Eating while cruising......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got to admit, that Coot is bigger than it looks.

Attachments

• CootTardis.jpg
    CootTardis.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 75
Fresh food is usually gone in the first week.

This reduces the food to frozen , which depending on the size of the freezer can be a short or long time, but it too eventually is empty and useful only for left overs , or chilling beverages.

That leaves dry and cans towards the end of the voyage as freeze dried or MRE are expensive for what you get.

For over a month the sheer volume of food required may tax most locker space

George

You be the judge, all of these at anchor:

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.
DSC_0353.JPG

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.
DSC_0252.JPG

P1010052.JPG

P1010061.JPG

wol_error.gif
DSC_0474.JPG

George

That's what I call healthy eating. We may not live longer but we sure will live better and happier. That's a fact and I don't need any statistic to prove me right.

I would say we eat the same. Not healthier, not less healthy. Someone mentioned not snacking as much and I find that to be true.

We find ourselves in a marina every three days or so and eating at restaurants. We usually eat half our meal, then microwave it the next day for dinner. Other than that, we carry the non-refrigerated microwave meals (beef and potatoes or chicken and dumplings, for example) and add canned vegetables for a meal.

My galley is very small and primitive. Fridge with freezer, toaster oven, rice cooker, coffee pot, propane single burner (portable), elec hot plate (portable), small portable grill.

I had a microwave, but it is big and I found I rarely used it. So off the boat it went.

Big fan of the toaster oven. It is only about 500w so easily runs on 1kW inverter. Can fit a full brick of Stouffer's lasagna (favorite treat!!). Makes toast, can warm up things on a ceramic plate, cheese on crackers, etc, etc. Very versatile.

Coffee pot, rice cooker and elec hot plate easily run off inverter. Coffee pot has biggest draw of about 700w. Usually turn off fridge when making coffee, as it is right at limit of inverter.

Curried rice and sauteed fish and steamed frozen veggies- typical boat meal. Pretty healthy stuff.

Slow cooked meals are no problem when cruising. Can't be in a hurry as what the heck else are you going to do?? I'm much more patient cooking on the boat than when on the dirt.

If it is rough, that limits options. My galley kit is not very good at cooking when rough. Also at night it is right behind the helm and the lights bother the helmsman.

I also find that I lose a bit of weight and get better muscle tone when cruising. Good for me all around.

Also tend to spend less money. Fuel costs go up, but less opportunity to whip out the plastic when out there. Total monthly cc bill tends to go down.

I seem to be talking myself into another trip!!!

Greetings,
Mr. T. Modifications and he's hired all his in-laws.

Special, not on the menu, Filipino meal custom-ordered for us by the maitre d. (Perla has connections.)

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B736%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B592%3A5927245ot1lsi

Back
Top Bottom