Fuel Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathy and David

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Irie Daze
Vessel Make
Albin 43 Sundeck
I have twin 250 gallon tanks port and starboard that are not self leveling. I want to make them self leveling and want to run this by the forum. I have sight tubes on each tank and was wondering if I just tee off the bottom of each tank's sight tube and run a fuel line between each tank if this will suffice and provide a path to self level?

It would work. The only minor negative might be you get some "bounce" in your sight tube levels while underway, making it hard to get an accurate level. No big deal. Make sure you install an outlet valve on each.

Or just tee your fuel outlet lines together. You wouldn't need extra valves that way.

The tanks probably have a drain plug or valve at the bottom of each tank. My tanks are connected with high quality fuel line from the drain connections at the bottom of each saddle tank. I then have a reversible 12volt pump connecting the 2 tanks. When I want to level the tanks, I just open the drain valves or turn on the fuel transfer pump to shift fuel from one tank to the other.

Mine self level via a 1/4 inch fuel line. And it has a shut off, because there might be times when you don't want to have them level out, however it is not in an easy to reach place.
Something to think about when you make the change.
If you end up in a strong beam wind for hours you might not want the tanks to level themselves because at the end of the day when you're tied or anchored you'll be listing. Been there.

I have twin 250 gallon tanks port and starboard that are not self leveling. I want to make them self leveling and want to run this by the forum. I have sight tubes on each tank and was wondering if I just tee off the bottom of each tank's sight tube and run a fuel line between each tank if this will suffice and provide a path to self level?

That should work but you will want to be able to still close the sight tube (s) above the tee for safety.

Will Irie Daze be level when the tanks equalize? Hobo's fuel tanks (350, each) when they are at equal levels, the boat lists to strbrd. The galley, water heater, water maker and a lot heavy storage items are on the strbrd side. After we fill up, we always run the strdrd tank down first till we're level and then switch between the 2 tanks. If I leave both fill open, I get the list back.

Back
Top Bottom