Tank Monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
Anyone have advice one a good water tank monitor. I installed a BlueSeas VSM a year ago and the tank monitoring has never worked. The readings are all over the map. I've tried everything BlueSeas has suggested with no luck. I'm now thinking of going with a Hart Tank Tender. There is only about six inch clearance above my tanks so I limited on my choices of products.

:thumb::thumb: Tank Tender by Hart Systems. We installed ours 7 years ago with zero issues. Calibration was a 5 gallon bucket.

I have the same issue. One minute it reads full, which I know it's not. Than in a few moments it reads about where I think it should be and everywhere in between.

Tank Tender - they are great. Multiple tanks from the one unit. Easy to just turn the knob and check all tanks from the one spot. I use it for 6 fuel tanks, 2 water tanks and a black water tank, and have one spare position that is unused.

With tanks that taper to follow the hull the trick is to calibrate it by starting with an empty tank, add a known amount of fuel or water and read the tank tender gauge. You can plot a graph for the tanks or just have a table of inches/mm = x gal/litres.

Arcticspud, did you ever get your VSM working correctly? I hate to just give up on something I've spent so much time and money on. But, it looks like the Tank Tender is the way for me to go.

Not yet. It seems to average the quantity which is what it is not supposed to do. I am going to drain the tank and recalibrate the system to see if that works.

And the rest of the story. The PO also owned Blue Sea. He redid the entire boat with Blue Sea. I spent last year doing several other boat projects and lived with a water quantity. She has 113 gallon water tank so it held up pretty well for us.

I looked at the quantity indicator about a month ago and discovered it wasn't hooked up to power or the main monitor panel. It works but in my haste, because of a boat trip, I didn't calibrate it correctly. It was showing about 20% full when the tank was empty. So the error maybe self induced.

What is the computer saying...GIGO. garbage in, garbage out.

Tank Tender - they are great. Multiple tanks from the one unit. Easy to just turn the knob and check all tanks from the one spot. I use it for 6 fuel tanks, 2 water tanks and a black water tank, and have one spare position that is unused.

With tanks that taper to follow the hull the trick is to calibrate it by starting with an empty tank, add a known amount of fuel or water and read the tank tender gauge. You can plot a graph for the tanks or just have a table of inches/mm = x gal/litres.

Coot's tank tender monitors four fuel tanks and two water tanks.

img_237242_0_c555b6f3ef29d08a7d22ffca032e9cab.jpg

Not if you have a leak in your tank, or anywhere before the sender.

Good point. In my case I left the old, semi-accurate on-tank gauge on. I also took good care of my plumbing and inspected my boat on a regular basis and maintain it to a high standard. Another thing is, if I were to run out of water unexpectedly, before the Watercounter indicated I should, I would know there was a leak, rather than guessing.

The biggest nicety, IMO, about the WaterCounter is its measurement of usage; thus we learned how much various lengths of shower took, or different cycles on the laundry and dishwasher, even toilet flushes after conducting a test (since one flush is not enough to trigger the pressure switch). Like having FloScans for your water. Since we lived full time on moorings for several months a year, and prefer to anchor out when cruising, it became a very valuable tool. For weekend warriors or dock-to-dock cruisers, probably less of a tool and more of a "nice to have".

The boat has a "tank tender" up near the helm where you can switch between the two fuel tanks and water. Water had obviously not been calibrated or set up right, fuel read a little lower than actual, which was ok with me (on-tank gauges were very accurate). A multi purpose tank tender in one location is convenient, but without easy to access on-tank gauges becomes a single point of failure. And obviously, with irregular shaped tanks needs a whole calibration and cross reference process.

You mat want to try Wema Guages. Very reliable and reasonably priced. They also have a good tech department. They have a facility in Ft Lauderdale.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Capt. Don

Glad to see he's still in business, Bill is a good guy, great service. I got one of his holding tank monitors, what, 7 years ago. Still, I like something more precise for water for the style of boating we do.

I think you mean Dennis. Contact Page

Dennis provides great personal service and support.

Yeah, I don't know why I keep calling him Bill. Whatever his name, he is a good guy to do biz with!

I use Raritan's 4 tank monitor system, it works fantastic on my 2 Poly fresh water tanks, I set it upon installation and it has been accurate for 5 years. However the poop tank not so good it's all over the map. I find as the deposits build up from the heads discharge into the tank it reads too full. I should have installed the foil and sensors on the opposite side of the tank so it's an installation error not a defective Raritan problem. I'll eventually move it before selling the boat.
Bill

I put a wema sending unit in a couple years ago because of recommendations of others and it has worked without problem.

You mat want to try Wema Guages. Very reliable and reasonably priced. They also have a good tech department. They have a facility in Ft Lauderdale.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Capt. Don

Our WEMA water sensor/gauge reads full when full, almost empty when half full. That's not a particularly thorny problem, since I know about it, and since we have a way to actually eyeball the tanks.

The holding tank sensor sometimes get's stuck -- like when the tank is dead empty after a pump out, and it sits empty for several days -- although a good THWACK! on the tank with a rubber mallet usually breaks it loose. Not so easy to get to, in our case...

It helps to actually eyeball a full tank -- at the tank -- and compare that with what the gauge says, so you know how to interpret the reading. Our holding tank is full when the gauge needle hits the top of the middle white area, i.e., BEFORE the gauge needle enters the red zone.

These are the new (i.e., installed on my watch) stainless in-tank sensors. The original plastic sensors were crapped out (so to speak) when we got the boat.

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom