mg502

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harbor Nights

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
43 Ocean Tri-cabin w/Cummins V555
Help.
How long can one freewheel the mg502 transmission? We are out on a trip and have lost the stbd eng and need to get the boat home.
(Can't start the engine due to the a major oil leak from the eng oil cooler.)

So far I have not found anything in the owners manual.

Thanks

On some mechanical trannies simply sticking it in gear will stop the prop rotation .

5 seconds to try,.

Second try would be a very robust strap wrench , or an improvised shaft brake .

Help.

How long can one freewheel the mg502 transmission? We are out on a trip and have lost the stbd eng and need to get the boat home.

So far I have not found anything in the owners manual.

Thanks

You just need to keep the oil temp below 100 centigrade. Plug the dipstick and fill the tranny housing to the gills and you should be ok for a while. You can also improvise a shaft brake with a couple of 2x4's and hose clamps if you don't have a strap wrench and you are a long way from the barn.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum

Help.
How long can one freewheel the mg502 transmission?

Yup either overfill the tranny and run on in or if you're a long way away from port, bypass the engine oil cooler lines with a fitting to stop oil from going to and leaking from the cooler. (As long as it's not the feed line to a turbo.) You can safely run the engine at idle without fear of overheating or ruining your tranny. Just leave it idling in neutral while cruising.

Follow up
We made it home the next day.
Thanks for the support.
After many hours of searching finally found the leak that caused us to come home on one engine. It is fun docking a twin with one engine inop. Im not one for bow thruster but will say that it is the first time i was glad to have one. Just for getting into the home slip. Only had to use 2 times for less than 3 seconds each time.

So a new topic on fixing the problem

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom