Waste Overboard Port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We use plenty of wales chemical which dyes the waste a deep dark blue and keeps odors down.

Be sure never to discharge into a home style waste system with septic tank and waste field.

The >no stink< chemicals will kill whats in the septic tank , which then destroyes the leach field, requiring its replacement.

I would never recomend a deoderrizing chemical. Something Enzyme based is better because your waste tank odors are almost -0-. Use a natural enhancer like OdorL0S treatment instead this assumes your holding tank is well vented.
Bill

Last edited:
We use plenty of wales chemical which dyes the waste a deep dark blue and keeps odors down.

Be sure never to discharge into a home style waste system with septic tank and waste field.

The >no stink< chemicals will kill whats in the septic tank , which then destroyes the leach field, requiring its replacement.

sorry damn autocorrect i meant to Say Walex chemical which is biodegradable environmentally friendly and septic safe it is the same stuff that all the portable toilet companies use. its great stuff. I have been through the plant and have used there products in many applications no I'm not paid by them just like there products

I have been through the plant and have used there products in many applications no I'm not paid by them just like there products

Try looking up the old poisonous chemical, and then google the new stuff , many times its just a different name for the same basic chemical package.

Green BS sells , so the RV industry has renamed and repackaged most no stink for waste systems.

A better vented holding tank, (on a large vessel air may need to be pumped ), will usually make the aromas leave.

WE have used chlorine pellets (swimming pool supply) to temp solve a problem on deliveries..

The chlorine evaporates and wont destroy septic fields.

We have both grey water and black water discharge under the waterline, both with siphon breaks above waterline.

Last edited:
Our black water discharge is below the waterline. Grey water just at the waterline at the boot stripe.

I would never recomend a deoderrizing chemical. Something Enzyme based is better because your waste tank odors are almost -0-. Use a natural enhancer like OdorL0S treatment instead this assumes your holding tank is well vented.
Bill

That's what I use and don't have an odor problem. Of course if you go this route you can't mix chemicals or bleach with the natural product, that will stop it from working. You have to go one way or the other.

As with any product, read and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

our macerator pumps through a through hull mounted 1-2 inches above the waterline. We use plenty of wales chemical which dyes the waste a deep dark blue and keeps odors down.
What's the point in coloring poop deep blue? It's still poop.

Greetings,
Ty-D-Bol??????
dcknp.gif

Remember the Ty-D-Bol man in his tiny boat?
Maybe we're all just floating in some giant cosmic toilet?

Naw, that's stupid. We'd have been flushed by now.

Now that Ron has brought it up, maybe there is a market for poop dye?
You guys with above the waterline poop discharges could make things much more interesting with different colors of poop. Red and Green for Christmas, Red, White and Blue for July 4th, Pink for Easter, Green for Earth Day.

Send me a thousand dollars and I'll send you a share of stock in my poop dye business.

There's no business like the poop dye business since everyone has to do their business.

In Avalon (CA) the harbor master flusher a dye pellet in each of your heads upon arrival. They can effectively mark almost 100% of boats, since you can't get a mooring without checking in. The irony is that water quality looked great but still has a very high bacteria content. They finally figured out that the city's sewer system was leaching into the harbor. That may have been fixed in the last few years.

My Bride was a world class knitter (9) books and now is a weaver.

She has been dieing yard for decades , but when washing an item for the first time always uses a loose die absorbing sheet.

Works ,, It catches the loose die and her new fabric doesnt.

Sounds like a product that could be dumped before hand into a holding tank that eats BLUE DIE would be a big seller.

Any chemists on the board???

"Does poop dye show up at night?"
Poop Dye Inc. will produce a dye that becomes clear thirty seconds after you flush.
Don't tell the Poop Police.

It's hard to imagine someone walking around a marina all night looking for "poop dye".

Allowing someone to board your boat and put chemicals in your head(s) seems pretty intrusive to me. It's the government out of control.

But officer, that's not Poop Dye, that's bioluminescent plankton.

I've got a couple of jars of industrial dye tablets used for leak testing and tracing. Magenta and vivid yellow.

With those and a slingshot, I could keep the poop police busy for weeks.

One time, when the Avalon Harbor Patrol had come on board to flush the dye down our heads, a drill we have been through a bunch of times, we got to talking and he told a funny story.

It seems that he went aboard a boat whose owner was completely unfamiliar with even the concept of the dye, so the officer explained that they need a mechanism to discourage people from contaminating the harbor waters and that they dye is very obvious if it gets in the harbor. The boater didn't seem to understand that the procedure was to flush a dye tablet down the heads, so the officer decided to have some fun. He explained to the boat owner and his family that they must each swallow a pill -- that was their poo and pee would be marked and if any ended up in the bay everyone would know instantly. Before the officer could stop the owner, who had been inspecting a pellet, the owner swallowed the pellet. Apparently, no harm done.

Traveler, I don't know if that's a true story or not but it doesn't matter. It's a great story.

A Fairy tale begins ,,,,,,Once Upon a Time

A Sea Story begins ,,, Now This is No Sh.......!

Back
Top Bottom