Cutlass Bearing Bolts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dom61

Vessel Name
Brandi Jo
Vessel Make
1975 Marine Trader 34
Hi I need to change my cutlass bearing bolts on my 1975 Marine Trader 34 DC has anyone ever done this job, are they through bolted or are they studs that can be removed Thanks Dom

Inside mine were lag bolts...outside my carrier is on studs...which I think is common for the older, single with keel trawlers as there's no way to through bolt.

So I should be able to unscrew the studs and replace them??

yes...but getting them out may be a trick depending how they were made captive.

hear to around 350 degrees throughout the rod and most adhesives will release, double nut and back out.

Greetings,
Mr. D. On a 1974 MT 34' that I was familiar with I think the cutlass bearing housing was held on by captive bolts. Meaning, once you got the nuts off there was only a threaded stud sticking out. If that is, in fact, the case, I think you'll have to cut into the keel to replace them. Why the concern?

I just found this pic dose it look like yours did
attachment.php

Mine are starting to deteriorate

Just don't snap them off...then you will be cutting/drilling them out for sure.

I would try heating first..then the alternatives....

I'm surprised you got it off without pulling the studs...they are supposed to be threaded on to the log.

This is a pic of a boat like mine that I found I thing the bolts are captive in the keel

I was wondering how they got the flange off the log with the bolts in place

I have read they are studs in most boats and don't have embedded heads.

The studs are to counteract torque as there is really nothing exerting an aft moment thus no heads/anchors...just adhesive nature of resins and caulking.

usually just have nuts holding the cutless bearing carrier on.

Greetings,
Mr D. To the best of my memory, which is none too good, your picture looks like mine but my studs were threaded (no unthreaded section) all the way to the hull which leads me to believe they were BOLTS, complete with heads imbedded and held captive in the hull. I could easily be wrong and Mr. psneeld is correct. The flange just sits against the shaft log with bedding in between.

I just found this pic dose it look like yours did
attachment.php

That's my picture and my boat. Those are 'hanger bolts'. If you can double nut them you can back out the lag screw section and unthread the bearing housing from the shaft log.

I thought there had to be a easier way Thanks Dom

may not be all that big of a deal...big wrenches/breaker bar and a propane torch..and caution/patience

Looks the same but is a different make of boat I will have to do more research

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom