ICW- Your Best Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the actual regulations? And what is the "safety factor"? If my air draft is 13' 6" and the tide board reads 14', is it permitted to request an opening?

The only regulation is that you can't request an opening if you can make it through without one. However, yours is a judgement call and I'd call it too close for comfort. One nice wake along the way, slight error in the tide board, less load on your boat than when 13'6" determined all make it too close. I'd simply say if asked that I was just a little too tall. On the other hand if you had full fuel, full water, heavy load and passengers and you had crew to watch closely plus you had no current and the ability to edge close and back off if necessary, then you might want to check.

We intend to only go under one very close bridge in our lives and that will be the Chicago Canal at 19'2" which doesn't open and to which there is no alternative. Otherwise safety rules.

One bridge in Florida did say to me..."if you're not sure cap, we like to give a 2 foot safety margin"

One issue is the "additional XX feet in the center"...they can't make you go by that...some have optical measuring to see if you will clear...most of the ones I asked in Ga and Fla said they were prohibited from giving that info (though some do)...so I say I'm not comfortable and they open.

The Figure 8 Island Bridge tender thought I could make it and he came down to his catwalk and helped me eyeball it...he was right on with his guestimate and when I cleared we both agreed on what I missed by.

I wouldn't swear by ALL tideboards but may are accurate enough to within a foot or so. Even the bridgetenders that argued with me about clearance have opened when I said I was uncomfortable.

Bridges that haven't answered being called usually call me right after I call the USCG on 16 and ask if that bridge is manned and in operation....obviously I do give a reasonable delay time and several calls first.

I may be in command of my boat but the bridge tender is in command of the bridge.

They can't refuse to open the bridge because they think you can pass through. They can only cite you for a fine.

We need 20' of height to clear a bridge with our antennas down. I've had many conversations with bridge tenders showing 21-22' on height boards in windy/wake conditions where they gladly understood and opened the bridge without question.

One additional point. In Florida, all height boards on all bridges mark "low steel" which is usually on the sides of the opening. Many bridges are arched and provide 3-4 feet of additional clearance in the center. Even just over the last month I've passed under a few bridges showing 18-19' on the height board with no problem. But you can also refuse to pass under a bridge based on the height board reading alone. If there's ever an issue/argument, take a picture of the height board with time/date showing. They cannot demand that you pass under the bridge perfectly centered.

I go under two drawbridges whenever I leave my river for the ICW. They are together for the same road. One is listed at 14', the other at 16'. Why, I don't know, you have to pass under both. There are no tide boards because they are not directly on the ICW and if you call the bridge tender your answer will be 14' and 16' regardless of the state of the tide (there's about a 6' range).

Since I can't get a straight answer, I put my bimini and antenna down unless it's close to low tide.

I've always wondered, is that clearance in the middle of the arched bridge or at the sides?

It's ALWAYS supposed to mark "low steel" or minimum navigational clearance....but I wouldn't bet my mast on it.

We've never encountered a real issue with a bridge tender personally. Most of those we've seen have been started by a boat owner being rude to the tender so the tender decides to show him who is in charge. The last one I heard the boat owner was yelling over the opening being late and not getting an answer, then cursed the tender. The tender explained nicely that he was away from his station due to an older lady whose car was stopped and that had he not gone to help her the bridge would never have opened. Then he added, "Now I'll open it when the first courteous captain arrives and requests me do so." We were approaching but waited to ask just so we could watch it play out. The tender saw us and asked if we were needing it opened. We said we were in no hurry, just when he had time. He said, "Well, for you I'll make time." Then he spoke to the other boat and told him he could follow us through but he did mean follow as we were to be allowed to proceed first.

I think South Florida tenders are use to a lot of traffic and very cooperative. The ones that seem grouchier and more demanding seem to me to be on the lesser traveled paths and more in North Carolina especially (and I'm not speaking negatively of NC as I was born there and lived there until 2012). Some of it is just the Outer Banks crustiness I think. They'll do anything for fishing vessels, just not as loving of "yachts."

One in particular that we'd been through before was giving a sail boat a very hard time. My wife called him and said "I have some delicious chocolate cake here for you if you'll be nice for a few minutes. We'll pull to the dock on the other side and run it up to you, but only if you're nice for the next ten minutes." He laughed and spoke to the sail boat and said, "Com'on through. I'm not goin make you take that thing down cause this pretty lady's bribing me with cake so you com'on and have a nice day."

Now she talked to the tender when we took the cake. Asked him what was wrong. He told her that earlier in the day a sailboat had come through sail up, gotten turned around under the bridge, gone to the side, finally corrected after a bit and got through after over ten minutes. That he lacked the experience to adjust to the fact that the bridge structure blocked all wind and what little was under there was more circling than blowing in any direction. So all the tender really wanted was for the sailboat to have it's motor running just in case. He wasn't trying to get them to take the sail down. Just motorsail if necessary.

When I was young, we went fishing with a guide from Duck, NC in the Currituck sound. His house was the 4th house after the road ran out. He was in his mid 70's but his motor was in the shop so he poled all day. Accent was almost British. Drove my father crazy first for no motor and then as he'd make noise and commotion and call the fish up. We loaded the boat and had the time of our lives with him.

All I'm saying is that some of the tenders are just a different breed. They've been there for decades and almost like to them they own the bridge and you're their guest if they choose to let you in. But they're mostly nice in just their own way.

When I was young, we went fishing with a guide from Duck, NC in the Currituck sound. His house was the 4th house after the road ran out. He was in his mid 70's but his motor was in the shop so he poled all day. Accent was almost British. Drove my father crazy first for no motor and then as he'd make noise and commotion and call the fish up. We loaded the boat and had the time of our lives with him.

I read/heard a reports decades ago about the accents on the Outer Banks of NC. Until recently, the area was very isolated and the language and accent of the people who had lived on the islands for generations was very similar to Shakespearean English. I think the NC mountains were similar in some ways.

Course with easier access, TV, radio, etc, these old regional accents are disappearing as a result.

I have lived in a few places, even worked for a UK company once upon a time and have a pretty good ear for understanding accents. Having said that, on one of my first trips to NC, I heard a guy talking who I could not understand. :eek::):):) He was from a rural part of NC and he was more difficult to understand than the coworker I had from Liverpool... :D

Later,
Dan

They can't refuse to open the bridge because they think you can pass through. They can only cite you for a fine.

We need 20' of height to clear a bridge with our antennas down. I've had many conversations with bridge tenders showing 21-22' on height boards in windy/wake conditions where they gladly understood and opened the bridge without question.

One additional point. In Florida, all height boards on all bridges mark "low steel" which is usually on the sides of the opening. Many bridges are arched and provide 3-4 feet of additional clearance in the center. Even just over the last month I've passed under a few bridges showing 18-19' on the height board with no problem. But you can also refuse to pass under a bridge based on the height board reading alone. If there's ever an issue/argument, take a picture of the height board with time/date showing. They cannot demand that you pass under the bridge perfectly centered.

The relevant arched bridges all show clearance at center on the charts.
Did they dispense with the signs that used to be on the bridge indicating how many feet are additional at center?

I go under two drawbridges whenever I leave my river for the ICW. They are together for the same road. One is listed at 14', the other at 16'. Why, I don't know, you have to pass under both. There are no tide boards because they are not directly on the ICW and if you call the bridge tender your answer will be 14' and 16' regardless of the state of the tide (there's about a 6' range).

Since I can't get a straight answer, I put my bimini and antenna down unless it's close to low tide.

I've always wondered, is that clearance in the middle of the arched bridge or at the sides?

Ron I am pretty sure I know which bridges on the Ashley you are talking about (Route 17?). There's another higher bridge right after them, that is charted as 18 ft but noted on the chart to be 50ft at center. Your bridges are charted as 14ft. You oughta go through at slack tide sometime and put a tape to 'em.

Ron I am pretty sure I know which bridges on the Ashley you are talking about (Route 17?). There's another higher bridge right after them, that is charted as 18 ft but noted on the chart to be 50ft at center. Your bridges are charted as 14ft. You oughta go through at slack tide sometime and put a tape to 'em.

Those are the bridges. The next one causes large sailboats a lot of grief because it's not 65' high. It doesn't bother me though.

I thought of putting a pole on my boat and going through at high tide to see if it hits but that's been six years and I haven't gotten around to it yet. And of course, some high tides are higher than others.

ICW tips

All the tips in this thread are good.
Here's my four rules of cruising the ICW.
1 - One NO vote wins -- if either my wife or I don't like the conditions and says NO to going out, that's that.
2 - We are always more concerned about the conditions at the destination rather than at the start or out on the cruise itself. Weather is everything.
3 - Assume the magenta line on your chart plotter is out of date. Read the markers.
4 - Most dockmasters have DDD, Dockmaster Distance Dementia. When they tell you the Piggly Wiggly is only a half a mile away, it is most likely much further than that. For instance, if they say it is only 8/10th of a mile away, we always multiply the two integers together. 8/10ths = 80 miles away. (Just kidding...but you should have bikes on board your boat.)

ICW Tips

Slow down enjoy the ride.
Don't travel on weekends when the nuts and idiots are on the water with their latest toy.

HTH,
S

ICW Tips

HTH,
S

You got that right; stop and smell the roses if you are not on a delivery. So many beautiful anchorages and places to explore. Was just reading someone's ICW blog, skipping from dock to dock, town to town, past some very pretty and unique places only reachable by boat. I guess everyone has their preferences and personal style.

Paper charts frequently have a great visual description of the bottom conditions.

Chart #1 has all the explanations.

Great posts, just what we were looking for!

How about some small-town gems that may have eluded the spotlight?

By the way, we have heard of a cruising couple that never had any terrifying experiences. We were told that they simply took no chances with bad weather.

What actions are recommended when the pop-up thunderstorm appears? We have the various radar weather apps which may help.

Thanks Again!

Great posts, just what we were looking for!

How about some small-town gems that may have eluded the spotlight?

By the way, we have heard of a cruising couple that never had any terrifying experiences. We were told that they simply took no chances with bad weather.

What actions are recommended when the pop-up thunderstorm appears? We have the various radar weather apps which may help.

Thanks Again!

I have been cruising part time for over 40 years...NJ to Florida and the Bahamas. Never been terrified....concerned yes...but never terrified because I love fair weather and boat in it if all possible.

Concerned with weather... but almost never more than worried about being uncomfortable, never in danger. Last 2 trips to FL with girlfriend she has been concerned with tornado watches. My theory is underway you have options....tied to a dock you get off the boat and into a safe structure... at anchor you really have none.

I watch internet radar like a hawk when the worst is approaching....usually blinding rain only lasts for a few minutes to 1/2 hr. If I can, I'll just keep motoring if I think I can stay in the channel at minimum steerage speed. If I can't.....I'll look for a structure or bank I can keep station on or if necessary even nose her into a sod bank or steep sand bar...so far it's never been necessary on my trawler but often in my assistance towboat.

Usually, if a severe enough to be a tornado watch...watching the line of returns on a NWS Doppler radar and seeing if and where the most intense sections are headed , then either head away or quickly find the best shelter available is in the plan.

My biggest issue really was last December when ice almost trapped me in a marina in Baltimore...I listened to the dockmaster when my inner voice said move to the outer slips before nightfall.

If it is towns you are interested in visiting, a car is a much better and much more economical means to get there and explore. If you are passing by boat anyway, having made the visit once before by car will allow you to have a better lay of the land to enjoy your nautical visit. I continually note comments about towns from boaters who only scratched the surface; witness the recent thread about some gourmet North Carolina cruising.

It depends on how far off the beaten path, or shall I say the magenta line, you want to venture. A tight budget combined with an aversion to anchoring out and worst of all, a schedule, really limits things.

"It depends on how far off the beaten path, or shall I say the magenta line, you want to venture. "
VERY eloquent. Nicely put?❗

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

. I continually note comments about towns from boaters who only scratched the surface; witness the recent thread about some gourmet North Carolina cruising.

In planning your trips, don't just plan the navigation part of it. Plan the pleasure side. Research that. Blogs, books. We never go to a town that we haven't looked through Trip Advisor for and planned some things. Also most towns have their own websites.

I just pulled up Edenton NC as an example and we haven't yet made it there. Trip Advisor has 10 activities. VisitEdenton.com has 12 activities, 15 recreational activities, 5 places for culture and art. Edenton.com has even more. But if we were stopping there for two days we'd pick around six of those. That means we'd see about 20% of what there was to see. Plus we'd walk and find shops, antiques, local antiquities, meet people, find ice cream. We would leave already thinking of things we'd want to see next time through. Or if we got weathered in, there are many days worth to be enjoyed. If you want a meal out, we found 22 restaurants listed and most reviewed.

To us there is really no such thing as a bad port. They all have something unique. Just walking the town is a joy to us. Yesterday afternoon we just walked the boardwalk in Westport, WA, watched the fishing boats coming in across the bar, talked a fishing charter captain. He's 47, been doing it 36 years, licensed since he was 18. His father did it. His grandfather. We're planning later this summer when we're back there to go out on his boat one day. They've had their boat since the late 90's. We grabbed lunch at a local deli and met people who were there. Many places we go we find incredible parks too.

Bahamas we'll often just pick an uninhabited island we want to explore. Decide to anchor for the day, get in the dinghy, enjoy the beach, circle it. We still have hundreds of islands we want to see. No two are alike.

So don't just plan the water aspect. We plan the land portion. And we have lists of things we'd like to do, never running out because then many we want to do again plus we discover things not on our lists. We get weathered in an extra day or two, no big deal. Just enjoy. I challenge any of you to just pick a town right now that you've never been to, just by. Research it a little. You'll see there is more there than you expected. We've not yet left a town that we said "Well, that's done. No need to ever go back." It's always, "That was nice. If we ever get back there, we'll make sure to...."

There is nothing that says the trip has to be following the line on the ICW. The NC sounds loop that David and B and B wrote about is a great experience while working your way South. Edenton, Manteo, and Ocracoke are great experiences while taking only a little extra travel time. If you want to go up the Pamlico River about 30 miles Bath and "Little" Washington are good. They both have free to reasonably priced dockage right in the village.

Several of the ICW towns are too good to miss. Beaufort NC, Southport, Georgetown, Charleston, Beaufort SC, Savannah, Fernandina Beach, St. Augustine, Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, and Stuart. South of Stuart you are in the megaopolis until the laid back keys.

That is all on the Atlantic ICW. Don't forget the Gulf ICW offers some great cruising.

South of Stuart you are in the megaopolis PARADISE until the laid back keys.

Wifey B: Just a slight correction....hehe. Ok, to some may not be paradise but also just because there are lots of people and boats, don't overlook that there is a lot of beauty too. Search and ye shall find. We live in Fort Lauderdale but still take trips to Miami and West Palm. Just in Fort Lauderdale though a few examples for those not into the big city aspect. First, where else can you cruise such beautiful canals? Well, you could go to Venice. See so many boats? I don't know. But some of the type things easily overlooked. Bonnet House Museum and Gardens. Antique Auto Museum. All the beaches and parks. Walk along Las Olas Boulevard. Riverwalk and the New River. Hugh Taylor State Park (yes, in the middle of the city, 180 acre park), Explore by Water Taxi or Sun Trolley. Sawgrass Recreation Park (go explore in an airboat). Everglades Park and the Gator Boys of Animal Planet. Museum of Art. Naval Air Station Museum. Swimming Hall of Fame. Beautiful Scantily Clad Girls and Hot Muscle Guys (Oh, bad me throwing that one in).

And not trying to sell you on Fort Lauderdale. We have too many people already. lol. But just to express not to overlook the possibilities of any place you pass. One of our best days ever cruising was in a place we previously had no desire to go and then weathered in an extra day. We fell in love with Apalachicola (mentioning Gulf Coast). We found a side of the town most don't realize is there. Most areas are multi-faceted. Just find the facet you like.

Several of the ICW towns are too good to miss. Beaufort NC, Southport, Georgetown, Charleston, Beaufort SC, Savannah, Fernandina Beach, St. Augustine, Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, and Stuart. South of Stuart you are in the megaopolis until the laid back keys.

That is all on the Atlantic ICW. Don't forget the Gulf ICW offers some great cruising.

OK if you are talking towns and docks, and staying strictly on the "line" , let's add Swansboro, McClellanville, Brunswick/St.Simons, St. Mary's (a little off the line), New Smyrna Beach, Old Daytona, Titusville, Cocoa and Melbourne. Each with it's sometimes small but unique charms and at least one really good place to eat plus another unique attraction. And many can be anchored off or have cheap dockage.

Further off "the line", places like New Bern, Darien, Old Bluffton, Jacksonville, Green Cove Springs (and in general the St. Johns River).

I could give you an equally healthy list of anchorages with no town attached, many of which we always spent a few extra days in.

The point is, no matter your style, the journey can, and in my opinion should be, the destination.

The point is, no matter your style, the journey can, and in my opinion should be, the destination.

But you can have both. Wonderful journeys and wonderful places. Enjoy the water and cruising, enjoy just being out on it, but also make the most of the places you land along the way too. Example. We rode horses along the beach in Port St. Joe. What fun. But we would never drive from Fort Lauderdale there to go horseback riding, or for anything else there really. That's 8 1/2 hours in a car. No thanks. Now of course it was days in a boat. Many days, well actually a couple or three weeks, by water to get there. But we were on the water just to enjoy it. However, as long as there, what a wonderful day we had. The point about boating to us is that wherever the water takes us we'll enjoy. But being taken there by water is the essential and most important part to us. Oh and we went kite flying on the beach in Panama City. Guess we could do that at home.

Guess I think of the things we do in the places we end up as the icing on the cake. The cake (cruising on the water) is delicious and what we are doing it for, but the icing is nice. However, icing without cake, no thanks.

ICW Tips

Don't travel on weekends when the nuts and idiots are on the water with their latest toy.

HTH,
S
There are many parts of the AICW where "nuts and idiots" do not normally operate. I wouldn't stay in port or at an anchorage just because other boaters may be on the water.

Wifey B: Just a slight correction....hehe. Ok, to some may not be paradise but also just because there are lots of people and boats, don't overlook that there is a lot of beauty too. Search and ye shall find. We live in Fort Lauderdale but still take trips to Miami and West Palm. Just in Fort Lauderdale though a few examples for those not into the big city aspect. First, where else can you cruise such beautiful canals? Well, you could go to Venice. See so many boats? I don't know. But some of the type things easily overlooked. Bonnet House Museum and Gardens. Antique Auto Museum. All the beaches and parks. Walk along Las Olas Boulevard. Riverwalk and the New River. Hugh Taylor State Park (yes, in the middle of the city, 180 acre park), Explore by Water Taxi or Sun Trolley. Sawgrass Recreation Park (go explore in an airboat). Everglades Park and the Gator Boys of Animal Planet. Museum of Art. Naval Air Station Museum. Swimming Hall of Fame. Beautiful Scantily Clad Girls and Hot Muscle Guys (Oh, bad me throwing that one in).

And not trying to sell you on Fort Lauderdale. We have too many people already. lol. But just to express not to overlook the possibilities of any place you pass. One of our best days ever cruising was in a place we previously had no desire to go and then weathered in an extra day. We fell in love with Apalachicola (mentioning Gulf Coast). We found a side of the town most don't realize is there. Most areas are multi-faceted. Just find the facet you like.

While not everyone's cup of tea, I like Ft. Lauderdale. Stayed about a week last year split between a mooring and slip at Los Olas Docks (it got hot and needed A/C). The dinghy is great for cruising the canals (low bridges are no problem), and going up the New River. Bus service is good, the beach is beautiful, exotic cars everywhere, and the people watching . . . . .it is a fun place with good restaurants.

I am still thinking of going down to spend about a week on Biscayne Bay. I think of Biscayne Bay as the upper Keys.

Ft Lauderdale is ground zero for yachting. Any piece,part or service can be found for pleasure boats there. A great place to wander.

While not everyone's cup of tea, I like Ft. Lauderdale. Stayed about a week last year split between a mooring and slip at Los Olas Docks (it got hot and needed A/C). The dinghy is great for cruising the canals (low bridges are no problem), and going up the New River. Bus service is good, the beach is beautiful, exotic cars everywhere, and the people watching . . . . .it is a fun place with good restaurants.

I am still thinking of going down to spend about a week on Biscayne Bay. I think of Biscayne Bay as the upper Keys.

And take the dinghy up Miami River. Yes, in Fort Lauderdale you can go up New River, go to the Dania cut off, see so much by dinghy. We've been told we use ours more than anyone. But so many places it's so nice to just get out and enjoy. The Savannah River is one we took way up, we circled islands, saw the National Parks. We've even thought of taking them up the Dismal Swamp.

Paper charts frequently have a great visual description of the bottom conditions.

Chart #1 has all the explanations.

Ditto raster charts.

-Chris

You have recieved plenty of good information, I might add do not rule out heading out an inlet and cruising out in the ocean, I find it a nice break, especially in dense locations like Florida.

Once you have done the inside once, outside becomes very appealing in good weather. But I think everyone should do the inside at least once to see the sights and decide for themselves what is worth skipping.

Love FLL. We always made a point of spending some time at one of the marinas on the west side of I-95. Unique in all the world. Met Capt. Bill1 there, at the greatness of the Yachthaven. And as previously inferred it is the best place anywhere to do do work and and add goodies to your boat, especially DIY. Just learn where Lester's Diner is, ideally by eating there regularly, because when you ask some obscure vendor to give you directions, that is where they will start. Next, learn all the nicknames for various points on the New River.

Back
Top Bottom