View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #86
RickB
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think writers for media fall into the "Consultants" category, in their case influenced by the vendors who place the ads and pay the bills.
I'm not saying that both sides operate in a vacuum but the coziness isn't quite what a lot of people think and what you imply it is.

The magazine develops an editorial calendar that tells what topics are going to be featured in what issue for the upcoming year. That calendar goes to the writers and it goes to the advertisers.

After all, if you were selling propellers wouldn't you prefer to place your ad in an issue that focused on the latest developments in propeller manufacturing or materials?

The reason why articles and advertisers match so closely isn't the result of some devious plot to scam the readers, it is just good business for the advertisers. A writer had better contact the people involved in the industry segment he is writing about, they are the experts, but until the issue hits the street, in most cases he or she has no idea who the advertiser is. That connection is made by the advertising department as far as I know.

I don't sell advertising, I produce interesting and accurate technical copy that is based on verifiable facts, not opinion or editorial pressure. And in the end, that is what sells advertising ... editorial integrity.