New stove range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattkab

Vessel Name
C:\[ESC]
Vessel Make
2002 Bayliner 4788
All:

When we bought our boat, one of the concerns found in the survey was that the existing propane range and oven did not have a thermocouple. For those that are wondering, this little device is a safety feature that will shut off the flow of propane if the flame goes out for any reason.

We've been very careful about monitoring the flame but it was beyond time to replace it, if not just for our own peace of mind.

We decided to purchase an RV model. I spent hours scouring boating forums, such as this one, and didn't find an overwhelmingly compelling reason not to: It saved us over $800 vs a marine unit, and has all the safety features. The only question is how it will hold up in the galley of a trawler -- we'll just have to see on that one, but we have many non-marine items in our cabin that hold up very well for years already.

After a few hours this weekend of woodworking, the new stove is in place, and burns hot. The old stove got picked up by someone that is going to try to upgrade it too.
20140601_182053.jpg

In the end, if was a very straightforward project. More pictures and details on our blog

That is a very nice install and nice looking unit. What's for supper?

When we replaced our range I felt it was worth the hassle to use a sail style gimboled unit.

At anchor a sudden wake might not scald the cook if the stove can absorb part of the motion, and the pot clamping system works well underway.

Insurance comes in many versions.

All:

When we bought our boat, one of the concerns found in the survey was that the existing propane range and oven did not have a thermocouple. For those that are wondering, this little device is a safety feature that will shut off the flow of propane if the flame goes out for any reason.

We've been very careful about monitoring the flame but it was beyond time to replace it, if not just for our own peace of mind.

We decided to purchase an RV model. I spent hours scouring boating forums, such as this one, and didn't find an overwhelmingly compelling reason not to: It saved us over $800 vs a marine unit, and has all the safety features. The only question is how it will hold up in the galley of a trawler -- we'll just have to see on that one, but we have many non-marine items in our cabin that hold up very well for years already.

After a few hours this weekend of woodworking, the new stove is in place, and burns hot. The old stove got picked up by someone that is going to try to upgrade it too.
20140601_182053.jpg

In the end, if was a very straightforward project. More pictures and details on our blog

We have had "rv" ovens on the last few boats and they did great... the only thing you may need to watch is the clearance from the burner to the wood is appears to be a little close... watch it when a big pot is in use. The idea of a lower unit is great to allow for a top to be fitted to extend counter space... but that is a little too far down to use without careful attention.

HOLLYWOOD

At anchor a sudden wake might not scald the cook if the stove can absorb part of the motion, and the pot clamping system works well underway.
We kinda had to work with what we had with the original stove. The original was not gimballed, and we never used the pot clamp. There are generic pot-clamps I may purchase that should fit though.

We don't really cook underway - 90% of the time is at anchor or at the dock. And the rest of the time was either a kettle for hot water, or a single pan for something like quesadillas. But you're right... a big wake could be dangerous for the cook (usually ME!!! :))

hollywood8118 said:
...the only thing you may need to watch is the clearance from the burner to the wood is appears to be a little close... watch it when a big pot is in use. The idea of a lower unit is great to allow for a top to be fitted to extend counter space... but that is a little too far down to use without careful attention.
That's an interesting point. The back two burners just meet the manufacturers clearance (6" from center), but the original stove was about that deep (within 1/4") too:
20140525_142218.jpg

I did the same install on a sailboat back in '84...sorry, no pictures. But I just adhered ceramic tile around the opening to protect from heat from surface burners. Many years of service with out problem. The RV oven baked bread better than any of the high price marine stoves in next 4 boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom