Salty Dog Rally cancelled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings,
:hello:Just read that the Salty Dog Rally to Alaska has been cancelled. Something about insurance and medical exams for participants. What ever- Any specific news? Because of the rousing exciting fanfare for this event and the expected high numbers given, had planned on not being in a specific area to avoid the crowd. It sure sounded like a fun voyage for boaters wanting in a common way in fleet form.
Sorry for the cancellation if it is confirmed.

Al Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere)

Greetings,
:hello:Just read that the Salty Dog Rally to Alaska has been cancelled. Something about insurance and medical exams for participants. What ever- Any specific news? Because of the rousing exciting fanfare for this event and the expected high numbers given, had planned on not being in a specific area to avoid the crowd. It sure sounded like a fun voyage for boaters wanting in a common way in fleet form.
Sorry for the cancellation if it is confirmed.

Al Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere)

Where did you see that, Al? You're obviously on top of breaking news as their website still shows nothing. Wasn't it scheduled to start yesterday? I see the first Waggoner flotilla which left on May 18 had 9 boats. Don't know about the one leaving Anacortes on June 1.

Band B- I am sending you a PM. AMJ

:flowers:Yes, a majority number of the Waggoner cruise passed our house during last week. All the boats were proceeding at a comfortable pace. I don't recall a full nine vessels in the count.

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

BandB-- Apparently you and I are the only partcipants in the conversation. I had asked for an email so to send the email post that contained a PDF which I am not able to transpose to the trawler sits. So here goes an actual wording from the Wrangel Golf course 'Muskage Medows" new paper.

Quote" JuneAt 2-2014

"The announcement came this week of the cancellation of the Salty Dog Rally to Alaska. Dog officials are exploring the possibility of a future event.
At this time it is reported that the cancellation is due to lack of participation which stems
from an insurance clause that requires each participant of the rally to have doctor's exam and meet physical requirements" end of quote

Now you have what I have-
Al

BandB-- Apparently you and I are the only partcipants in the conversation. I had asked for an email so to send the email post that contained a PDF which I am not able to transpose to the trawler sits. So here goes an actual wording from the Wrangel Golf course 'Muskage Medows" new paper.

Quote" JuneAt 2-2014

"The announcement came this week of the cancellation of the Salty Dog Rally to Alaska. Dog officials are exploring the possibility of a future event.
At this time it is reported that the cancellation is due to lack of participation which stems
from an insurance clause that requires each participant of the rally to have doctor's exam and meet physical requirements" end of quote

Now you have what I have-
Al

Ah. so cancelled because no one participating. The physical requirements and doctor's exam was unique.

Update on cancelled Salty Dog event. This from the latest editon of the Wrangell newspaper:

"Reader Comments (0) Print Share/Save/Bookmark
HomeNewsSportsAbout TownPolice ReportsObituariesOpinionDocksideClassifieds
Photos
By Kyle Clayton
Chamber of Commerce seeks refund for cancelled boat rally

June 12, 2014 | Vol. 112, No. 24

The Salty Dog yacht rally scheduled to stop through Petersburg and Wrangell this month has been canceled, and Chamber of Commerce officials in both communities are hoping to get back the money they paid to the rally’s organizers.

The boat rally consists of groups of boaters that signed up to visit various towns across Alaska this summer with Wrangell being the last stop.

Salty Dog founder Dawny Pack emailed the communities to let them know the event would be postponed until next year.

Petersburg and Wrangell chambers each paid Salty Dog organizers $2000 and had planned community events for the yachters.

Petersburg Chamber of Commerce Director Cindi Lagoudakis said she received notification of the cancelled event about a week and half ago.

“We asked for the refund about a week and a half ago and gave her until the end of June,” Lagoudakis said.

Lagoudakis said the chamber is interested in hosting a rally in the future.

Wrangell Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Cyni Waddington also requested a refund.

“That was money that we allotted for 2014 not for 2015,” Waddington said. “The board would have to reconsider if they would like it for next year. This year, we’re seeking a refund.”

Lagoudakis said Salty Dog organizer Dawny Pack has responded that she’s received their request but has not indicated whether or not the communities will receive a refund.

Calls to Pack went unreturned as of press time."

Al-Ketchikan

That's sad that it was cancelled. Obviously the refunds would be due.

Oh darn it, I was so looking forward to following the travails of a group of people playing follow the ill prepared leader.

The real deal is Brian Pemberton from NW Explorations. They are doing a Prince William Sound GB flotilla.

Oh darn it, I was so looking forward to following the travails of a group of people playing follow the ill prepared leader.

The real deal is Brian Pemberton from NW Explorations. They are doing a Prince William Sound GB flotilla.

Well, it appears a few people chose to do the NW Explorations flotilla or the Waggoner one. And probably most just chose to do their own thing.

Back
Top Bottom