Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over the weekend it p!ssed down with rain so Flic and I did a little bit of fibreglassing and epoxy filleting in the bilge getting her ready for sanding and paint prep next weekend and then on to painting!

I grabbed a Poly Flex coupling and a couple of other bits and pieces for the engine upcoming engine fitment

Today Did my first Rope to chain splice. Came up ok I reckon.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
You should have a vapor barrier against any surface adjacent to the exterior if you're going to use fiberglass bats. Without it, the surface will condensate and the fiberglass will get wet. The DIY closed cell polyurethane spray foam kits do this job well ( two part ). 1/2" or an 1" would be enough for an adequate vapor barrier. The material is fire rated. I've welded and plasma cut through this foam, and once the source of ignition is gone, the flame goes out.

My boat's steel, so condensate is more of an issue, but wood and fiberglass will also sweat. Home builders around my area have been using spray foam for years now on house's. Because the stuff works so good , but is a little pricey, some builders will spray an inch over the framing, then finish off with bats.

In my ER, I sprayed closed cell, then 2" of rock wool sheet material , then sheathed with perforated aluminum.

I think the DIY kits cost about $1.00 a board foot. The yield is not as good as advertised, so you're going to have some material left over that cannot be sprayed.

Looking good on your project.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

Last edited:
You should have a vapor barrier against any surface adjacent to the exterior if you're going to use fiberglass bats. Without it, the surface will condensate and the fiberglass will get wet. The DIY closed cell polyurethane spray foam kits do this job well ( two part ). 1/2" or an 1" would be enough for an adequate vapor barrier. The material is fire rated. I've welded and plasma cut through this foam, and once the source of ignition is gone, the flame goes out.

My boat's steel, so condensate is more of an issue, but wood and fiberglass will also sweat. Home builders around my area have been using spray foam for years now on house's. Because the stuff works so good , but is a little pricey, some builders will spray an inch over the framing, then finish off with bats.

In my ER, I sprayed closed cell, then 2" of rock wool sheet material , then sheathed with perforated aluminum.

I think the DIY kits cost about $1.00 a board foot. The yield is not as good as advertised, so you're going to have some material left over that cannot be sprayed.

Looking good on your project.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

Hi mate,
Have you got a link for this foam? If so, can you please send it through so I can see what we have similar over here

Cheers mate
Matt.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greetings,
Mr. H. The significant mention in Mr. 63's post, in my opinion, is this: "...sheathed with perforated aluminum." Ventilation my friend.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. H. The significant mention in Mr. 63's post, in my opinion, is this: "...sheathed with perforated aluminum." Ventilation my friend.

Yeah noticed that mate. Appreciate the reminder, however, this is Perth, Western Australia. There's more risk of the ER bursting into flames than getting condensation on the floor boards lol ... Totally different climate than what you guys are used too. I suet the other Aussie members will concur :)

Last edited:
Matt -
Proper insulation techniques aren't a high priority in most of Australia due to the minimal difference in temperature between outside and in. It might be still worth keeping in mind how the system "breathes" when sealing between hot and cold. Let the cold side breathe.

On a different note: THANKS A BUNCH for the shiny new bow roller!! :thumb::D
So nice to be the recipient of good karma and I'll make sure it rolls on.

It arrived while I was away, postage paid , and I gave it a test fit yesterday. It multiplies my boat bling x3. It will be the main ingredient for the nose job on my boat.
I'll post a thread with before and after pics.

You've also got me thinking whether a new Sarca might look better on the roller rather than my Marsh stockless anchor. hmmmm

Matt -
Proper insulation techniques aren't a high priority in most of Australia due to the minimal difference in temperature between outside and in. It might be still worth keeping in mind how the system "breathes" when sealing between hot and cold. Let the cold side breathe.

It arrived while I was away, postage paid , and I gave it a test fit yesterday. It multiplies my boat bling x3. It will be the main ingredient for the nose job on my boat.

