Hi from trawler newbies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dads trawler

Hi all.

I've signed my father up on this forum as he has moved from his London apartment onto a 64ft 1938 Scottish trawler here in Rochester Kent.*It has been converted into a houseboat at sometime*during it's life and has everything onboard that you could wish for. He has*lived aboard now*for*6 months and has found out many things that need attention before she can go to sea. I have recently also*moved aboard to help with as much as I can as he is now in his 70th year, although you wouldn't believe it !

*The engine is*Gardner 8L3 which we*were told*runs sweetly, unfortunately all the batteries are dead and although my dad has bought new replacements, we haven't gotten around to fitting them yet. At the current moorings we are unable to lift the vessel out of the water as they only have a 20 ton max lift, so we need to take her to another marina before we can complete the outside paint works. The current moorings are tidal and she takes onboard enough water for daily use of the manual bilge pump, my father believes that this could be due to the stuffing box needing attention. This is ne area where we need help, as to which type of box is fitted, how to gain access etc ? There is a box in the rear cabin which could be the rudder box, we haven't had the floor up in this area to investigate further yet.

Our first priority was to stop the leaks through the deck and we believe that we have finally conquered this through a lot of hard work. It*has been tough sleeping with the*drips when it rains !*Once the deck has been finally*completed, as it still needs some more attention,*we are going to move to the outside of the boat, which needs completely stripping before painting. The previous owner hadn't touched the paint work in 18 months and we are not sure when it was previously painted as the vessel was sailed into the UK from Portugal.

We have trawled the internet in search of some history on the boat but have failed miserably, any help with this would be great.*We will try and post some pictures and supply any info that we can.

Alan and Paul aboard the Karina.

Welcome aboard,

1938 wooden boat.
Do you know the last time she was re-chinked. Could be the cause of the water. You may need to haul her for a while.
*Find a yard that is famillar with wooden boats as they tend to sag when they are wet.
I have seen them sag on the straps as if made of rubber.*
when you splasher make sure the batteries and pumps are good as she will take on lots of water untill she swells up.

Good luck.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 28th of July 2010 11:07:38 AM

Thanks for the very speed reply SD, could I just ask as a newb what re-chinking is ?

Thanks Paul

Perhaps I used the wrong term. Re caukling is perhaps more widely used.*
It is when you get the paint off the hull the cotton yarn thatis used to fill the seams between the hull planking. The old stuff has to be removed (There is a tool for that) and new Yarn tapped in with a mallet and a caulking tool. Sort of a wide chisel.
The caulking swells with the wood when you put her back in the water forming a water tight seal.
*SD

Ok got ya there SD. We have done quite a bit of caulking repairs to the deck and are aware that the hull will take a lot more work.*Our plan is to complete as much as we can before she sails to a dry dock*.

-- Edited by Dads trawler on Wednesday 28th of July 2010 05:07:12 PM

-- Edited by Dads trawler on Wednesday 28th of July 2010 05:10:47 PM

Attachments

• picture 269.jpg
    picture 269.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 85
OK get hold of the local shipwright and let him do an inspection of the hull and deck to determine the state of the planking and fastenings. At that age it could be a bit nail sick and require re fastening as well as re caulking.
Depending on the type of timber will determine the type of caulking, okum or cotton.
The larger seams of that style of boat will most probably be okum.
Recaulking will require rakeing of all the bad seams,recaulking and then new putty ot sikaflex that choice is yours or the shipwrights.

Check the engine shaft to inspect the stern gland / stuffing box and see if it is leaking, if so repack it when you get the boat hauled.(you can use either greasy hemp packing or the new style "Gortex"packing which is just about dripless)

With that age of timber boat I would reccomend hauling on a traditional slipway and not a travel lift as the slipway will give more support and lessen the chance of any hull distortion or springing of any planks.

If the Gardner is in good condition it will last forever the best dam diesel ever built.
Them horses are not Shetland ponies.

If I lived over your way I would be around to give you a hand in a flash she looks like she would be a good heavy boat to go to sea in.

Benn

Thanks you for your reply and info Benn. I agree that her age should be taken into consideration in all aspects. Dad was hoping it would be a straight forward renovation of the paint and surfaces etc, however I think it will take a lot more effort. The reward at the end will be worth it though to see her looking great again.

We believe the stuffing box is under the parquet flooring in the rear cabin, as there*used to be a hook in the floor. We can*see the shaft disappear*under the floor,*but can't see the stuffing box, so the floor will have to come up. Do you think it would be best to do this when she is hauled, or dry, than do it now when the tide brings water in ?*

If she dries out whilst lying there you can do it then instead of waiting for haulout.
Just ensure the gland is repacked and nuts on before the tide comes in as it may get quiet wet..
I remember tying a North Sea Trawler up along side in the Scottish port of Bluff , thought I had plenty of water.
In the morning I woke up to find the harbour dry.

That was some 40 years ago , I've got a bit more experience now.

Hiya DT,
** I would suggest pulling up the floor while she's still in the water to see, if in fact, the stuffing box is leaking and/or how badly.* If you're going to repack yourself, wait until she's in dry dock so you won't be racing the tide.

Question.
When you say stuffing box. Are you refering to the stufing box for the rudder or the stuffing box on* the drive shaft off the main engine?
The stuffing box should be accessible without tearing up the floor unless the P.O. installed the floor without reguard to access.
Also when the tide goe's out is she sitting high and dry? From looking at the photo she seems to have some of her planking sprung loose on the gunwhal. if she sits on the hard when the tide goes she may be taking on water from the hull.

I would love to see a few more pics of her.**From the bow she's a fine looking old gal

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 2nd of August 2010 08:46:05 AM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 2nd of August 2010 08:48:59 AM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 2nd of August 2010 09:02:19 AM

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm*only just back from a weekend away.
She sits in the water for approx 6hrs a day, in*total from the tides, otherwise she rests on mud out of the water.
We have looked down the driveshaft from inside the engine room and it disappears under the rear cabin. There was a rusty hook in the cabin room*floor which had come away, so we did try to lever the floor up, but it wouldn't budge. We believe it will though with a bit more effort. There are two witness lines along the floor which would suggest it opens along these. This are area under the floor is flooded at high tide, so it does need some*attention, we are only guessing that it is the driveshaft stuffing box ?
I will find some time this week to take some more photos and upload them onto here for you to look at. As soon as the floor has been lifted, I will also post the results.

If you find any skeletons down there, just call 'Bones' & Booth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom