. I'm surprised it is still allowed here in carb cleaner.

Toluene liquifies most adhesives, plastic... and more. Be careful to not leave wet on Gel Coat - can liquify that too!

Not exactly…I couldn't lay my hands right then on a Koala...
Fortunately the koala is a protected species. Pretty sure cloth is a better more co-operative applicator. It works, I guess unprocurable in the States, available here in supermarkets. I suspect AutoSol polish might do it too.

I would say that if you've tried acetone and it didn't work you are doing something wrong. Acetone has always worked for me, be it adhesive or rubber from dock edging.

You need to let it soak on the surface for a bit, then rub with a cloth or paper towel. Sometimes you have to do it more than once.

Anyway, I have tried all the usual, including acetone, so I googled it, and one fellow who encounters it a lot recommended lighter fluid - same as we use to fill the gas lighters on the boat, I guess. Have to wait till at the boat to get the fill bottle to try it however, so no feedback yet. Anyone else used this..?

Yes, I have. And lighter fluid is a great cleaner/remover for a lot of things.

Back
Top Bottom