You've also got me thinking whether a new Sarca might look better on the roller rather than my Marsh stockless anchor. hmmmm

Oh Yeah…definitely...

Matt -

Hi mate. Yeah I agree, and agree with RT and everyone else that mentioned ventilation.

As you've mentioned, Condensation is not as serious in Australia, more so here in WA due to the dryness and lack of humidity so I'm not too passionate about mentioning it but it is in the forefront of my mind and will come up with a design innovation to address this matter and appreciate the reminders and the fact that y'all are looking out for the best interests of AXE and us.

Glad your prize arrived mate. Make sure you post some pics, Can't wait to see how she looks and I reckon a new SARCA would look great, as well as ensuring your lady stays planted firmly to the sea floor.

Last edited:
Hey that went well. That's a first for the forum I think Matt. Little peeks at the great man (or woman) in action like that from time to time, especially when doing something which represents a real milestone, would be very interesting.

V - COOL Vid snaps! TY Champ!!

And the Bilge is in Colour! ...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Jeez that time lapse is spectacular. How'd you do that..?

It makes you guys look like real tyros. Hey, the Wallabies could do with you in the ruck and maul Matt.

Looking good. What timber did you use for the stem?

Cut two 500mm X 500mm inspection hatches in my 850L water tank. Cost all up was $190.00

Pretty stoked considering some of the costs I saw for inspection hatches

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404605.273091.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404625.342891.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404643.370340.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404714.716897.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404749.329678.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404798.232352.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404813.475820.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404831.764115.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404853.072579.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402404915.981945.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402405031.150635.jpg

Shaft Seal arrived. Changed over the crappy hose clamps to something more robust. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402476844.948462.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402476869.741555.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1402476892.646827.jpg

Hendo,

I saw this a couple of berths down from me, and thought it was about the same length as Axe. It got me to wondering what you have in mind for the topsides?

Attachments

• mercwooden boat 006.jpg
    mercwooden boat 006.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 107
  • mercwooden boat 007.jpg
    mercwooden boat 007.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 109
Hendo,
Thanks for all the posts on your build. I mean re-build. At first I was expecting to see your project fizzle like so many projects do. But much suprise to me you seem still steaming right along. Congrats, I have been amazed to see all of the input from other enthusists on aspects of your build and your gratious encouragement for suggestions. Keep up the good work and many of us, from the looks of the viewers, will continue to cheer your progress. Cheers mate from "Over here". Toolbuddie

Hendo,
Thanks for all the posts on your build. I mean re-build. At first I was expecting to see your project fizzle like so many projects do. But much suprise to me you seem still steaming right along. Congrats, I have been amazed to see all of the input from other enthusists on aspects of your build and your gratious encouragement for suggestions. Keep up the good work and many of us, from the looks of the viewers, will continue to cheer your progress. Cheers mate from "Over here". Toolbuddie

Agreed X 10!

Hendo,

G'day mate.
Cheers for you words of encouragement. Yeah look I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tried to chuck the towel in (more than once) but through the countless personal messages and emails I get from contributors, gives me the drive and inner strength to carry on.

I'm overwhelmed by the support and ideas that are given to me as well as the friendship I am lucky to have gained.

I will continue to encourage positive participation in my project. I have had my arse saved on several occasions from mistakes I've made being bought to my attention and will always be thankful for that. I may not always take the advice given, but I can guarantee I have taken it into consideration and thought long and hard before moving on.

I'm glad you are enjoying my thread and hope you continue to contribute.

Thank you again for you kind words of support.

Regards
Hendo

Last edited:
Where's the flybridge?:D (Mark stay out of this :D)

Lol oh look I've always wanted a FB mate. I would dearly love to chuck one up and in the early stages drew up some rough plans of an enclosed FB with a single steering station but alas, my little engine doesn't have enough poke to get me up on the plane and steering from up top wouldn't be too pretty in a choppy or swelly sea.

I'll just have live vicariously through you and your ship :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom