Thread: Too much roll
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Many of the fish stabilizers are trial and error. They are common on many of the older commercial trawlers, which you can basically copy. The most difficult is making sure the mast, poles and chain plates are strong/secure enough and how and where to fasten. I figure to install is 3 to 5 grand if you are starting with out a strong enough mast. If you are really interested send me your email address and I well email you some information.

How full you keep the tanks can effect the stability. I figure diesel/gas/water weighs an average of 7 lbs/gallon. The Eagle feels and ride different with the tanks full or empty. 1000+ of diesel and 400 gallons of water is 9,800 lbs down below or at the water line. so you might want to what see effect the tanks make. At least you should get some idea feel if the center of gravity needs to be lower or higher. But roll period should tell you a lot.

I count para vanes as active as you have to physical active/deploy them. Also they do not change the stability of the boat, but make the ride better/easier. Where as passive they do not to be activated deployed and they tend to change the stability of the boat. But that is another discussion.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote