Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #60
Billylll
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Even with all the equipment in the world we limit our night cruising. Generally outside, very moderate speed. The only inlet we enter at night is Port Everglades and there really is no nighttime there or between there and our home. It's almost as if you have street lights with all the lights lining the water.

Now for any who do intend to cruise canals or the ICW at night or other challenging areas, I would then strongly recommend night vision. It's certainly not cheap but it's pretty incredible in our experience. We have a little night travel in our upcoming Alaskan trip and very happy we have it for that. Also Furuno and others do have integration with Flir. But even if all you get is a monocular, it's worth having.
Starlight gen III is some pretty good stuff I prefer the FLIR over it. I have access, and used both. NV or Starlight needs IR to really work well and high power IR illumination has limitations.
FLIR really shines when you have too much back lighting from the shore. These same conditions can make a Starlight blind you. An important point about FLIR my wife or my watch monitors the FLIR, the display needs to be like MFD's as dim as are discernible.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote