• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: 46' Pilothouse Trawler 1.5 gph @7.5 kts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richterpooh

Vessel Name
Winnie the Pooh
Vessel Make
Morgan designed 46' Trawler
Winnie the Pooh is an efficiency trawler a sailor can love. Great Live aboard; perfect for ICW, Bahamas or the Great Loop. Simple, roomy, comfortable, unique, unsinkable, economical. Charley Morgan designed Heritage West Indies 46, built 1978 in Clearwater, FL. Completely rebuilt from the keel up in 1997 in Indiantown, FL. 80hp John Deere, cruises 7.5 kts @1.5 gph. Workshop fwd, A/C queen stateroom aft, propane cooking and heat. Comfy, roomy pilothouse. Dims 46’ x 15’ x 4.6’ draft. Displacement 36,000 lbs. Asking $84,900. Freshwater kept, docked in Ortona, one hour east of Ft. Myers. Call Mark 863-517-1152, more pix at www.trawlerpooh.blogspot.com

Pilothouse - 6’8” headroom fully enclosed with a large chart table and comfortable leather seats for helmsman and navigator. 8’ Settee seats four across or great for naps. Cocktail table centrally located can be reached by all. Equipped with Navico autopilot, backup autopilot, JRC 2000 radar, Garmin fishfinder, Standard Horizon depth sounder, Garmin 126 GPS, Standard Horizon VHF, Icom handheld VHF.
Workshop forward with workbench and vise. Teak trimmed cabinets provide lots of storage for tools and parts. ABI deck prism for great lighting. 6” blower exhausts interior air through rope locker. The workshop was originally a large V-berth, and could be made so again if desired.
Head - Large, deep stainless sink. Bronze WC Skipper manual head for no headaches. 40 gal holding tank w pumpout via deck fitting or electric pump. Stainless Nicro solar vent. Roomy shower room in aft cabin with 6’3” headroom for easy and comfortable sit down or stand up showers.
Roomy saloon trimmed in cherry and teak. Romantic brass trawler lamp adds light and heat on cool evenings. Dinette seats 6 for dinner. Long settee opposite. Sylvania 15” flat screen TV/DVD combo concealed in cabinet. Pioneer stereo w speakers in saloon and pilothouse. (2) Caframo fans, (3) Hatches are cast aluminum Bomar. Lewmar aluminum ports new 1997. Force 10 propane heater.
Galley - Lots of counter and storage space, cherry and teak. Force 10 propane range, 3-burner with oven and broiler. Microwave oven. Extremely efficient top-loading refrigerator/freezer w 4” foam insulation. Large, deep stainless sink. Well lighted, airy galley with direct communication to dining room and pilothouse, so the cook feels a part of the party. (3) 70 gal aluminum water tanks (200 gal total) feed a Flojet pressure pump and filter system.
Master cabin aft with queen bed, lots of hanging locker space, drawers and doors galore. 5000 BTU a/c can run from batteries; no generator noise. Caframo fan over bed.
Anchor equipment - 72 lb Supermax anchor on bow roller w 160’ of 5/16” HT chain and 150’ 5/8” nylon three-strand rode. Lofrans Tigres 1500 watt windlass, rated 2300 lbs, new 2004. #37 Fortress aluminum anchor mounted on bow roller w chain and 200‘ 5/8“ nylon double braid. Bow eye for snubber attachment near waterline. Fortress Guardian #55 storm anchor. Rope locker vented w 6” blower, exhausts from boat interior. Seabrake drogue for heavy weather safety.
Driveline - John Deere 4039DFM diesel, 80hp @ 2500rpm. Velvet Drive 5000 transmission ratio 2.8 ratio swings a 26x19 3-blade prop for greater efficiency. 1.75” shaft with Aquadrive coupler to reduce vibration and noise, never needs aligning. Prop Protector line cutter for safety among the crab pots. Spare prop. (3) Racor 900 series fuel filters let you change filters while underway. 320 gal diesel in (2) aluminum fuel tanks w electric transfer pump, provides 1800 NM range.
Electrical - Unique system has 8 golf cart batteries, 880 AH of 12v capacity to anchor out 4 days before needing to charge. Twin 120 amp alternators on the Deere for rapid recharge underway or at anchor. Freedom 10 inverter/charger runs microwave or air conditioner. Link 1000 battery monitor tells when charging is needed. 75w solar panel on the PH roof produces enough amps to run the refrigerator. Many interior lights are LED for low amp draw. LED night-lights throughout boat for safety and convenience at 0.3 amp draw. 5000 BTU air conditioner in aft cabin can be run from the batteries; no genset needed. Isotemp water heater runs on shore power or engine heat.
Deck - 22’ aluminum mast hinged to be lowered single-handed in 30 minutes for low bridges when navigating canals. 100 sq ft steadying sail and 200 sq ft jib for emergency get-home power (sails 3.5 kts in 15 kts wind). 2” diameter stainless dinghy davits hold the 9’ Boston Whaler with 9.9 Mercury OB. Built-in fiberglass swim platform reached by 4-step stainless boarding ladder.
+++++
Here's the story about "Winnie the Pooh", and how we came to design and build him the way we did. WTP is a custom 46' trawler who started life as a Heritage West Indies 46 Ketch, a Charlie Morgan designed cruising sailboat with a broad 15' beam and lots of interior room.
We bought the boat in Ft Lauderdale, motored it to Indiantown, FL where we lived on 2.5 acres, and had the boat trucked to our house. After 4 years of work, $50k in parts and supplies and about 9000 man-hours of labor, we launched Pooh in 1997, a brand new trawler with a 20 year old hull. All the wiring and plumbing is new. New engine, transmission, prop, shaft, rudder, seacocks, fuel tanks, pilothouse, ports, galley, range, refrigerator, furniture, cushions, electronics, etc. About the only things not new are the hull, deck and water tanks.
***"Why did you do such a crazy thing?" you ask? Good question. I asked myself the same thing many times during the construction process. But now, having lived aboard for 10 years, we are proud of our boat and very pleased with our decision to rebuild. Though it didn't enter into our reasoning at the time, it's nice to have a unique boat that gets attention wherever we go. And, of course, in rebuilding a boat from the ground up, we had the opportunity to add custom touches like a large workshop in the forepeak, a sewing room conversion of the aft berth, an integrated swim platform and full foam flotation for safety.
Mastless sailboats tend to have a quick, snappy roll in a beam sea; safe but not comfortable. To correct this problem, about one-third of the ballast in the keel needed to be removed, leaving 7000 lbs of exterior lead ballast keel (Krogen 42‘s carry about 3000 lbs). We cut the keel on Pooh from a draft of 6’6” down to 4’8” at full load, a reasonable draft for Florida and Bahamas cruising.
Fuel tankage addition is not difficult or expensive if the room is available. I designed the new tanks so they fit through the companionway. We added a pair of 160 gallon aluminum tanks port and starboard amidships to minimize trim change with changing fuel load. Pooh now holds 320 gal for a still water range of 1800 nm at 7.5 kts at 1700 rpm, burning 1.5 gph, a figure many trawler owners find hard to believe.
For motion control there are bilge keels 8’ long, just aft of amidships to dampen rolling under way. Pooh's folding 22' mast, stepped on top of the pilothouse, is beefy enough to support paravane poles if one wants to add them, but easy to fold flat to get under low bridges (think Erie canal) Meanwhile, we can fly 100 sq ft of steadying sail and carry an additional 200 sq ft jib for emergency get-home power. We have tried the pair of sails, making 3.5 kts in 15 kts true wind on a broad reach. Won’t win many races, but it will get you home. Asking $84,900.
==
Mark Richter, Mechanical Engineer, aboard Winnie the Pooh, custom Morgan 46 Trawler. Lying Ortona, FL - 50 miles east of Ft. Myers
"Mark's Mobile Marine" electrical system design, installation and repair
863-517-1152

Newbie tryint to post photos

Sorry, my photos didn't post in the ad above. Trying again.

Attachments

• poohhigh view.JPG
    poohhigh view.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 584
  • FL08 Pooh on hard 1.jpg
    FL08 Pooh on hard 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 524
  • bed lighted.JPG
    bed lighted.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 501
  • ER front.JPG
    ER front.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 497
FWIW, I went to look at this boat last week, and if someone wants an inexpensive, efficient, well thought out boat for serious extended cruising this might be the one.

The boat is absolutely spotless inside and out, and it seems well put together IMO. The non turbo JD engine had good access for maintenance, and the pilothouse area was huge.

My DW requires more windows in the living areas so that kicked it for us. I thought the large pilothouse windows would suffice but was told no.

Our lobster style boat is similar , the PH is well lit and is where we spend most of the time.

Below is in the hull is the galley and the rest , with reasonable ports its fine to use .

The advantage of a low A /B ratio mean the boat is offshore capable.

I would recommend Marks boat for someone with a modest budget that wants to go offshore as well as ditch crawling. And not spend a few years on , repairs , replacement and outfitting .

A 32 -40 fit TT rebuilt will cost more and probably never be able to be rebuilt structurally sound enough to do an ocean passage.Many would be dangerous just to be caught out in.

Sure paying for a slip for a 46 ft boat with modest accommodations is more costly that a short 3 story roomaran , but cruising the difference would all be for the longer more efficient boat.

As a cruiser for someone READY to go the boat makes great sense, as a dockside cottage it might not.

DISCLAIMER , I am a neighbor of Marks , but my bias is to cruising , not house boating, however much fun ,as it is a different hobby.

IF you are READY , the boat is READY , and at a bargain price.

Last edited:
Mark you have a very very nice boat and seems to be priced about right.

"1.5 gph is hard to believe at 7.5 knots." I thought you must be just considering the fuel going in the tank and what the hour meter says. This practice is misleading and inaccurate but the more I look at Pooh the more the 1.5 gph seems possible.

When I compare my Willard at one GPH to your boat several things come to mind.
1. Double the power.
2. Double the displacement.
3. About the same speed/length ratio.
4. Pooh has lower wetted surface and a lower PC.
#4 is the only element that says you would burn less than 2gph. The difference must be in the hull as the Willard isn't a very efficient hull for a FD powerboat. Perhaps comparing the Willard 40' would be closer to apples and apples.

I gave lots of thought to buying a sailboat and converting to power. New deck w a cabin something like a Nordic Tug 32 but w the wheelhouse a bit further aft. It would take a lot of looking to find the right sailboat to convert. Low draft and high PC (fuller at the ends) and of course a very low price. Bought my 30' Willard before that happened. Willy has a quicker roll than you probably think.

Wonderful boat Mark and a very nice conversion.

Last edited:
Fuel economy foremost

Eric,
Thanks for your comments. As my original goal with Pooh was to cross the Atlantic and cruise the French canals, fuel economy was of crucial importance. I chose the 80hp naturally aspirated John Deere as less overpowered than most US trawlers. To lengthen the waterline, I built the 3' long swim platform integral with the hull lines, increasing the underway LWL to 42ft. Hull surgery in the prop area was necessary to enable swinging Pooh's 26" prop in place of the boat's original 20". The Velvet-Drive tranny is the 2.8 ratio, vs the boat's original 2.0 ratio. Even the original mushroom shape thru-hulls were replaced with new bronze flush-mount thru-hulls.

Pooh's hour-meter fuel consumption is usually 1.1 gph. At our usual cruise speed of 7.5 kts burning 1.5 gph, that allows for a good bit of slow speed maneuvering and waiting for drawbridges. I've not met up with any trawlers in Pooh's size range that can match fuel economy.

Mark Richter
via iPhone from Italy

:dance:"Workshop" is obvious for me. Man has Gotta have a place to wait for dinner!
Great looking ship with lots of cruising value. Great ideas should be shared as you have shared with all of us. Thanks. And let me boast just a little Eric, My Mainship also does about 1.5 GPH...... At anchor speed ...on the Jenny.

Mark of all the converted sailboats I've seen this one is definitely the most appealing to the eye. With all the folks claiming to want a cruising boat it's difficult to understand why boats like yours and Ralph Yost's DeFever have taken so long to sell. Both are the most "ready to go" boats I've seen listed. FF doesn't exactly throw endorsements around unless they are earned. Good luck with your sale.

Mark I don't know about crossing the Atlantic but cruising Alaska in Pooh would be wonderful. Actually if I had more money I'd prolly go buy Pooh.

HP per ton wise Pooh is about the same as my Willy. How does Pooh compare to the Nordhavn 46? Probably very favorably I'd say. For now I think I'm stuck w smaller boats because of moorage costs.

How do you find the performance of the Super Max anchor? What bottom types do you usually encounter? It's an interesting anchor as it dosn't have a pointed fluke ... kinda like an anchor of mine. Mine has a chisel like fluke tip about 4" across and works very well on the PNW coast. There's probably very few anchorages that aren't mud. One would think a pointed fluke a must but perhaps not.

Good luck on your sale to some lucky person.

... I chose the 80hp naturally aspirated John Deere as less overpowered than most US trawlers. ...

Isn't it a great engine? It's a nice match for my 14-ton vessel.

img_245600_0_d3e0a68ae6ca4deb4277e9ca6ad3e627.jpg

I've been aboard Pooh and can attest that it's very well thought out and a super clean boat.

Pooh's hour-meter fuel consumption is usually 1.1 gph. At our usual cruise speed of 7.5 kts burning 1.5 gph, that allows for a good bit of slow speed maneuvering and waiting for drawbridges. I've not met up with any trawlers in Pooh's size range that can match fuel economy.

Mark Richter
via iPhone from Italy

Very interesting. Based on what it cost you to do all those modifications to get better fuel economy how many hours do you/did you have to put on the boat before the modifications start paying off?

Capt.Bill,
I'm sure better fuel burn is only one of the many advantages to his conversion.

Seaworthyness comes to mind. Say you're in mid-Atlantic in a blow w 20' seas or worse. What boat would you rather be in ... a typical trawler or Pooh?

Or would you like days or weeks of the snappy roll of most trawlers at sea? There are more important reasons than fuel consumption why most people cross oceans in sailboats. I don't even like sailboats and to some extent wonder why they still exist but a big sailboat is what I'd want far out to sea.

Capt.Bill,
I'm sure better fuel burn is only one of the many advantages to his conversion.

Seaworthyness comes to mind. Say you're in mid-Atlantic in a blow w 20' seas or worse. What boat would you rather be in ... a typical trawler or Pooh?

Or would you like days or weeks of the snappy roll of most trawlers at sea? There are more important reasons than fuel consumption why most people cross oceans in sailboats. I don't even like sailboats and to some extent wonder why they still exist but a big sailboat is what I'd want far out to sea.

Now that it's been highly modified...plus I would have to study the potential for down flooding which is my main concern for the run of the mill trawler....would be what I would answer if someone asked me which I'd rater be in mid ocean.

Workshops and fuel economy measures

Every boat needs a workshop. On some boats, it's little more than a toolbox and an old scrap of plywood for a workbench. On Pooh, something a bit more elaborate was called for, since I make my living working on boats along the way. Since 1997, boat work has been my sole support. My specialty is electrical work, and I carry an extensive inventory of wire and cable to #4/0, fuses and fuse holders, circuit breakers, terminals, connectors, alternators, battery switches, etc. I also work on diesels, fuel systems, propane systems, rigging, davits, and sometimes fiberglass fabrications like pilothouses and hard dodgers. These bigger projects are easier now that I have a house with a dock, shop, and a large covered work area.

As for the fuel economy measures, they are paid for the first time you complete a crossing with fuel left in the tanks. The boat needed a swim platform. I'm handier with fiberglass than with teak, so why not extend the waterline while we're at it. For coastal cruising, I might have forgone the flush-mount thru-hulls, though at 19 years old I felt they should be replaced anyway for safety. Flush-mounts cost the same but require a bit more labor to install. On this project my ex-wife and I expended nearly 9000 man hours, so what's a few more hours for flush thru-hulls?

Thanks to everyone for your interest and comments.
Mark Richter
Ortona, FL on the Okeechobee Waterway

Just saw that this boat is SOLD!

Yes, Pooh has been sold

Winnie passed survey with flying colors Friday, and we closed on Saturday. The buyers just bought the house two docks down the canal a month ago here in Turkey Creek, so I'll be allowed occasional visiting privileges.

Mark Richter

They got a nice one .

Congrats Mark! Someone got a great boat.

Thank goodness it is sold! Now I can quit agonizing over whether or not I should call Mark and make him an offer on it! Not something I need, but the siren call was kind of irresistible at times. A great cruising boat.

Congratulations on the sale Mark!

John I feel your pain on that one. Ten years from now the wife and I would have been sitting in the cabin of that boat talking turkey with Mark and starting out our cruising life in Florida rather than California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom