Dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
However, I think regulation gray water and food waste is going too far.

Grey water is not just dishwater , it includes shower water.

Most skin is alive with pathogens , remember its cleaner to kiss the Princesses Toilet seat than her hand!

Most skin is alive with pathogens , remember its cleaner to kiss the Princesses Toilet seat than her hand!

Go for it!

I for one will continue to kiss her hand ( or any other part made available )
Than her royal throne.

HOLLYWOOD

For folks with limited on board room the simplest solution for dish washing might be unbreakable dishes , plastic drinking items and just toss them in the washing machine withn a towel or two.

The space saved could hold a wine cooler or keg beer cooler?

I have one similar to the one Parmenter shows. Works great. Only problem is my dinner plates wont fit. They are 10" plates and these dishwashers only take up to 25 cm (9 7/8) i need to get out the lathe. For now, everyone has to use salad plates at dinner.

A dishwasher! I have two hands, don't the rest of you guys??? LOL:lol:

I never use my mechanical dishwasher at my "dirt" home, so would never think of wasting space for such on a boat.

I never use my mechanical dishwasher at my "dirt" home, so would never think of wasting space for such on a boat.

I never was dished by hand at my "dirt" home, so would never think of having a dishwasher on my boat as wasting space....lol

Just proves a lot of our choices on our boats are really consistent with our land choices. The person who eats out a lot at home, will when cruising. The person who showers very frequently at home will be on the high side on the boat as well. Person who runs air conditioning constantly at home will likely want it on the water. It all carries over to some degree.

The Hatt came to us with a full sized dishwasher. Never found it to be a waste of space, but admittedly we had a lot more space than most boats. Could store a few days worth in dishes in there. We entertained a lot, too. For big loads , quite water efficient in the quick wash mode vs hand washing; about 5 gallons as I recall. One thing about ours and all good washers these days, they are almost TOO quiet. Manys the time I'd inadvertantly open it up while it was running. I'd agree for most cruising couples, a trash compactor is a better use of space if you have to choose. But again with our total space, no need for us.

To wash or not to wash (by hand)…

You're a good man MarkPierce! To BandB…how would you know about Captain Pierce's dining habits?
Some folks, such as myself, cook and clean up the old fashioned way. And I would put my cooking skills up against anyone! Some old salts used to drag their dishes behind the boat in a mesh bag.
My outdoor life is different from my home life. Otherwise, what would be the fun of it? Who needs a floating house? I could see a dishwasher in a year round live aboard I guess. The trouble is as you said BandB, a lot of folks try to live the same way in both, if they have a home and a yacht.

PS The Swiss/German Miele company does make wonderful products! Sehr Gut!!!

Our Hatteras was our house for 6 years; no land-based home at all. A dishwasher was not on our "have to have" list, but most boats like ours came with them.

DSC_0422.JPG

Last edited:
The trouble is as you said BandB, a lot of folks try to live the same way in both, if they have a home and a yacht.

PS The Swiss/German Miele company does make wonderful products! !

I see nothing wrong with that. We eat on the boat a lot, we use lots of dishes, we like a dishwasher. Dinner last night was 8 people. And we have Miele. Oh and we also have a compactor.

You're a good man MarkPierce! To BandB…how would you know about Captain Pierce's dining habits?
Some folks, such as myself, cook and clean up the old fashioned way. And I would put my cooking skills up against anyone! Some old salts used to drag their dishes behind the boat in a mesh bag.
My outdoor life is different from my home life. Otherwise, what would be the fun of it? Who needs a floating house? I could see a dishwasher in a year round live aboard I guess. The trouble is as you said BandB, a lot of folks try to live the same way in both, if they have a home and a yacht.

PS The Swiss/German Miele company does make wonderful products! Sehr Gut!!!

There's no trouble at all...living on a boat like you would at home...

I have done my share of primitive camping and survival schools...fun for short stretches...and when I want to.

At least you said a liveaboard has earned the right to have a dishwasher...:rolleyes:

with thinking like that none of us should have anything bigger than a kayak.

I see nothing wrong with that. We eat on the boat a lot, we use lots of dishes, we like a dishwasher. Dinner last night was 8 people. And we have Miele. Oh and we also have a compactor.

Yes, Band B & Wifey, please stick up there more details re your vessel size, type etc, and some pics please. You seem to have escaped censure on this. (friendly censure, I hasten to add)

To wash or not to wash (by hand)…

Just proves a lot of our choices on our boats are really consistent with our land choices. The person who eats out a lot at home, will when cruising.
I was just refering to these lines, BandB. Dinner for 8 sounds nice!

psneeld, I do not think folks should have nothing bigger than a kayak. I am a water woman, but the one thing I don't really like is kayaking and canoeing. Surfing, SUP, Sailing, and swimming and heading out on the Trawler. For now the Trawler is our weekend home. BTW I prefer reading to TV on weekends. LOL

I do see in the pictures that many folks have small sinks, so it is difficult to do dishes with that. That is what I find tough on our other boat. Our trawler has a double stainless steel sink in the galley.

caltexflanc, I didn't know Bosch was made in New Bern. Another good one! I think that if we live aboard again, we will have to look at the trash thing too. The garbage over flow at the marina is ridiculous, not to mention the problem when at sea. I find it crazy about the gray water thing. As one person said, shum isn't garbage, but a piece of left over fish is??? The other thing someone said is that Automatic DW soaps isn't bio-degradable, but I know that there ARE bio-d automatic DW soaps. I have used them at the house. So what are we to do???

it's not about small sinks...it's about convenience.

you missed my point about kayaks...

living on a boat is special to different people in different ways.

some like me live aboard for a variety of reasons and all the comforts of home mean they are on my boat.

only physical limitations of the boat limit what I have on board when it comes to what the average American has in a dirt dwelling.

I don't see that as ANY kind of problem....

Nautical One, we're old fashioned too and on our boat whoever cooks doesn't get to do the dishes.
Bosch is a very good make, Miele although expensive are the best of the best and worth every penny.

Der beste Geschirrspuler

Nautical One, we're old fashioned too and on our boat whoever cooks doesn't get to do the dishes.
Bosch is a very good make, Miele although expensive are the best of the best and worth every penny.

I like that, and that is the right way to do things! A book my sons had on manners said that the cook shouldn't do all the clean-up work too. Cute!
I really don't mind doing both most of the time, because there are many things my hubby does that I can't do on the boat. I am more of a paint scraping and painting laying Bosun. My father would be proud of my mending skills too. LOL If only some of these folks would have used the correct thread for on a boat. arg!

Thanks for the brand advice.

PS How is France???

Hi Nautical One. I'm afraid it was drilled into me as a young 'un that manners maketh man, ne'er cloth nor gold and like all good teaching it stuck.
I'm uncomfortable with people who don't open doors for lady's or have no table manners and respect. I'm not at all grumpy and love a bit of 'craic' an Irish term for good fun (not the chemical variety) nice people, a few drinks and lots of jokes.
France is lovely and large enough to have variety to suit all tastes, the French beaurocracy and politicians are another matter entirely and would make a saint swear at times.
If you have any specific questions or queries I'll be happy to help.

Consumer Reports just tested DW.

Many require almost 2 hours !!! , thats a lot of noisemaker time and fuel for a 10 min hand job.

dishwasher/gray water

It's interesting to hear the left coast complain about " over regulating" by the EPA, after all the spotted owl/smelt causes that started there. It's even more interesting to note that, Art Robinson, a brilliant scientist, the man who is "credited" with starting the EPA in 1971, now says the EPA must be closed/defunded and all turned over to the states, because of over regulating. It is the EPA that is causing all the environmental issues, including boat regulations . I don't believe for one minute that discharging gray water is harmful to anything. I don't mean toilet waste water . 99% of that dishwater ,shower water is biodegradable, as is toilet waste. The toilet waste takes too long to break down so it must be processed. Write your representatives. Boating has a very small voice these days but the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Cambria Lady

It's interesting to hear the left coast complain about " over regulating" by the EPA, after all the spotted owl/smelt causes that started there. It's even more interesting to note that, Art Robinson, a brilliant scientist, the man who is "credited" with starting the EPA in 1971, now says the EPA must be closed/defunded and all turned over to the states, because of over regulating. It is the EPA that is causing all the environmental issues, including boat regulations . I don't believe for one minute that discharging gray water is harmful to anything. I don't mean toilet waste water . 99% of that dishwater ,shower water is biodegradable, as is toilet waste. The toilet waste takes too long to break down so it must be processed. Write your representatives. Boating has a very small voice these days but the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Cambria Lady

If you don't think the delta smelt issue is a big deal you are uninformed.

dishwasher/gray water

Bligh, Thanks for the reply. You're probably right about being misinformed but if I knew nothing and someone gave me a survival question and said choose between the Great bear and man; or between the spotted owl and man; or the delta smelt and man; or the manatee and man : I would in each case make the uninformed decision and choose "man", knowing nothing more. What would you pick? Cambria Lady

This may be the first ever dishwasher thread in the history of Trawler Forum to get booted into OTDE because of politics. It'd be a shame to see that happen :whistling:

This may be the first ever dishwasher thread in the history of Trawler Forum to get booted into OTDE because of politics. It'd be a shame to see that happen :whistling:
Unfortunately, politics invades our every day lives and boating in particular. We have no-discharge zones because of politics. We have boat taxes because of politics. We have no wake zones because of politics. Politics controls our choices in bottom paint.

:rofl:

Unfortunately, politics invades our every day lives and boating in particular. We have no-discharge zones because of politics. We have boat taxes because of politics. We have no wake zones because of politics. Politics controls our choices in bottom paint.

Be that as it may I happen to know for a fact that there are over 240,000 individual posts on this forum alone without politics mentioned in them. If you wish to discuss politics feel free to go to OTDE or some other forum that encourages it because the overwhelming majority of Trawler Forum members have spoken loud and clear that they do not welcome it here.

As a follow up (I know I'm a little late) we miss measured and actually can't fit a DW, so yeah.

Search the mfg literature before purchase to find out what is required to winterize the unit .

Some might be easier than others.

The most modern clothes washers and dish washers have computers that might not like an inverter , and most require a very long time for the operation.

Be that as it may I happen to know for a fact that there are over 240,000 individual posts on this forum alone without politics mentioned in them. If you wish to discuss politics feel free to go to OTDE or some other forum that encourages it because the overwhelming majority of Trawler Forum members have spoken loud and clear that they do not welcome it here.
I don't wish to discuss politics. :banghead:

My point is, when there is a discussion of boating regulations, no discharge laws, fuel costs, etc., "politics" is involved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom