View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #71
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Choosing the Right Anchor for Your Trawler

Y'all make valid points.When I went to college I was taught to question things and perhaps I over learned it.
Chain and anchor weight for me at this age is about 20lbs. If I put chain on my anchor I'll need to get a smaller anchor and I'm already undersized so I confess I'm probably looking for a miracle for an 8 ton boat. But I just may see a miracle on the horizon. If the Fortress can hold 4 or 5 times as much as my little (about 12lbs I think) Danforth I should be safe and there's every indication it will. But if it dosn't you guys are going to be saying I should have been spending my money on chain and a winch. So I've spent 350 on the 5/8 Brait line, 300 on the XYZ, 200 on the Manson and if I get a Fortress that will be another 350.
Well * *.. maybe it is starting to look a little stupid.
What if I was to consider chain. Would 1/4" be strong enough? That would be a lot of little links to depend on. I know 5/16 will be good.*How much would that weigh? With the Manson I'd like to use 3/8 and maybe 1/2" chain for about 6' but then the gypsy wouldn't work. Perhaps I should seriously consider the reel winch. Ugly sucker. AND expensive!*Then I'll need a wash down pump as I will no longer be able to splash off the mud. This winch and chain talk is depressing. What if I just put 10' of 3/8 chain on my Manson, got a small ($450) drum winch and use the winch drum and 5/8 line to get the chain up to the bow roller and just hand pulled the chain and anchor aboard? Compromise works for politics.
Marin, * *Books are just books and with all the information in Chapman's book there must be something wrong. Sounds logical but I have never found anything wrong and
basically consider it the boating Bible. If Chapman says "a small bit of chain" then thats what it is but my book is 1983 and this recent crop of "new generation" anchors didn't exist. I'm convinced these anchors won't set unless they are laying on their side and that lakes a bunch of scope AND chain to keep the shank down.
Well her's the ugly bugger and it's even on a Willard 30.
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 346.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote