View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
BeagleBoy

City: Tasmania
Vessel Name: Viking
Vessel Model: Nova 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Many thanks for the continued suggestions.

I am glad to hear that some of you live in climates where you can go without clears altogether - I would absolutely love that!
I am also happy for those of you that are able to drive from the lower helm to get out of the elements.
We are all different though, and I personally don't like to drive from the lower helm as I don't have the visibility that I like - due to the design of the vessel you pretty much have to steer by chart only.

My climate is not friendly towards family members that are casual boaters - the next bit of land south of me is Antarctica. In general it is cold on the water here for at least 9 months of the year and cool for another 2 months. Nice Bahama or Queensland weather happens about 20 days a year. We boat over 100 days a year so that leaves me with 80 days of cold/cool.

I guess the point of the post was not to debate having/not having clears, but explore what options there were for replacing my old ones with more modern, low/no maintenance items. There is no debate in my situation - something is going back in there!

I have received some good responses to give me some items to research and I thank you for that.