Why some boats don't sell.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not lately Don, we have been cruising, just got home. Had a wonderful trip down the ICW to St. Augustine.
Home for the summer, then plan fall in the Chesapeake. If I see them I will pass on your hello.!!

During the search for my current boat I made an offer on an over 10 year old boat that per the broker it had been for sale for two years with only one serious looker and no offers. I offered 10% less than asking, the broker tried to reason with the seller but he would not budge more than 5% on his asking price. The boat was in great shape, low hours, always in fresh water and under cover its entire life. It was the most expensive of the 6 like it listed nationwide by $25K . When inquiring about the others all the brokers assured me that an offer 10 to 15% less than asking would be accepted. This guy would not come off but 5%. Three months later I bought a totally different make of boat. A few weeks later the broker called and said that we were only 5K apart, I said too little too late. This fall a year and a half later the same boat moved into the next slip, the seller had to pay slip fees and maintenance for 18 months and in the end took $30K less than I offered. The current owner was only the second offer on that boat in 3 ½ years. Price sells!

Last edited:
What is the opinion of other TF readers about prices in magazine ads, I would really like to hear.
I can`t know if these thoughts work both sides of the Pacific, but if there is no price I`d conclude the seller is avoiding or hiding the price, for good reason, it`s too high. I had a car salesman refuse to quote a price until he was sure I wanted the car. Wanting it depended on price,I went elsewhere.
Your dilemma about prices getting "adjusted" could be covered by adding" Interested? Prices can change, call to confirm current pricing."

I can`t know if these thoughts work both sides of the Pacific, but if there is no price I`d conclude the seller is avoiding or hiding the price, for good reason, it`s too high. I had a car salesman refuse to quote a price until he was sure I wanted the car. Wanting it depended on price,I went elsewhere.
Your dilemma about prices getting "adjusted" could be covered by adding" Interested? Prices can change, call to confirm current pricing."

Agreed!

When there is no mention of price - that turns me off.

Try adding:

"Call me for owner's recent price adjustment"
"Owner is currently adjusting price, please call me"
"Call me for current price, owner is very anxious to sell"...

Brokers need to always give me (us buyers) at least something to hang our hat on; in addition to a picture and some blurb-words. Seems broker would want calls for a chance to SELL any boat!

Broker name and ph # might go a long way in setting up a personalized sales relationship with buyer. I know a phone that often rings could be a bit of a bother - but that's part of the broker game!

Broker story: We were looking for a particular boat and was told by a broker there was a repo available, but he would not say where it was. There is a repo dock in San Pedro, CA, ( a 14 mile trip)so we went down there one night to take a look see. Sure enough, the boat is at the repo dock. There was a night watchman on duty so my wife sashayed down the ramp and started palaverin' with him. Bingo, he opens the gate and let's us go on board and inspect the vessel. More talkin' and he tells us the bank will take any offer. We made a bid and bought the boat. Later, the broker calls us and wants a "bird dog commission." Talk about nerve.

ancora,
How did you find out about the boat? Through an ad placed by the borker and at his expense? Looks like he may have helped you out and you should help him out. How much did he want for his fee? $50 .. $100 ... that would be fair but if he wants $500 as you say "Talk about nerve".

There was no ad, we were "walk-ins" to his place of business at a boat show and started talkin' boats. We did the detective work to find the vessel and then negotiated with the bank. The broker did nothing and that's what he got, nothing.

Well, if it woulda been me, I'd have give the wife 50 bucks!

Can someone post a link to the boat?
I'm on my cell and it's hard to look up.

When we sell the Eagle it will probable take years for the right qualified buyer. A lot of the deal falls through as the bank will loan X dollars so they have to come up with the rest. So they would have to be a qualified buyer and at least have an in water survey done before I would spend too much time and/or negotiate. I have seen many older boats in good condition within a short period of time deteriorate cause by lack of care.

We expect it may take years. It’s not uncommon to larger older boats to be on the market for a long time. Also the Eagle is basically one of a kind, five left scatter around the world, and a heavy long range single engine, so buyers will be limited. However if somebody wants a live aboard dock condo which is the reason we bought it as it’s big or wants a comfortable, singe engine, fuel efficient long range trawler with most of the whistles and bells.

The bigger and/or older the boat the longer it takes.

Here's our broker (s) story. We had been looking at boats with a broker that found one that we wanted, so we presented an offer. After a few go-a-rounds, we were 10K apart and that was it for us. Melisa (our broker), suggested to all parties (seller, his broker, herself and us), that we split the 10K to get the deal done. The boat had been on the market for 2 years. Everyone agreed except the sellers broker. So for 2.5K he was going to tank a $150K deal. We ended up spitting the 10K 3 ways and the seller trashed the broker. I hope the sellers broker thought it was worth it. :)

People tend to overvalue what they're selling and undervalue what they're buying. Human nature. Good brokers try to reign their client in. If a boat takes years to sell, the market has spoken and said, "It's overpriced." If it's not being offered in the right market something is wrong. Certainly in five years one would try different ways or different brokers. So basically it ends up maintaining a price above market. That doesn't mean one might not get it in year 6 or 7 or 8, although unlikely. But the costs incurred over that time offset any price gain. I see people sell something quickly and then think they priced too low. More likely they just priced right.

The other aspect is someone prices well above what they're willing to take. No one contacts them. They think "Well, I would have come down, but I knew people want to negotiate." The problem is people search, look, qualify, get interested based on price. So you need to at least price within a reasonable range of what you would take. You price a boat at $420,000 when you're willing to take $400,000 you have a chance. But you price at $460,000 when you'd really take $380,000 and your potential buyer will never even contact anyone. They're probably saying to themselves, "I'll pay $350,000, but no more than $400,000" or perhaps even, "Want to spend around $400,000, no more than $450,000". You're just excluded from their search.

My boat is for sale in Pensacola. I think the distance to travel from south Florida to the panhandle is why I have had little action. Has nothing to do with the material condition of my boat nor some of the considerations posted on this thread. It is simply the tyranny of distance.

My boat is for sale in Pensacola. I think the distance to travel from south Florida to the panhandle is why I have had little action. Has nothing to do with the material condition of my boat nor some of the considerations posted on this thread. It is simply the tyranny of distance.

I would think the distance certainly reduces the buyer interest. Buyers tend to emphasize their specific area first. Then it seems they're more willing to stray up and down the coast than around to the panhandle. The market seems to be even more problematic moving further west of you.

I do know about a beautiful Heritage East trawler on the panhandle for sale:angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom