Show us your stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having great visibility from bridge and helm in center (I almost always pilot from bridge)... with twin screws... docking on either side of boat is EZ.
:thumb:

Art, if you had a Rocna life would be perfect.:D

Art, if you had a Rocna life would be perfect.:D

Don - Life IS Perfect! Well... pretty much anyway - LOL... And, as I can tell you know just about better than anyone, boating sure helps make it that way!! :thumb:

The bottom of "Rhino"....

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 138
Yes, I'm aware of that, but while this explains all those choices which you mentioned, I'm skeptic that many buyers are asking for a specific prop rotation - that's why I was wondering if the yard has any preference (if not really a "standard"), and why.
Btw, in these days of very powerful hydraulic bow and stern thrusters, I don't think the prop walk is a big consideration....
...though I didn't actually see a thruster on your stern, is it still to be fitted maybe?

I see you were asking a different question. I expect all these props are made to order and that builders just order what they need. Building alternate boats with opposite rotation sounds like a wives tail to me, but I really don't know.

Yes, there is a stern thruster. It's integral to the hull with an arched tube. Is one of the earlier pictures you can see the whole in the bottom of the boat, and someone commented on it.

Dimmer 2,
That's a nice soft chine and it looks like you've got a lot of blade area w the prop. Must have a lot of power and speed. Can you dazzle us w numbers?

Or pics at speed?

Dimmer 2,
That's a nice soft chine and it looks like you've got a lot of blade area w the prop. Must have a lot of power and speed. Can you dazzle us w numbers?

Or pics at speed?

I think you may be disappointed Eric. While she has 285 HP, she cruises best at 8.5 - 9 kts (1450 rpm) burning 4 gph. More rpm makes very little difference in speed but lots of difference in fuel burn, even though she is technically SD. The picture is at cruise speed.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 128
Yes, there is a stern thruster. It's integral to the hull with an arched tube. Is one of the earlier pictures you can see the whole in the bottom of the boat, and someone commented on it.
Ops, yeah, now I see the hole on port side, in the last pic you posted.
Is it as effective as traditional external stern thrusters?
Also, it looks pretty close to the rudder shaft, doesn't that affect accessibility for maintenance?
Sorry for being yet again o/t, but I couldn't find a more specific thread on your new small ship... :)
Is there one somewhere, which I'm missing?

dimmer2,
Rihno has the kind of profile I really like. long and low. But not narrow. My favorite kind of FB. A built down LB she looks like. Looks like she's rather heavy too and not making much of a fuss sliding along. With all that beam and low profile you must feel very secure in rough seas. The rudder looks large and is close to the hull so should be very effective. How long and wide is she?

Eric, she is 46 ft at the WL with a 15 1/2 ft beam, weighing in at 34,000 lbs, drafts 3 1/2. She steers well but gets to rolling pretty good if you let her. Overall, very happy with her.

Badger's stern, yet Humpback friendly arse end in Douglas Channel on BC's north coast;

Attachments

• Badger & Humpback Flukes.jpg
    Badger & Humpback Flukes.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 128
Her best side. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0950.jpg
    IMAG0950.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 168
stern

That pot should be in the water!

Attachments

• 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 153
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 163
Ops, yeah, now I see the hole on port side, in the last pic you posted.
Is it as effective as traditional external stern thrusters?
Also, it looks pretty close to the rudder shaft, doesn't that affect accessibility for maintenance?
Sorry for being yet again o/t, but I couldn't find a more specific thread on your new small ship... :)
Is there one somewhere, which I'm missing?

More on the boat build is here http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s18/building-nordhavn-12972.html and here MVTanglewood.com

I suspect the integral stern thruster is pretty much the same as a bolt on. The thrust direction isn't quite horizontal so there is some inefficiency there, but it's pretty darn close. Offsetting that is probably less drag from an external unit. How it all shakes out I'm not sure, but I suspect it's in the splitting-hairs category of issues.

Maintenance access isn't a problem. You can reach the blades up through the tunnel, and the inside gear (hydraulic motor and control value) are reasonably accessible too. It will take some gymnastics, but modest for a boat. I spent a lot of time laying out the gear in the laz to ensure optimum access since I'm the bilge rat who gets to climb in and do all the work. Most of the other boats I've been on have anywhere from a few devices to many devices that would be a bear to access and service, let along perform a significant repair. Some will tell, but so far I'm very pleased with how it all worked out.

I wonder if that integral stern thruster tunnel will capture air while running in rough conditions, and hold it once dockside. Maybe thruster will eject the air and be fine, maybe prop will just splash around in the air void. Might need to rig up a vent. Won't know until you go through shakedown.

I wonder if that integral stern thruster tunnel will capture air while running in rough conditions, and hold it once dockside. Maybe thruster will eject the air and be fine, maybe prop will just splash around in the air void. Might need to rig up a vent. Won't know until you go through shakedown.

There is a vent already built in. My understanding is that once initially bled, it tends to be fine, but I'm sure there are situations that will render it air locked again. For example, a diver working down there to change zincs or work on prop or clean the bottom will be blowing bubbles all over the place, and I could see them finding their way into the tube. Or, as you point out, appropriately heavy seas.

Very interesting reading, thanks for the link.

Re.the possibility of air getting trapped in the tunnel, just a thought:
By steering hard over and blasting the main prop forward, the water pressure on one side of the tunnel (port/stbd side, depending on whether steered to port/stbd respectively) should increase significantly, and I'd expect that to be more than enough to bleed any air trapped inside.
Of course, it's hard to tell for sure how effective such trick can be.
But it might be worth a try, because if it works, upon arrival after cruising it would be sufficient to routinely give a short blast forward while steered hard over, just in case, before maneuvering.
As I said, just a thought... :)

Very interesting reading, thanks for the link.

Re.the possibility of air getting trapped in the tunnel, just a thought:
By steering hard over and blasting the main prop forward, the water pressure on one side of the tunnel (port/stbd side, depending on whether steered to port/stbd respectively) should increase significantly, and I'd expect that to be more than enough to bleed any air trapped inside.
Of course, it's hard to tell for sure how effective such trick can be.
But it might be worth a try, because if it works, upon arrival after cruising it would be sufficient to routinely give a short blast forward while steered hard over, just in case, before maneuvering.
As I said, just a thought... :)

It might, but just opening the vent valve seems pretty easy to me.

It might, but just opening the vent valve seems pretty easy to me.
LOL, yeah, I guess so.
Otoh, you said that it's supposed to be unnecessary once initially bled, so I figured that the valve had to be handled somewhere near the thruster.
Of course, if you can open it from the helm, that's definitely easier! :)

LOL, yeah, I guess so.
Otoh, you said that it's supposed to be unnecessary once initially bled, so I figured that the valve had to be handled somewhere near the thruster.
Of course, if you can open it from the helm, that's definitely easier! :)

The valve is down in the Laz, so perhaps bat-turns will prove to be easier. I'll just have to see how it works in practice and will try to remember to report back on it.

REAL MOUNTIE 1986 Pilgrim 40 Fantail Stern

Pictures taken in July 2016 while anchored in front of Fort Ticonderoga Lake Champlain NY on our Erie Canal exploration.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_9985.jpg
    IMG_9985.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 199
Here's Red Head's stern and another picture showing one of the sterns fold down features...

Attachments

• dsc01204_4581132739_o.jpg
    dsc01204_4581132739_o.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 180
  • swim platform.jpg
    swim platform.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 189
BD,
Beautiful.
I've been on that ramp and lift.

Attachments

• STH71233 copy.jpg
    STH71233 copy.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 185
In the slings

Attachments

• IMG_2368.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 168
On the pond and In the slings....

Willard 36 Motorsailer on top, just like all 36 Willards underneath.

1963 Willard 36MS. Hull 23

Attachments

• IMG_3437.jpg
    IMG_3437.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20160208_135355.jpg
    IMG_20160208_135355.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 172
Is that the five blade Michigan Star wheel?
I've got one but my engine was too small to turn it. 2000rpm WOT.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 398 copy 4.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 398 copy 4.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom