Anchor Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is very pernicity to bring up on a lovely sunny Saturday morning, however as my old Statistics lecturer used to hammer into us.

There is no such thing as 999%. If you are comparing parts per 1,000 then the term is 999 per mil.

I'll go back to my Earl Grey tea now.

This is very pernicity to bring up on a lovely sunny Saturday morning, however as my old Statistics lecturer used to hammer into us.

There is no such thing as 999%. If you are comparing parts per 1,000 then the term is 999 per mil.

I'll go back to my Earl Grey tea now.

Wifey B: Well....duh. I think he meant to say 99.9%. But 999% is legitimate mathematically just not accurate here. Per my hubby, the math dude, you could for instance have a 999% increase in fuel expense.

Now probably best to be careful when pointing out the other guy's miscue. Pernicity? Assuming you meant "Pernickety" as in the British term for "Persnickety" meaning fussy, difficult to please, finicky, over fastidious. "Pernicity", a noun meaning celerity or swiftness. Actually quite an archaic term.

Ok, turning teacher side and English major side back off. Wild and crazy side returning. Now 110% smiling. Yeah....I know impossible. Like the athletes always talking about giving it 110%. Or as Yogi Berra would say, "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical."

Thank you WifeyB,

Yup that's what I meant.

And you ARE good w words! I should give you my I-pad and go fish'in.

Sometimes I do wonder how much trawler forming is done in the minds of those that never post anything. Mods .... Any idea how many lurkers are out there? I see TF stuff here and there. Googled something the other day and there were several pics on our boat Willy. And I've seen others. Are there some stats that would be interesting to see or are those things in a musty file in a CIA basement?

Mods .... Any idea how many lurkers are out there? I see TF stuff here and there. Googled something the other day and there were several pics on our boat Willy. And I've seen others. Are there some stats that would be interesting to see or are those things in a musty file in a CIA basement?

Well, 8691 members although I'm sure some of those are probably gone long ago. I'm sure the administrator and owner have plenty of stats. Nothing wrong with lurkers either. Hopefully they benefit and continue to come here.

Greetings,
Lurkers?

yzj1d3F.gif

Posted pictures are spread all over the Internet. For instance, Mare Island Causeway Bridge management wanted a picture of mine to be used on their website. Obviously, they found the picture doing a "Mare Island Bridge" search. I gave them permission.

Mare Island Causeway Bridge - City of Vallejo

Last edited:
RTF, That's very creepy.

Mark, Nice picture.

Posted pictures are spread all over the Internet.

It's the beauty of bots. Every search engine you can imagine are constantly "crawling" web sites, including this one, cataloging everything on them. One time I googled a subject and a 3 hour old thread here I hadn't seen yet came up as the top result.

Mods,
What do you tell people about your "circulation" when folks inquire about advertising?

How would this forum change or stay the same if suddenly all the lurkers were to vanish?

Mods,
What do you tell people about your "circulation" when folks inquire about advertising?

How would this forum change or stay the same if suddenly all the lurkers were to vanish?

Fewer clicks, less advertising dollars....simple.

Lurkers pay.

And "circulation" is visitors, unique visitors, views...and click through.

Now probably best to be careful when pointing out the other guy's miscue. Pernicity? Assuming you meant "Pernickety" as in the British term for "Persnickety" meaning fussy, difficult to please, finicky, over fastidious. "Pernicity", a noun meaning celerity or swiftness. Actually quite an archaic term.

Quite right, an early morning mental typo.

Yes, some dictionaries do describe it as an 'archaic term', which is often what I feel in the early mornings,archaic that is.

So, perhaps I'm not being too pernickety in claiming a certain 'celerity or swiftness' in defending my old Statistics lecturer.

However,it is the least i can do to acknowledge that 999% may also have been a typo. :flowers:

The American Merchant Seamans Manual suggests that the Navy uses 1 to 1.5lbs of anchor per ton of vessel plus an all chain rode.
So on my 49ft cat weighing in around 10 ton fully loaded I should have a 10 to 15lb anchor? :ermm:
Instead I have a 100lb manson supreme

Obviously unusual craft like yours require unusual applications to balance their unusual mass and shape.

The usual rules of thumb apply nicely to usual craft but are a mismatch for those that aren't typical.

look up the principles of how large ships anchor and compare it to small vessel situations...can't use their rule of thumb.

Yes if you size compared our trawler anchors to ships anchors either by mass or volume ours would come out HUGE.

The professionals are confident .. we are not it seems.

The professionals are confident .. we are not it seems.

The pros are manned 24/7 and usually anchor to wait for a pier opening so they can unload.

In some anchorages (like Delaware Bay), the USCG usually requires them to run their engines and have an underway crew on watch when winds are forecast to exceed 35 knots.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will be going with the 70lb plow with a danforth as a back up. Most folks that cruise the inside passage seem to use the CQR or plow. Now I need to practice anchoring. I have never owned a windlass so this will be an adventure.

"I think I will be going with the 70lb plow with a danforth as a back up."
Oh man! That anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.:lol:

"I think I will be going with the 70lb plow with a danforth as a back up."
Oh man! That anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.:lol:

Well that didn't come out right did it. I will be using the 70lb lewmar plow anchor with all chain rode as my primary and the 40lb danforth will go in the hold as a spare.

Better?:flowers:

Sea-Duction, I think it's a rule on marine related forums that no matter what anchor you choose, it's too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

Me? I think you have chosen well. I might go with a Delta Plow instead of a CQR because the Delta will self launch off your pulpit. Both are sold by Lewmar so I'm not sure which one you had in mind.

See? I told you someone would say it's the wrong kind.

Must be a bunch of old geezers on this site still talking anchor weight. Forget the weight it's holing power-setting ability-digging ability-resetting ability-structural strength. Within a particular anchor type size and weight will matter but not so important when comparing different types.

Just because I'm 74 that's no reason to call me a geezer.

But yea your'e right ... about the anchor weight I mean.

Design is however more important but once you've picked a design weight is important. But even one pound of weight in excess is bad seamanship.

Minimizing weight on your boat makes it a better boat and you a better Seaman.

Just because I'm 74 that's no reason to call me a geezer.

But yea your'e right ... about the anchor weight I mean.

Design is however more important but once you've picked a design weight is important. But even one pound of weight in excess is bad seamanship.

Minimizing weight on your boat makes it a better boat and you a better Seaman.

This thread has me a bit perplexed. Most of the discussion seems to revolve around anchor weight and design, or size. Anchor size and weight are used interchangeably and the 'bigger is better' theme is common.

My working anchor is a Fortress FX23 which only weighs 15 lb. and replaces steel fluke anchors up to 28 lb. According to the manufacturer's sizing chart it is recommended for boats 39-45' which is one or two sizes larger than what is recommended for my 30' boat.

So, for average use, is my anchor really too large? It is easy to handle and has never failed. Can it satisfy the 'bigger is better' concept at only 15 lb.?

There is such a large weight difference between a Fortress and anything else it is difficult to make any meaningful comparisons. I suspect as long as I cruise in areas where the bottom is suited to the over-sized Fortress, I should be OK in just about anything I am likely to face.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

This thread has me a bit perplexed. Most of at.

So, for average use, is my anchor really too large? It is easy to handle and has never failed. Can it satisfy the 'bigger is better' concept at only 15 lb.?

There is such a large weight difference between a Fortress and anything else it is difficult to make any meaningful comparisons. I suspect as long as I cruise in areas where the bottom is suited to the over-sized Fortress, I should be OK in just about anything I am likely to face.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Each type of anchor has its abilities and usually one matches the manufacturers tables of recommendations against the boat type weight and use pattern. So a 15 lb anchor of one type might be rated by that company for a boat that another company suggests a 35 or 40 lb anchor of a different type. With anchors you are dealing with oranges and apples and you just have to decide which fits you taste so to speak.

Each type of anchor has its abilities and usually one matches the manufacturers tables of recommendations against the boat type weight and use pattern. So a 15 lb anchor of one type might be rated by that company for a boat that another company suggests a 35 or 40 lb anchor of a different type. With anchors you are dealing with oranges and apples and you just have to decide which fits you taste so to speak.

You're also dealing with ratings and some effort to sell you on the fact their 15 lb will do more than their competitors. The ratings are not absolute.

True but the ratings can be matched against the many test of setting and holding power such as those done by practical sailor magazine for some degree of verification..

Back
Top Bottom